PDA

View Full Version : campy skeleton brake ?

scpknees
12-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Does anyone know if these brakes work better than the previous model, or would i be better off keeping my old style. One more question for you. Could I get better braking from different pads. Im running the stock campy pads now.

Thank you!

Viper
12-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Skeletor brakes are no more effective imho. What vintage/year are your brakes?

Getting the old pads out takes five minutes of elbow grease, inserting Kool Stop Salmon pads would improve braking power, see 'Campy Refills':

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html

AASHTA

(As Always Sheldon Has The Answer)

:beer:

Ken Robb
12-22-2008, 09:46 AM
what aspect of your current brakes do you find below your desires for performance? I have or had Ultegra 6500, DA 7700 and 7800, 10 spd Chorus(pre differential) dual pivots and I still have one bike with Nuovo Record sidepulls. Except for the NRs they all provided one-finger wheel-locking power with good feel and control. The 7800 brakes required even less effort than the others and the NR brakes have a lot more "control" than "power" and are excellent foer building up one's forearms :rolleyes: .

I haven't ridden a bike w/the new skeleton brakes but based on my experience with those listed above I don't see how they can be much of an improvement performance-wise but I can see that they would be a pain to clean. I suppose they are a few grams lighter but I don't care about that.
It is a bit ironic after years of trying to increase braking power that the previous big improvement in Campy brakes was the differential rear which is designed to have LESS power so a rider is less likely to lock the rear wheel.

Elefantino
12-22-2008, 10:46 AM
No. There is no perceptible difference in performance, all things being equal.

Weight savings are about 30g.

I've been told that chicks dig the skeleton brakes, but I've yet to confirm that.

vqdriver
12-22-2008, 11:14 AM
depending on what you're running now, skeletons may actually decrease your raw braking power in the rear as mentioned since it goes back to the single pivot design.

i've got the chorus skeleton setup now and they're fine. not stupid strong, but not bad. i have a set of DA calipers that i've held onto just in case i didn't like the skeletons.

if you want simply more braking power, step up to shimano brakes. yes, there is a difference.

lavi
12-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Aside from having a mixed groupo bike, are there any issues with running ergo levers with shimano brakes? Is it possible to have the braking power of shimao with the style/aesthetic of campy? I don't know that of actualy do it myself, i'm just asking.

Ken Robb
12-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Aside from having a mixed groupo bike, are there any issues with running ergo levers with shimano brakes? Is it possible to have the braking power of shimao with the style/aesthetic of campy? I don't know that of actualy do it myself, i'm just asking.

It worked for me. I liked having the release on the levers and on the calipers too so I could keep the pads adjusted close to the rims and still get a 700x32 tire in/out without letting air out.

CPP
12-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Im not an expert (on anything), but a cable from a lever to a brake, is a cable from a lever to a brake. Be it Campy, Shimano, OG, Cane Creek etc. etc.

Ken Robb
12-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Im not an expert (on anything), but a cable from a lever to a brake, is a cable from a lever to a brake. Be it Campy, Shimano, OG, Cane Creek etc. etc.

True, but you can have problems if you use road levers with V-brakes due to different lever pull:cable travel ratio. I no of no brand A to brand B incompatibility.

CPP
12-22-2008, 12:41 PM
True, but you can have problems if you use road levers with V-brakes due to different lever pull:cable travel ratio. I no of no brand A to brand B incompatibility.

Yes, I was thinking road lever, road brake

scpknees
12-22-2008, 12:49 PM
what aspect of your current brakes do you find below your desires for performance? I have or had Ultegra 6500, DA 7700 and 7800, 10 spd Chorus(pre differential) dual pivots and I still have one bike with Nuovo Record sidepulls. Except for the NRs they all provided one-finger wheel-locking power with good feel and control. The 7800 brakes required even less effort than the others and the NR brakes have a lot more "control" than "power" and are excellent foer building up one's forearms :rolleyes: .

I haven't ridden a bike w/the new skeleton brakes but based on my experience with those listed above I don't see how they can be much of an improvement performance-wise but I can see that they would be a pain to clean. I suppose they are a few grams lighter but I don't care about that.
It is a bit ironic after years of trying to increase braking power that the previous big improvement in Campy brakes was the differential rear which is designed to have LESS power so a rider is less likely to lock the rear wheel.
Im currently using the 2003 record&chorus differential brakes. Im looking for more power for the rear brake as i do alot of riding on hilly roads when on descents you can coast easily at 40 +, occasionally the descents will have sections of loose gravel that's when i need to stop quick. sometimes the gravel is so loose im only comfortable using the rear only which scares the heck out of me.you also have animals to worry about. In most cases the brakes are fine though.

Elefantino
12-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Im currently using the 2003 record&chorus differential brakes. Im looking for more power for the rear brake as i do alot of riding on hilly roads when on descents you can coast easily at 40 +, occasionally the descents will have sections of loose gravel that's when i need to stop quick. sometimes the gravel is so loose im only comfortable using the rear only which scares the heck out of me.you also have animals to worry about. In most cases the brakes are fine though.
I have the 03 Records, a new pads and clean rims make them stop like a brick wall.

