PDA

View Full Version : Ernesto sent the jerk a prize....

jerk
11-21-2004, 06:41 PM
via Texas. So as a complete surprise to the jerk, a 2005 c-50 high-modulus is en route to chez jerk. the god father himself measured the jerk at eicma a few years ago, the jerk asked that mr. colnago make the jerk a bike and it's on its way finally...although honestly the jerk had sort of forgotten about it. anyway, it's black with white colnago letters and has a star fork. the jerk heard it looks just like the landbouwkrediet custom bikes which shared the same production run. anyway, it's a colnago 61 with a little bit of a longer top tube and a slightly shorter headtube.....so the jerk asks all his pals to put in their votes on how to dress this one up. so far the jerk is thinking silver sundries (seatpost, stem, bars etc.) the jerk hasn't even decided whether to put campy or shimano on it and doesn't really know what it'll use for wheels. think shiny silver. so whatcha think? remember, cinelli 66/65 bars are a must since no one makes a good round bar anymore, (the jerk has'em both in 26.0) but with everything else the jerk defers. you guys know what the jerk likes.

jerk

M_A_Martin
11-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Classic silver. Harder to do these days but I think it looks best on a bike. You can get Campy 10 speed silver levers for your ergo shifters, you just have to look around a bit.

Black only if the "blacks" match and you pull all the logos off of everything, after all, the point is the bike, not the accessories.

BumbleBeeDave
11-21-2004, 08:12 PM
. . . but I must be misreading your post somehow. Nowhere does it mention you paying for this bike . . . :confused: :confused: :confused:

So Ernesto just, uh, likes you or what? :confused:

BBDave

Redturbo
11-21-2004, 08:19 PM
Jerk,
The Reynolds Alta's are worth a look. I picked up a set back in August and "I like them, I like them alot". Reynolds says the are using their own hubs, but they still look like White Inds to me.

turbo

Chief
11-21-2004, 08:20 PM
I personally like an all black bike, or as much black as possible, since it looks rather stealthy and depicts a certain attitude that probably matches the jerk's personality. Remember that you can go wrong with basic black. :cool:

vaxn8r
11-21-2004, 08:20 PM
Not to start an argument about Shima or Campy....not my intent. But a C50....yes, an Italian group on an Italian breed of course that would never be wrong. But....been there done that. Boring. But...the C50! Cutting edge looks. Cutting edge function. Put DA 10 on it and be done with it. Down to the wheels, if you can bear clinchers. Function and looks. No worries about silver this or that. It's done. Add to that maybe a Blackstick post to complement the carbon. All I ask is no freakin silly a$$ leather seat. You'll kill it man.

Futuristic! Killa bike...

jerk
11-21-2004, 08:21 PM
bee-man,
ernesto doesn't like or dislike the jerk.ernesto probably wouldn't even recognize him. when the jerk met him, the jerk's buddy masimo told sr. colnago what team the jerk used to race for. sr. colnago looked the jerk up and down, the jerk had a big shi*t eat- grin on his face and ernesto said, "la sua squadra era merda". it was the nicest compliment....but no, the jerk does have to pay for it somehow. there are no free colnagos unless you're the pope. even yaroslav and ludo have to give them back at the end of the season.
jerk

shinomaster
11-21-2004, 08:50 PM
I speak no Italian but did he say you were on a ****ty team? Motorola or 7-11??

Why didn't Motorola win more races? They seemed to have a few good racers!

BumbleBeeDave
11-21-2004, 09:19 PM
. . . I do believe that DOES translate to “Your team was Sh***y” or something similar. Hey, look! I speak Italian now! He’s a genius! I just hang out on the same forum with him and I speak Italian now! Do you think Dario P. Would give me a free bike? ;) ;) :rolleyes:

BBDave-issimo (as e-richie would say!)

slowgoing
11-21-2004, 09:36 PM
stronzo (caca forte)!

