PDA

View Full Version : The Best Hitch Mount Bike Rack?

rockdude
12-20-2008, 09:11 AM
I got a chance to buy a used THULE 954 Ridgeline. Should I get it or is their a better one I should look for?

clweed
12-20-2008, 10:41 AM
You can't beat the Thule T2 (http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=916)

rockdude
12-20-2008, 11:26 AM
You can't beat the Thule T2 (http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=916)

Thanks clweed, I could get away with a 2 bike carrier but I would like a 4 bike carrier. You know, for that just in case moment when you need one.

cleavel
12-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Hi rockdude,

If you have a 2" receiver hitch you can get a 2-bike add-on for the Thule T2. It is a bit expensive though.

Personally, I never buy racks that carry a bike by the frame. I have seen too much frame damage (mostly cosmetic, granted) from racks that grab a frame tube. Of course YMMV.

dnades
12-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Rockdude,

I've got this rack. It works pretty well. If you have a 2" receiver then I would go for a rack that swings out of the way sideways. I only had a 1 1/4 receiver so this works pretty well. In a pinch you can swing the rack with bikes attached down enough to get the back of your car open partway(saab wagon) but it gets really heavy and is a total PIA. The lock works for the frames but you will need something for your wheels. And you can probably cut the thule lock cable fairly easily if you really wanted to. The only thing I don't like about it is that due to the leverage of the arms your bikes kind of bob around while driving. I don't know if this is happens on all racks of this type or just the one I have. It bolts on really solid and it holds the bikes really well so it may just be part of the deal with having a long beam attached to your car. We carry three bikes on it for a total weight of about 60-70lbs. We have the older pin type model which works fine.

Don49
12-20-2008, 06:21 PM
I did some looking for hitch racks awhile back and ended up with this one.
http://www.softride.com/rack-products/specifications/versa_rack

I like it a lot. It's designed for a 2" receiver without an adapter. Only contact with the bikes is the wheels, no frame contact. I've had everything on it from touring bikes with pannier racks, 29" mtb, road bikes, everything has fit. It folds up out of the way when not in use, and folds down to allow the liftgate to open. I found it on both Amazon and eBay. Also very lightweight, about 30lbs as I recall.

My second choice was the Thule 990 Doubletrack.

mgm777
12-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Rockdude,

How are you?

Get the T2 + 2 bike add-on. You won't regret it. Takes about 5 sec to secure a bike. Super easy. Bikes won't be banging around, etc. You can get them at Rocky Mounts in Boulder. Make sure you get the 2 in hitch version.

MGM

KeithS
12-20-2008, 07:36 PM
I don't like hauling my bike by the paint either. I have a Yakima that is of the same principle as the T2, just not as good. No real problems just not the quality of the Thule. On a 2" reciever it is very solid.

pdmtong
12-20-2008, 10:55 PM
this has been discussed before. The T2 is without peer. do a search

CaliFly
12-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Two of my friends have the T2. It is, as they say, the bomb. :beer:

rockdude
12-21-2008, 05:59 AM
I will skip on the THULE 954 and go check out the T2, it seems to be everyones fav.

Thanks for the help.....

John

alancw3
12-21-2008, 06:54 AM
this has been discussed before. The T2 is without peer. do a search

+1. i went thru this exercise about a year ago. check out my thread. the T2 is absolutely the best hitch mounted rack. rock solid and no frame contact. expensive but well worth it. 2 bike add on available.

clweed
12-21-2008, 07:16 AM
John,

Backcountry has them for $341.00 You won't be sorry if you buy this rack.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/THU0128/Thule-Transport-T2.html

Lee

I will skip on the THULE 954 and go check out the T2, it seems to be everyones fav.

Thanks for the help.....

John

Mikej
12-21-2008, 09:33 AM
I have a T2 W/ the add on. They were downloading them at my LBS (which I barely buy from these days - sorry 7$ kenda tubes?, replaced my keo axles, but used my old ones to do it? etc.)-it was like 575 for the whole thing. You may have some leverage at the lbs, check it out. I still have not used the xtra 2, but it kicks down so I can lift my tail gate. I had all types of racks, the swing out did not do it, I couldnt fit 2 bikes on a four bike, an it bounced aaround plus it touche my frame- Get the lock cores to keep the front tire latch from popping up a notch. I would prefer the roof rack, but my HONDA PILOT (BEST VEHICLE EVER - 2 ME) IS TOO tall. The only thing is you have to put somewhere when you are not using it.