PDA

View Full Version : Experience with cortisone?

MassBiker
12-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Anyone have any past experience with cortisone injections - good, bad, ugly?

A.L.Breguet
12-20-2008, 03:22 PM
I have no direct experience, but this guy crippled himself with cortisone injections to beat Merckx.
Scary.
What's your doc say?

rePhil
12-20-2008, 03:30 PM
In my case cortisone was a generic term. My MD mixed a coctail for my Plantar fasciitis. Relief was almost immediate.
My wife has had a few for Bursitis.

What sort of info are you looking for?

1centaur
12-20-2008, 03:38 PM
My wife got a calcium deposit in her elbow from holding our son a lot when he was a toddler. Got a cortisone injection and was told that can only be done once in the same spot. Helped some but not completely, if I recall. Some kind of physical therapy fixed it for real, IIRC.

93legendti
12-20-2008, 03:50 PM
I had one 20 years ago for an elbow problem. The problem went away a few months later, but I think it was because I changed my mechanics, not because of the injenction.

mhc
12-20-2008, 05:16 PM
I messed up my left shoulder rock climbing a few years ago. Over a period of 6 months it got more and more painful. It eventually reached the point where I couldn't lift my hand over my head or reach into my back pocket to get my wallet, so I decided to see the doctor. During the visit, she gave me a cortisone shot right in the shoulder joint. The effect was amazing. By the next evening, there was no pain and I had full mobility. The change was so quick and complete it was almost scary. And the pain never came back.

Ti-Boy
12-20-2008, 05:37 PM
I've had two cortisone shots in my left shoulder spaced about 10 years apart. Helped a lot each time, but I consider it a last resort solution.

gasman
12-20-2008, 05:45 PM
It depends on your age and why you are getting the injection. The younger you are the more likely that rest, ice and time will relieve your problem. A cortisone shot may give more immediate relief but you can only try it a couple times, after that you run the risk of having the cartilage or tendons break down and cause more problems.

slowgoing
12-20-2008, 05:58 PM
I heard not to get it for tendonitis in the achilles because it promotes rupture.

SadieKate
12-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Listen to all of the above. It depends on the location and the reason . . . and the frequency.

I had one in my left shoulder for impingement, but the doc was adamant that I follow up with exercises. Cyclist don't do enough flexibility and strength moves with their upper bodies. Once I could only get food out of my right jersey pocket, I knew it was time to do something.

The shot relieved the pain enough I could sleep again and start some exercises. When I have to go back to hugging a pillow while sleeping, I know I've become lax.

gasman
12-20-2008, 07:53 PM
I heard not to get it for tendonitis in the achilles because it promotes rupture.

true that

Lifelover
12-20-2008, 11:28 PM
I think it will be a steroid and not cortisone, but I hope to get something for my back in the next week. MRI on Monday. They suspect I have a slight herniation around L5 (?) that is causing pressure on the sciatic nerve.

Oral steroids made a 50% improvement in less than 48 hrs.

I can't wait for the shot!

Edit: cortisone is a steroid! Dah!

I'll report back after I get the shot.

dekindy
12-21-2008, 07:48 AM
My father's doctor advised him to postpone knee replacement surgery for as long as he could tolerate the pain. My father took cortisone shots to relieve the pain. The initial shots were effective for about six months. As his knee got worse the shot intervals got shorter to the point that they provided relief for only a few weeks. He then obviously had the surgery. If I remember correctly the shots themselves are very painful and allowed him to postpone surgery for several years (five maybe?).

DfCas
12-21-2008, 08:09 AM
I've had 6 in a shoulder over the last 3 years. I would say that each injection had less effect than the previous. The first injection was magical, but alas, the pain returned.

One thing to note is that if you are diabetic, the injection blocks up the insulin receptors and will cause your blood glucose to elevate. I had to increase my basal insulin by 25% for a few days.

sc53
12-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Elbow tendonitis--shot hurt like hell but relief immediate. Had to get another one a month later. Symptoms gradually went away. Neuromas in both feet--shots each week for 3 weeks, which didn't hurt at all, neuroma symptoms went completely away. Psoas strain/tear--cortisone shots in the hip twice with little relief. Finally had to stop running and injury seems to have healed.

goblue
12-21-2008, 10:55 AM
immediate rellief...which lasted about 6 months.

Lifelover
12-21-2008, 11:43 AM
This thread has me excited! I have not been able to do any exercise since the first week of October and being on my feet 3 times a week for my Basketball coaching gig has been killing me.