Or as they say further south, strunz!

Not a fan of too much silver bling on carbon bikes, but who cares, go for it.

coylifut
11-21-2004, 11:08 PM
I like the silver. The first bike I saw with DA 10 was a picture of Boogerd's C 50. It had classic looking grey anodized hoops on it though. Silver's so retro, it's new all over again.

Too Tall
11-22-2004, 08:25 AM
Nah, Ernesto looked at him and thought "this is def. a case of low hanging fruit, the man is a square."

1. Cranks: http://www.fly-sports.com/products/cranks.html
why: shiny
2. Wheels: Nimble Fly
why: fast
3. Post: Bold http://www.boldprecision.com/bicycle.htm#seatpost
4. Stem: Lleyelyn SS http://www.llewellynbikes.com/thegallery/caststemlugs
5. Shaddap and pull out your checkbook.

Climb01742
11-22-2004, 08:36 AM
hey, too tall, the folks at nimble are freakin' great. incredibly nice, knowledgeable and even shipped me a wheelset before i'd given them the dough just 'cause they're good people.

zap
11-22-2004, 09:06 AM
jerk-i'm surprised-italian bike-campy
wheels-new carbon eurus. shiny rim.

tootall-fly sports is a scam. Plenty of people lost deposits on this vaporware.

dirtdigger88
11-22-2004, 09:08 AM
I personally like an all black bike, or as much black as possible, since it looks rather stealthy and depicts a certain attitude that probably matches the jerk's personality. Remember that you can go wrong with basic black. :cool:

Not to disagree with you here Cheif- but check out the pix of my Legend in the Image Gallery- I went with lots-o -silver and I think my bike looks fairly stealthy- Just my .02

Jason

dbrk
11-22-2004, 09:18 AM
I've owned the C40 (I dare not say how many times...) and found it unremarkable, size and fit issues aside. But the recent Cycling Plus review of the C50 and so many comments and other reviews, have piqued my interest in this new-Ernesto. I'm not gonna spend that kinda' money, however. Frames over $3000 are mostly not going to receive much more than my lusty interest (but not my dollars) 'cause I just don't think any bicycle frame/fork is worth that, period.

As for Senor's bike: hmmm, DA10 with some better looking crank than that butt-ugly thing that passes off as Shimano's contribution to improvement. The bike industry just has to sell stuff whether or not it is better; the silly thing is that we keep buying it. I like silver better than black and the DA10 levers are my current favorites but I positively refuse to pay the price (again, these are 30% better than last year? Nahhh.)

dt shifters will end up being fine with me on my under 3K bike,

dbrk

Too Tall
11-22-2004, 09:42 AM
DOH! Better cancel the check ;)

jeffg
11-22-2004, 10:04 AM
for the price. Tour tested a 57cm (C-T) C-50 at 1505g for the frame, namely 100g heavier than my Legend! For a CF frame, this seems pretty lame, IMHO. If you are going to give up the feel of a metal frame for the quietness of CF, then I would rather have a Parlee or (given dbrk's cost parameters) a Scott CR-1. At least the CR-1 is superlight, stiff, and handles well. With DA 10 and Kysriums it is under 15 lbs. and costs a little over $4K. I'll leave the C-50 to the pope ...

Climb01742
11-22-2004, 10:16 AM
without pedals, my DA10 equipped hampsten/parlee Z1 weighs 14.5 pounds.

weisan
11-22-2004, 10:32 AM
dbrk, I subscribe to your philosophy. ;)

Senor Jerk, listen to your own advice...if you have any doubts, just do a search for "Jerk" and you would find tons of recommendations that will satisfy your heart's desires. :p

weisan

I've owned the C40 (I dare not say how many times...) and found it unremarkable, size and fit issues aside. But the recent Cycling Plus review of the C50 and so many comments and other reviews, have piqued my interest in this new-Ernesto. I'm not gonna spend that kinda' money, however. Frames over $3000 are mostly not going to receive much more than my lusty interest (but not my dollars) 'cause I just don't think any bicycle frame/fork is worth that, period.

