PDA

View Full Version : light wheels for heavy dudes

stackie
12-19-2008, 11:42 PM
So, I'm 6'4". 190-200 pounds. With the Reynolds KOM wheels popping up on Chainlove so often, is there any way I could ride these? I was in Nytro a few months ago and the guy was telling my I could ride Zipp 202's. They state a weight limit of 180 for the Zipps. I don't think Reynolds has a weight limit for theirs.

How low could a 200 pound guy go for rim weight?

Thanks,

Jon

rphetteplace
12-20-2008, 12:15 AM
The new generation 3 lightweights are rated to 264lbs!

Steve in SLO
12-20-2008, 12:23 AM
John,
I'm 185# give or take.
I've used Neuvation R28 SL3s for several seasons. 1520g/set. No problems.
Their R28 Aeros are 1580g and are near-bulletproof.
Good sale on the website, too...look under "Old model wheels". I just picked up 2 sets of R28SL3s for $179 per set.
Oh yes, I am not associated, etc.

stackie
12-20-2008, 01:29 AM
Lightweight brand wheels are way too much coin. Unless I can convert my medical corporation to a bank holding company to cash in on the big bailout of the US banking sector.

Jon'

Bruce K
12-20-2008, 05:20 AM
Now that this is merged into one thread, here's my 2 cents.

You can see by my signature that I am a BIG fan of HED wheels.

I am 5'-8" and currently about 202#. I have been as high as 227#.

ANY of HED's offerings in what they call a "Stallion Build" will work. This version has a larger front hub and higher spoke counts for both wheels.

The 2009 version of the Bastogne has a slightly heavier alloy version of the Ardennes rim so should be excellent for heavier riders. I don't know for sure, but based on info that I have gotten recently from HED, a set of these in Stallion Build wil come in around 1500g, give or take a few.

BK

paczki
12-20-2008, 06:27 AM
I weight what you do. I have Easton EC90s and I love them. No weight limit, and they come up on Chainlove for cheap.

Climb01742
12-20-2008, 08:37 AM
contact jeremy @ alchemy. he knows all about wheels.

http://www.alchemybicycleworks.com/

rphetteplace
12-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Lightweight brand wheels are way too much coin. Unless I can convert my medical corporation to a bank holding company to cash in on the big bailout of the US banking sector.

Jon'

I was just pulling your chain on the lightweights as they are way too gucci for most mere mortals.

Edge composites rims make a 28 hole rim and none of their rims have weight limits. Laced to a good hub your in about 1350gms.

Benscycle in Milwaukee just bought out a TON of last years model ZIPP wheels and you could pick up a set pretty cheap from them.

Personally I prefer durable to light, but if I was a little guy like you (I'm 6'6" 300 lbs :) ) I'd personally buy a set of Mavic Carbone SSC wheels.

oldguy00
12-20-2008, 09:57 AM
I weight what you do. I have Easton EC90s and I love them. No weight limit, and they come up on Chainlove for cheap.

To the OP - you might also want to check out the EC90 SLX's. No weight limit either according to Easton, about 150 grams lighter than the deeper EC90 aero. Depends if you want a shallow rim or deep rim. The Aero is about 1350 grams, the SLX is 1175.

To be perfectly honest...at your weight, I would personally stay away from anything under 1300 - 1400 grams. Weight is weight, the rotational weight only matters during an acceleration. None of the wheels will turn any of us into climbers.
If you want aero, Mavic Cosmic Carbones would be perfect for you, and fast. I just got a new pair of Carbone tubulars off the 'bay for $700...

Ti Designs
12-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Do people really mistake the posted weight limit for some sort of indication of strength??? Face it, how you ride and where you ride are bigger factors than what the scale is telling you. I've known 200 pounders to ride softly and 150 pounders who can wreck a wheel in one ride. And how is it that nobody has said anything about tire width yet?

paczki
12-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Do people really mistake the posted weight limit for some sort of indication of strength??? Face it, how you ride and where you ride are bigger factors than what the scale is telling you. I've known 200 pounders to ride softly and 150 pounders who can wreck a wheel in one ride. And how is it that nobody has said anything about tire width yet?

That's a good point. I hardly ever have wheels go out of true which leads me to believe I ride like a wee little elf.
I have the EC90SLXs BTW.

SoCalSteve
12-20-2008, 02:36 PM
6' 5" and weigh 240 (ish)....

Mavic Cosmic Carbones work just fine for me and am thinking about getting a set of Edge 68 clinchers in 28 spoke built to DT SWiss 240's...I was told that my weight would not be an issue with this wheelset...