If the shot can hook me up, I hope to have a great new year and truly set and reach some new resolutions for my fitness and health. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

bigbill
12-21-2008, 12:32 PM
I got one in my right hip in 1995. The pain of the shot was incredible but it brought relief for months. I had gotten to the point that I couldn't ride or sit without pain. I layed off any hard effort for the remainder of the year and came back strong and pain free the next. Haven't had one since. I had my positioning checked and adjusted. Cleat placement fixed my hip problem.

Seramount
12-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Elbow tendonitis--shot hurt like hell but relief immediate. Had to get another one a month later. Symptoms gradually went away.

Did you try any other therapies prior to the cort shot?

I have this in both elbows and it's really painful. I've tried the cuffs you wear, massage, NSAIDs...not much help.

If I have to go to the injections, so be it...but I'd rather avoid them if possible.

tuscanyswe
12-21-2008, 12:56 PM
I got a shot when i broke a bone in my hand last februari when i was hit by a car on my bike. They called it an adrenaline shot but i guess thats the same more or less.

Tremendous pain going in, looked like some1 managed to squeeze a small golfball under the skin on my hand, then they massaged it down, not a pleasent experience. An hour later i was painfree, felt like a miracle.

Ken Robb
12-21-2008, 03:02 PM
I had very bad plantar fasciitis and ice/rest, Naprosin, etc. didn't work so my choices were shots or surgery. The docs (two of my tennis pals-both orthopods) told me that the cortisone does often weaken the tissue so it might rupture. One said "so what--that's what we sever in surgery anyway". The other said he did a lot of surgeries to finish/clean up partial tears. Bottom line: I had nothing to lose because the shots often work; if I ruptured the tendon it might rupture completely and it would in effect be a free surgery; if I was unlucky I would still need surgery in the end anyway.
Even with some local anesthesia: freeze spray followed by shots the actual cortisone shots were darn painful and the area was sore for several days but the plantar fasciitis went away and hasn't returned after 15 years.

A couple of years ago I developed "Scotsman's Disease": shoulder impingement so bad that I couldn't get my wallet out of my pocket :) or do much else either.

The plan was to do PT first, cortisone if PT failed, and surgery if required.

The PT was so totally ineffective my doc decided we should skip the shots and do the operation. He disconnected my deltoid so he could get in the joints with his power saw and grinder. After lots of PT I am almost as good as new. I hope Sadie Kate can get better without the surgery but it was a good solution for me.

sc53
12-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Seramount: in answer to your question re. elbow tendonitis, yes I did try other modalities before the shot. I had had my tendonitis for going on a year when I got the cortisone. So I thought it was worth the risk of having an injection. But that shot REALLY hurt, he rammed it straight into the painful part of my elbow!!!

deechee
12-22-2008, 10:25 AM
My cat caught a really nasty virus which caused ulcers all over his soft palette and larynx. It was so much that he could not eat, was building up gas, and had breathing problems. After 3 days of futile IV treatment, he was given cortisone in an oxygen box/chamber on/off for two days which reduced the swelling enough for him to start eating on his own again. He's still taking some, but in pill form. It definitely works.

Funny enough, this morning he sneaked one of his last pills somewhere in his mouth (thought he swallowed) and spit it out. Cortisone is my friend now. :)

MassBiker
12-22-2008, 07:12 PM
I had a cortisone injection early last week, it didn't do a thing. Ultimately, I think it was an attempt at avoiding surgery that failed.

chris175
12-23-2008, 10:11 AM
i kid you not. when i used to get a bad case of poison ivy while working for a tree company on martha's vineyard, i used to get cortisone injections. the dr. was an older guy, known for being pretty loose w/the scrips, and right be fore he'd shoot my arm, he'd say "you know, we can put a man on the moon, but we can't do a f*&^ing thing about poison ivy" i swear, you could feel the itch and discomfort pull away in about 10 mins.

bob the nailer
12-24-2008, 08:01 PM
I had impingement syndrome in my R shoulder, had it injected, hurt like heck for 24 h then better, and interestingly it has not come back. My ortho doc told me to quit doing weights that involved the shoulder joint such as military and bench press- what do i need all that extra muscle mass(aka weight) in the upper body for anyway? Unfortunately when I had my bike crash and hurt my L shoulder, only surgery would work. Those of you who have had shoulder surgery(and mine was just a scope) know it is a beeyatch afterwards. Thankfully however today I am pain free in both shoulders.

Ken Robb
12-25-2008, 12:40 AM
I had impingement syndrome in my R shoulder, had it injected, hurt like heck for 24 h then better, and interestingly it has not come back. My ortho doc told me to quit doing weights that involved the shoulder joint such as military and bench press- what do i need all that extra muscle mass(aka weight) in the upper body for anyway? Unfortunately when I had my bike crash and hurt my L shoulder, only surgery would work. Those of you who have had shoulder surgery(and mine was just a scope) know it is a beeyatch afterwards. Thankfully however today I am pain free in both shoulders.
Yep, shoulder surgery made my two knee jobs seem like a day at the beach.

