PDA

View Full Version : Rx cycling glasses

kgreene10
12-19-2008, 11:49 PM
I know there have been a few threads on this over time, but my question is about what lens to get. Rx lenses are incredibly expensive, so I can get only one. I live in Austin where it's bright and sunny most of the year. I only ride on the road and only during the day. Oakleys fit my face the best, and the available lens tints (with light transmission noted as VLT) are below. Any advice?

VR28 VLT 28%
Grey VLT 18%
Bronze VLT 22%
G30 Iridium VLT 30%
VR28 Blck Iridium VLT 10%
Black Iridium VLT 9%
Gold Iridium VLT 9%
Fire Iridium VLT 10%
Brown Transitions® VLT 18-98%
Grey Transitions® VLT 15-98%
Black Iridium Transitions® VLT 9-98%
Emerald Iridium Transitions® VLT 13-98%
Gold Iridium Transitions® VLT 9-98%

Bruce K
12-20-2008, 05:09 AM
I would go with whichever color transition lense you like the look of.

Personally, I switched to transitions at the beginning of the 2008 season when my Rx changed for the same reason - 1 lense fit the budget.

They work great and cover a wide range of light conditions.

Mine have a mirrored coating so at dusk or if I am on a ride that spans more than 1 day, it looks like I'm wearing sunglasses at night, even when I can see just fine.

BK

Bill Bove
12-20-2008, 05:25 AM
Bruce K, changing his e-name to Officer Otey :)

Joellogicman
12-20-2008, 06:27 AM
I know there have been a few threads on this over time, but my question is about what lens to get. Rx lenses are incredibly expensive, so I can get only one. I live in Austin where it's bright and sunny most of the year. I only ride on the road and only during the day. Oakleys fit my face the best, and the available lens tints (with light transmission noted as VLT) are below. Any advice?

VR28 VLT 28%
Grey VLT 18%
Bronze VLT 22%
G30 Iridium VLT 30%
VR28 Blck Iridium VLT 10%
Black Iridium VLT 9%
Gold Iridium VLT 9%
Fire Iridium VLT 10%
Brown Transitions® VLT 18-98%
Grey Transitions® VLT 15-98%
Black Iridium Transitions® VLT 9-98%
Emerald Iridium Transitions® VLT 13-98%
Gold Iridium Transitions® VLT 9-98%

I had gold iridium and could barely tolerate them. I now have the grey iridium and like it much better. Plenty of protection at times of bright sunlight, but still work fine in twilight.

This seems to vary from person to person, but I could never get used to polarized lenses.

TomP
12-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Hi,

I'm an optometrist. Sorry, I don't carry Oakley. I really like Rudy Project. Many of the company reps will give me whatever I want for free to try. Rudy is my favorite. They came out this year with a new Transition lens. The exact name of it is at my office. It is also my favorite. Their warranty is also fantastic.

Bruce K
12-20-2008, 08:18 AM
I forgot to mention that my transitions are Rudy Project Rydons from Sports Optical in Denver, CO.

Nice people, good service.

BK

BumbleBeeDave
12-20-2008, 08:34 AM
. . . that there are some restrictive limits with Oakley on how strong the Rx can be. I investigated Oakleys and found that my Rx was way over the limit. After looking at photos of the Oakleys and seeing that the prescription piece seems to be made separately, then inserted in the middle of a normal lens with a cutout, I'm assuming the higher Rx would make the inserts too thick.

I have some Bolle Paroles that work very well for my purposes. The insert snaps in and out of the frames, so you can buy one insert with Rx and use it on many different frames. The insert will also hold the fairly thick lenses for my Rx and the insert and frames are relatively inexpensive, though they are a mid 90's design and maybe not the most fashionable. But they work great. I've also had some problems with fogging between the two lenses.

I also have several pair of Rudy's--again, an older design--the Skeey. While my thick Rx lenses will fit in the insert, the insert screws in and replaces the stock nose pads and so it's very inconvenient to change from one frame to another. But you can still change color lenses without removing the insert. I think most of the Rudys use that same system, even the newer ones. but there are also diopter limits on the Rudy's and my Rx lenses rub on the colored lenses at the corners and have scratched them.

The Oakleys DO look cool--if you've got the scratch to afford several pairs with inserts for different conditions and you're within the diopter limits.

BBD

joelh
12-20-2008, 03:00 PM
do you have any problem looking over the bolles with the insert? I see over the top of my reg glasses when riding and it drives me nuts

Elefantino
12-20-2008, 03:47 PM
do you have any problem looking over the bolles with the insert? I see over the top of my reg glasses when riding and it drives me nuts
Drove me nuts with the Bolle Vigilantes. After a while I got tired of it and went with prescription sunglasses and problem solved.

Anyone want some used Bolles?

BumbleBeeDave
12-20-2008, 04:16 PM

If you mean do they slip down my nose then the answer is no. The insert lenses give great coverage. I do sometimes slip them down my nose when they fog up. This opens up the top to let some breeze in to unfog them.

