PDA

View Full Version : What's different about these brakes?

athenasoar
12-18-2008, 11:17 PM
I just got a new Look 585. It really rocks. One thing, though. It has a 2009 Centaur brakeset. For some reason, the brake pads on my Kinlin niobium rims make a really loud noise. Don't seem particularly sturdy or reliable...

So, I've used these exact rims with both Paul cantis and Mavic SSC calipers. No noise with these other brakes. Stopping power seems better. So, my question is, what should I do to get rid of the noise with the Centaur brakes? I suppose changing the pads might help. If so, what pads are good?

Thanks for your help!

Steve in SLO
12-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Not to offend, but have you toed-in the pads properly and made sure your through-bolts are short enough to clamp the frame or fork tightly before they run out of thread? Have you recently cleaned the braking surface of your rims? If these items are OK and you can't get rid of the noise, then perhaps try some Kool-stops.
FWIW, I haven't heard of noisy pads on any recent Campy brake if set up properly. The calipers are pretty stiff and the pads generally work quite well.

keevon
12-19-2008, 09:28 AM
With Kool Stop salmon pads and proper toe-in, the squeal will go away. I have Kinlin rims on a bike with 06 Chorus brakes and Kool Stop pads... no issues.

athenasoar
12-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the advice. Will check on these things. I think I might even have some Kool-stops sitting around in my closet somewhere...

vqdriver
12-19-2008, 11:09 AM
i can't tell from your post if the centaur brakes were yours or if it came with the bike. but you might also try inspecting the pads that are on there. maybe a light sanding could remove some glaze.