Plum Hill
12-25-2008, 09:57 AM
I had Cortisone injections to help with a broken toe/displaced cartilage issue. Helped immensely the first time, not so much the second time, so I had surgery.

Cortisone injections are a stop gap measure. They are intended to reduce inflamation so healing can begin. Three injections in one year are all that are allowed. Corisone (or any steroid) will mess up blood sugar, so don't have an H1c test done for some months after the last injection. There have been some cases where the recipient ended up with full-blown diabetes after extended steroid use.

For Lifelover, it sounds like your doctor will be considering an epidural. I had three for bulging discs in a six week span. The drug was Depo Medrol (a "cousin" of Cortisone) w/1% Lidocaine. The injections have helped immensely, however, they came with some discomfort. The epidurals can be very painful, my back was sore for a week each time, and I experienced unbelievable pain a week after the first two injections.

My Pain Management doctor gives a series of three injections every six months if needed. My personal feeling is that these are also a stop-gap measure to alleviate pain. I believe more consideration should be given to the underlying issue that causes the pain.

Too bad these middle age issues can't be remedied with a Corvette...or a Meivici.

scottsmith12
12-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Had one for an impinged shoulder about 3 years ago. The shot bruised my shoulder and caused soreness for about 2 days. Then I had relief for about 2 days. PT eventually corrected the problem in about 6 weeks.

All-in-all I would need some serious convincing to go the cortisone route again. For me 2 days of increased pain did not equal 2 days of moderate relief.

Everyone reacts differently I guess.

Lifelover
12-25-2008, 11:06 PM
"....
For Lifelover, it sounds like your doctor will be considering an epidural. I had three for bulging discs in a six week span. The drug was Depo Medrol (a "cousin" of Cortisone) w/1% Lidocaine. The injections have helped immensely, however, they came with some discomfort. The epidurals can be very painful, my back was sore for a week each time, and I experienced unbelievable pain a week after the first two injections.

Still Don't know the details of what they plan to do, but my MRI showed a slightly protruding L5/L4.

My new PT is/was hopeful we could push it back in via "Mckinsey" physical therapy. Basically doing 10-15 pushup (while keeping your hips on the ground) every hour.

He had not seen the MRI and said that if it was protruding it might require the shot.

I will need to continue with the Mckinseys to prevent a reoccurrence.

Unfortunately, cycling can aggravate the condition.

Lifelover
12-31-2008, 03:16 PM
Had a injection this morning.

Somehow after reading this thread the first time, I came away thinking that the injection would be mad a$$ painful but the problematic pain would disappear in the matter of a few hours. After rereading, I'm not sure why I thought that. Blind optimism I guess.

The injection was giving as an out patient procedure utilizing active Xray so he could see what he was doing. As he injected the area, the local pressure was increased so there was an increase in pain. In my case the pain is through my hamstring and calf and feels like severe cramping.

8 hours later, I'm nowhere near pain free but there is a noticeable reduction. It may even be enough to allow me to attend and enjoy the New Years Eve party we are planning to attend. Last weekend we visited some friends and I could not manage to stay there more than an hour or 2.

I'm still very hopeful that the pain will continue to decrease to the point that I can get on a serious "core" exercise program in the next few weeks.

Ken Robb
12-31-2008, 03:38 PM
my doc said it would take a few days to feel better after my shots and he was correct. If you already feel an improvement I think you're ahead of the curve. :beer:

R2D2
12-31-2008, 03:40 PM
Had a injection this morning.

Somehow after reading this thread the first time, I came away thinking that the injection would be mad a$$ painful but the problematic pain would disappear in the matter of a few hours. After rereading, I'm not sure why I thought that. Blind optimism I guess.

The injection was giving as an out patient procedure utilizing active Xray so he could see what he was doing. As he injected the area, the local pressure was increased so there was an increase in pain. In my case the pain is through my hamstring and calf and feels like severe cramping.

8 hours later, I'm nowhere near pain free but there is a noticeable reduction. It may even be enough to allow me to attend and enjoy the New Years Eve party we are planning to attend. Last weekend we visited some friends and I could not manage to stay there more than an hour or 2.

I'm still very hopeful that the pain will continue to decrease to the point that I can get on a serious "core" exercise program in the next few weeks.

It will be sore tomorrow as I believe it crystalizes where it was injected.
Like a deep bruise.