As for Senor's bike: hmmm, DA10 with some better looking crank than that butt-ugly thing that passes off as Shimano's contribution to improvement. The bike industry just has to sell stuff whether or not it is better; the silly thing is that we keep buying it. I like silver better than black and the DA10 levers are my current favorites but I positively refuse to pay the price (again, these are 30% better than last year? Nahhh.)

dt shifters will end up being fine with me on my under 3K bike,

dbrk

slowgoing
11-22-2004, 12:01 PM
Climb, how do you ride that thing without pedals?

Climb01742
11-22-2004, 12:41 PM
downhill, mostly. ;)

shinomaster
11-22-2004, 01:19 PM
grey Centaur parts with Zonda wheels..

slowgoing
11-22-2004, 01:39 PM
14 pound downhill bike.

Yikes.

And good luck.

Climb01742
11-22-2004, 01:49 PM
slowgoing, i just mentioned the 14.5 pound weight 'cause we weighed it at the bike shop without pedals. it's actual weight is now higher, 'cause i switched wheels and oh, yes, added pedals. so it's true weight is probably 16 pounds now, which luckily still helps going uphill too. ;) the frame itself is basically two pounds, yet with just the right amount of stiffness. carbon is amazing.

Dr. Doofus
11-22-2004, 03:04 PM
Record.

And you are still a punk until Ugo DeRosa hand brazes your next frame and paints "Squadra Merdra" on the top tube, just for you.

jerk
11-22-2004, 06:25 PM
the jerk is really mad....the jerk went to go press the headset in tonight....tiso magnesium...and the fork was really tight going up and into the bearings so was the stem and even a headset spacer....so the jerk goes to meausure the little bastard and the thing is ovalized. an $800 star frreaking fork is ovalized and out of spec....it looks like the theres a raised ridge running down the length of the carbon steerer tube....this is the worst. the jerk will have to get another one.
the jerk knows this sounds really stupid but this fork has the extra columbus decals on the legs which only star forks given to landbouwkrediet have....oh well. the jerk deserves it he guesses. :crap: :crap: :crap:

Chief
11-22-2004, 07:08 PM
Sorry to hear of your problems. :crap: What happened to quality control? :crap: :crap:

dbrk
11-22-2004, 07:18 PM
so the jerk goes to meausure the little bastard and the thing is ovalized. an $800 star frreaking fork is ovalized and out of spec....it looks like the theres a raised ridge running down the length of the carbon steerer tube....this is the worst. :crap:

Oh dear. This would not be anything like good. Can we ask for pictures? I'm always interested in these sorts of screw-ups. It's not like they only happen on Colnagos or foreigners bikes. Hardly. It's so darn frustrating.

Which Dugasts does this bike get, senor? I'm thinking about ones not as fatboy as the ones I'm using on my Rivendell Racer (custom, Curt, perfect, etc.) for the Nag-man's bike...I've already built the SSc rims to DA hubs 28h, just right for me. Dang. I feel for you, brother. It'll work out. Youda'man.

dbrk

jerk
11-22-2004, 07:54 PM
the jerk will let you guys know how this is resolved. the jerk assumes it will be. in any case, dugast speed silks will be the tire of choice for this one. dbrk- let the jerk know if you need more tires. the paris roubaixs are available a little narrower too. there are some really weird silk soyo tubulars which might feel more at home on a nagasawa though!
jerk

Jack Brunk
11-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Hey Mr. Jerk,

Do you have any Dugast Strada cotton's or silks available? I just bought the last two cotton Strada's (22MM) that I know exist in the US. Can you help ?

Jack

jerk
11-22-2004, 09:05 PM
yup, got'em both. email me. and i'll let you know. the speed silk is the jerk's new favorite though.

jerk