PDA

View Full Version : Let's say you were in the market for an 80s Chorus Group...

Sasha18
12-21-2008, 06:27 PM
How much would you expect to pay for a lightly used one?

Including downtube shifters, brakes and levers, crankset, Mavic ma-40 wheels with a new 7spd regina freewheel, front and rear mech, chain, post, etc. It's obviously used but still shiny and fully functional. No saddle, stem, bars, pedals.

A friend mine wants to share the cost of an old SLX frameset he's found. He wants to update the parts and I'd like to build up the Cinelli Supercorsa I have in the basement. I'm trying to make sure I pay a fair price - to him and from me.

Marcusaurelius
12-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Well just so long as the down tube shifters are friction and not campagnolo's very bad attempt at index shifting it would be alright. Also, the monoplanar brakes don't have great stopping power. I would pay around $175-$250 maybe if all the parts looked good.

Sasha18
12-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the info about the shifters. I'm not very familiar with this vintage of campy. The monoplanar brakes are cool looking, but I've ridden some similar vintage shimano brakes and they are not the most effective, when compared to recent iterations.

Any other forum insights?

93LegendTG
12-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Well just so long as the down tube shifters are friction and not campagnolo's very bad attempt at index shifting it would be alright. Also, the monoplanar brakes don't have great stopping power. I would pay around $175-$250 maybe if all the parts looked good.

+1
$200-$250 tops and only if its in really nice shape. Remember that '80's Chorus was third in the Campy line-up.
A Cinelli Supercorsa deserves Record.

Sasha18
12-22-2008, 01:48 PM
3rd? Is that because there were to versions of record - normal everyday record and super-record?

Considering that it once had a mix of 105 and ultegra parts, this would be a step in the right direction.

texbike
12-22-2008, 01:53 PM
3rd? Is that because there were to versions of record - normal everyday record and super-record?

Considering that it once had a mix of 105 and ultegra parts, this would be a step in the right direction.

At the time of its introduction, there was C (corsa) Record, Croce, and then Chorus.

Texbike