Elefantino
12-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Not that I count grams, but I have a set of 32-spoke DT 240 hubs laced to Niobium 19 rims that tip my scale at 1463 grams, minus skewers. I've not ridden a better set of wheels. And I'm 6-5, 190ish.

I also have such an incredible, powerful first pedal stroke that it's a wonder they haven't self-tacoed by now.

Ahem.

GBD
12-20-2008, 04:40 PM
at 6'2 and 200 lb, have been riding Campi Hyperons for the past 3 years as my every day wheel.

Just sent the rear to be re-laced by Campi as 2 spokes broke in so many months.

$210 including part, labor, shipping.
Not too bad for 3 years worth of miles.

SoCalSteve
12-20-2008, 05:22 PM
at 6'2 and 200 lb, have been riding Campi Hyperons for the past 3 years as my every day wheel.

Just sent the rear to be re-laced by Campi as 2 spokes broke in so many months.

$210 including part, labor, shipping.
Not too bad for 3 years worth of miles.

Isnt that about a $100.00 job in most bike stores? I had a LBS re-lace a set of Kysrium SL's and they charged me $100.00...I mean, they arent Campi, mind you...

Just sayin'

Steve

stackie
12-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks for merging the double post. I got up and walked away, then came back and thought I hadn't hit submit.

I'm not too much of a weight weenie, it just seems like the prices are coming down on these wheels, I might give a set a try. I think I'm pretty easy on wheels, have not ever really had problems with standard open pro/reflex 32 hole.

I had thought very strongly of the Edge 1.38 laced to DA with 28 front and rear. But, the call of Chainlove beckoned with the Reynolds.

Thanks for all of the input.

Jon

Mikej
12-21-2008, 09:43 AM

200 lb mass traveling at 20 mph vs. 155 lb mass @ 20 mph vs same pothole is more the baseline than riding style. Also, the everyday added mass is going to cause break down much sooner. Alot of guys think there is a 10% rule or that the listed weight is lower than what it can take. I work R&D, we strive to make the lowest cost, best warranty efficient product. We take it down pretty close, and mean it, hence the stated time/weight/accuracy warranty. I'm 155 72" and dont like the lat flex of hi profile lo-spoke wheels. I like K's.

Ti Designs
12-21-2008, 10:07 AM
200 lb mass traveling at 20 mph vs. 155 lb mass @ 20 mph vs same pothole is more the baseline than riding style. Also, the everyday added mass is going to cause break down much sooner. Alot of guys think there is a 10% rule or that the listed weight is lower than what it can take. I work R&D, we strive to make the lowest cost, best warranty efficient product. We take it down pretty close, and mean it, hence the stated time/weight/accuracy warranty.

Now I have to ask, what is it that you make/research/design/warranty? Pinpointing real numbers in warranty means knowing all of the factors. Problem - bikes introduce human factors. Think of it as sprung vs. unsprung weight, a 200 pound rider hits a pothole at 20 MPH but much of the impact is absorbed in the flex of his knees and elbows. Meanwhile, a 150 pound rider, also traveling at 20 MPH hits another pothole (I know what you're thinking - a state with more than one pothole???) and sits rock solid on the saddle. Then there's another human factor known as stupid. Some people insist on riding carbon race wheels in training in the western suburbs of Boston - stupid. The roads are curb to curb potholes and the snow plows are out there creating more right now. When I sell a carbon wheel I have a good answer about the "what's the warranty" question. First I ask them if they're going to ride them from the shop. If they say "yes" the warranty is 30 feet or 30 seconds, whichever comes first.

Bottom line is that light wheels at some point need to be looked at as race equipment. Race equipment and warranties don't mix. If ever you need a good chuckle, look up the Hoosier warranty on their race tires.

Dave
12-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Isnt that about a $100.00 job in most bike stores? I had a LBS re-lace a set of Kysrium SL's and they charged me $100.00...I mean, they arent Campi, mind you...

Just sayin'

Steve

When you're dealing with boutique wheels with special spokes, the spokes can cost a lot, then there's the labor and two-way shipping. Campy spokes are not cheap.

A conventional wheel, like my PowerTap wheelset with DT 28H rims can be rebuilt for $70 per rim, about $1.20 per spoke and $40 per wheel for rebuild labor. Rebuilding my two crash damaged wheels is $290, plus tax and shipping ($17). That's from Excel Sports, Boulder.

tmanley
12-21-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm 200 pounds and 6'9" and haven't had any problems with my Edge 68 clinchers. I've got them built around a 20-hole White Industries front hub and a 24-hold PT Pro in the rear; Sapim CX-Ray spokes all around. These have been rock solid.