93LegendTG
12-22-2008, 01:05 PM
I've ridden all generations of Campy brakes and of the last three offerings, I really found no difference in power/feel. If what you what is a stonger rear brake, I'd go to ebay and pick up one of the non-differential, (dual pivot), rears. They go for next to nothing nowdays. They are heavier, but are stronger and have that nice centering adjustment like the fronts. Different pads in back would also give the brakes more grab. I put a set of red Yokozuna pads and brake shoes on my Deltas and they now work like dual pivots.

Elefantino
12-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Aside from having a mixed groupo bike, are there any issues with running ergo levers with shimano brakes? Is it possible to have the braking power of shimano with the style/aesthetic of campy? I don't know that of actualy do it myself, i'm just asking.
This will happen.

http://mesikammen.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/nuclear-bomb-badger350.jpg

Or this.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/14573-POD/1099834~Four-Horsemen-of-the-Apocalypse-Posters.jpg

Or maybe this.

http://ksjtracker.mit.edu/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/exploding-earth.jpg

93LegendTG
12-22-2008, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=Elefantino]This will happen.

Thank God I went with Sram calipers on my Campy equiped TT bike!

Elefantino
12-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Thank God I went with Sram calipers on my Campy equiped TT bike!
:no:

thwart
12-22-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm no expert on brakes... ;)

But I have a bike with Chorus Skeletons, another with 2004 Record (differential front and rear model) brakes, and one with 7700 Dura Ace. All with standard pads... and I switch around wheels between the three.

The DA's have the most stopping power. Little doubt here.

The Records have the best modulation and are my favorites; you can panic brake (as hard as my hands can pull, anyway) without locking up and breaking loose the rear wheel (unlike the DA's).

I can tell no difference from the Records and Chorus Skeletons, functionally.

But the chicks dig Record... :banana:

Johny
12-22-2008, 04:25 PM
But the chicks dig Record... :banana:

Sorry, but the chicks dig Super Record... :beer:

Johny
12-22-2008, 04:30 PM
FWIW, imho, 2007 and 2008 Chorus Skeletons are one of the best looking brakes and go really cheap now. Silver and hidden pivot bolt, what is not to like.

2009 Chorus is so 2008 Centaur -- exposed pivot bolts.

Ken Robb
12-22-2008, 04:49 PM
FWIW, imho, 2007 and 2008 Chorus Skeletons are one of the best looking brakes and go really cheap now. Silver and hidden pivot bolt, what is not to like.

2009 Chorus is so 2008 Centaur -- exposed pivot bolts.
I don't like the holes.

Elefantino
12-22-2008, 05:22 PM
I did the old Record brakes. I used to dig the old monoplaner brakes but lost the dig when the new ones came out.

I used to dig Delta brakes, too, except for the complete lack of stopping power in the Croce model.

johnnymossville
12-22-2008, 05:38 PM
I have 2008 Record-D Skeleton brakes on my new bike with SRAM Carbon Rival Levers and SRAM cables. Competitive Cyclist was having a great sale on them a few months ago.

I can't compare them to DA but they feel better than the Ultegras I've tried recently. I find the Records to have great modulation and I have locked up the rear tire just to see how it feels.

RudAwkning
12-22-2008, 05:47 PM
FYI, the amount of cable needed to actuate the new 2009 Dura Ace brakes is significantly more. It's recommended that you don't use the new brakes with older levers or the new levers with older brakes.

The good news is that because the new levers will pull more cable, you may be able to the new Dura Ace levers with V-Brakes without using a Travel Agent.

Tektro's RL520 brake levers should also work with the 2009 DA brakes.

Johny
12-22-2008, 06:59 PM
I did the old Record brakes. I used to dig the old monoplaner brakes but lost the dig when the new ones came out.

I used to dig Delta brakes, too, except for the complete lack of stopping power in the Croce model.

I also like older Records better...imho, 1996-2006 Records function and look the best.

I still have 2 sets of Chorus monoplaners and 2 sets of Record Deltas in the closet...

Pete Serotta
12-22-2008, 07:01 PM
:D :confused: :D

Johny
12-22-2008, 07:25 PM
How do you know???? :D :confused: :D

I know you would like to know... ;)

Seriously, imho, 2009 Super Record rear derailleur and shifters are super HOT!!!

lavi
12-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Don't cross the beams! :beer:

bnewt07
12-23-2008, 01:08 AM
I wonder if Campag have changed the standard pad compound?

Not a scientific test but I got fed up with the braking on my old Chorus set and flipped out the Campag refills for Kool Stops until I bought some Record Skeletons and they seem fine with the standard pad. The old ones always seemed too hard and never actually wore down much but the current ones wear down more quickly.

Just a thought. Perhaps I just lost my bottle and brake more!