BBD

Charles M
12-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Not completely OT, but I wouldn;t have anything but Sports Optical glasses,,,

And if you call Bret and ask him, he can walk you through tint, coating and shade...

SPORT OPTICAL SITE (http://www.sportsoptical.com/)

They just did a custom set of Transition lenses that might be just about perfect for someone in your position of only having one set... And no inserts or cut lines... They machine whole lenses.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/xmas08/hol08so.jpg

And they'll work with several brands...

Ken Robb
12-21-2008, 05:49 PM
I saw some nice-looking sunglasses at my optician's that are worn over prescription glasses. These were way cooler than the older models popular with the 80 plus population. They fit me well and would have been good wind-blockers too. On a really hot day that might be a drawback.

Of course I saw them as I was picking up the frames I had just had new polarized grey precription lenses in for $165. :rolleyes:

dekindy
12-21-2008, 07:34 PM
http://www.sportsoptical.com/store/look_out.html

Has anyone tried these at $129?

kgreene10
12-21-2008, 09:18 PM
I was picking up the frames I had just had new polarized grey precription lenses in for $165.

That sounds inexpensive. I'm astounded at the price for Rx lenses -- Sports Optical is $299 for Rudy Project lenses only and Sports Vision is $237 for Oakley lenses only. Add another $150-$170 for the frames. I have been resisting, but my stylish rectangular everyday glasses with thin clip-on are grinding into my nose on long rides due to the weight.

Ken Robb
12-21-2008, 11:52 PM
see if you can get info from Sunglass Warehouse in San Diego which is where I saw them. Had I sen them first I don't think I would have popped for RX lenses in my shades.

dawgie
12-22-2008, 08:43 AM
I got some prescription sunglasses specifically for cycling last spring and ended up getting Transition lenses. They are fantastic. Although they don't get as dark in very bright light as many lenses, they adapt great to changing light conditions. I never have to worry about swapping lenses, which is a big deal if you have to wear prescription glasses.

In my case, I have to ride in the dark and low-light conditions a lot because I bike commute. So you may have no need for less-tinted lenses if you only ride in the bright sunlight. But if you ride in varying light conditions, the Transitions really do the trick, and you don't have to worry about swapping lenses or having two sets of sunglasses.

nm87710
12-22-2008, 09:58 AM
I've used these guys at http://www.bicyclerx.com/index.php to make 4 pairs over 10-12 years. Fast, accurate, inexpensive and nice selection. I just get a basic pair with brown2 tint(best in all light conditions) for ~$150 and don't worry about scratching, breaking or loosing them.

Alan
12-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Try Sport RX as below:

http://www.sportrx.com/search_results.asp?type=brand&brand=rudy%20project

I worked with Rob on a pair of Rudys w progressive bifocals. They work great and Rob is very knowledgeable. I have ridden with him a few times when he is in LA and he is a very good optician. I have the Horus which Rob says is his preferred frame.

Alan

cogswell23
12-22-2008, 06:42 PM
You don't like, or cannot wear contacts? Off the bike, I wear glasses pretty much full time, but for riding, it's contacts all the way.

I take sunglasses on and off throughout a ride depending on light conditions, or sometimes I'm just sensitive to their presence on my face during a climb. I also can wear whatever sunglasses I want, and don't have to pay for expensive prescription sunglasses.

kgreene10
12-22-2008, 08:44 PM
You don't like, or cannot wear contacts? Off the bike, I wear glasses pretty much full time, but for riding, it's contacts all the way.
Yeah, contacts would give extra flexibility and I would even be willing to learn to stick my finger in my eye, but my optometrist says they won't work very well with my degree of warp-eye (AKA astigmatism).

dekindy
12-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Yeah, contacts would give extra flexibility and I would even be willing to learn to stick my finger in my eye, but my optometrist says they won't work very well with my degree of warp-eye (AKA astigmatism).

My problem also. When was the last time that you discussed Lasik with a professional? I don't know how accurate this information is but I talked to a guy recently that said Lasik can now treat astigmatism for distance vision but not for reading. I am considering looking into this because it would be nice not to have to wear glasses for driving, cycling, etc.

kgreene10
12-22-2008, 11:35 PM
My problem also. When was the last time that you discussed Lasik with a professional? I don't know how accurate this information is but I talked to a guy recently that said Lasik can now treat astigmatism for distance vision but not for reading. I am considering looking into this because it would be nice not to have to wear glasses for driving, cycling, etc.
I have also heard that Lasik can work for astigmatism now. I'm sure the rate of blindness and messed up vision is quite low, but how much would it suck to be that 1 in however-many-people who essentially lost their eyesight in a vanity/convenience move? I'm too much of a wuss to take the chance.

dekindy
12-23-2008, 07:50 AM
I have also heard that Lasik can work for astigmatism now. I'm sure the rate of blindness and messed up vision is quite low, but how much would it suck to be that 1 in however-many-people who essentially lost their eyesight in a vanity/convenience move? I'm too much of a wuss to take the chance.

Me, too.