PDA

View Full Version : Gore Ride On's

Birch
12-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Any one use the Gore Ride On cables?

Can you use these with Nokons or Alligator iLinks?

Whats your experience been?

Thanks!

BdaGhisallo
12-19-2008, 05:04 PM
I tried them very recently and wasn't that impressed. I mounted some of the gear cables on a Dura Ace 7900 setup, and the shifting felt quite mushy with them. I was surprised because the inner cable felt very smooth and slick between the tips of my fingers. I have a feeling that it was the housing that let the package down. I was using the low friction derr cables, not the fully sealed version.

I am now about to give some Yokozuna cables a try. They are reputed to be the ultimate. I have also had good luck using Jagwire teflon coated derr cables with Shimano SIS-SP41 housing. For me that is the baseline in good derr cable performance.

I never worry too much about brake performance since the terrain here in Bermuda doesn't call for too much use of them.

vqdriver
12-19-2008, 07:46 PM
i used the sealed version on my old mountain bike. best part of their whole system is the continuous sleeve that goes from lever to device, completely enclosed. i'm wondering if that's the way nokons are.....

thinpin
12-20-2008, 04:56 AM
Been using them with Record. For me I don't expect better shifting but longer life. I changed my campag cables every year so I'll see in 6 months if its been worth using the Gore. if I need to change them then its back to generic campag cables.

Bruce K
12-20-2008, 05:12 AM
Using them with SRAM Red or Force on 4 different bikes, both road and cross, and they work great.

BDA - On one bike I had the same "mushy" feeling. It turns out the wrench who installed them didn't follow the instructions correctly and left the inner housing in the clamp so the cable slipped.

BK

BdaGhisallo
12-20-2008, 09:01 AM
BruceK,

Are you referring to the inner liner that runs the length of the derr cable, and not just in the housing? The LF version doesn't come with that like the sealed version does. The LF type is basically regular style cable and housing, made by Gore with their coating on the cable.

I have just installed some Yokozuna derr cables and housing. They are nice! The stainless steel inner wire simply gleams in the light. It sparkles. And they feel nice too. Nice and smooth, yet crisp shifts with my DA 7900.

Geoff

Bruce K
12-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Yup, that would be them.

I picked up several sets from last years cyclocrossworld.com sell-off and they have worked great.

I'm hoping to get some more this winter. :D

BK

Charles M
12-21-2008, 03:41 PM
And...

They are useable with Nokon housings. And frikin buttery smooth when you do...

I've been using Jagwire ripcord (teflon) inside most for a while and the Gore are also really nice.

Gore fixed the worst part about the cables too in that they don't frey / deteriorate are the cable ends and gub up your guts... better coating now.

djg21
12-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Any one use the Gore Ride On cables?

Can you use these with Nokons or Alligator iLinks?

Whats your experience been?

Thanks!

I used them years ago. Gore provided some to a team I rode for. They were very nice. Shifting and felt markedly improved due to less friction in the cable. I also used nokons for a time too. They were a pain in the ass, and didn't improve shifting at all.

I have no problem using regular shimano cables now. They work fine!

bnewt07
12-22-2008, 01:50 AM
I use the fully sealed MTB version but not terribly convinced. New cables always feel nice but I wanted them to stay smooth longer in bad weather and I don't think they have done so.