PDA

View Full Version : Diff b/t Moots SL and non SL

lavi
12-18-2008, 08:54 PM
I know, Moots stopped building with Reynolds SL tubing. I also realize the basic differnence is in the gauge of the tubing.

So what I like to be informed of is, everything being held the same, would you choose an SL model over a regular one, and why. With the smaller gauge SL, are there weight limit issues? I'm 190, all beef. :beer:

Michael Maddox
12-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Ummm...the Compact SL that I have is 6/4 Ti, unlike the standard Vamoots which is 3/2.5 Ti. The difference isn't just the gauge of the Ti, it's really a different alloy. (The numbers relate to the percentage of aluminum and vanadium in the alloy.) 6/4 is stronger, thus the tubing can be thinner. Thus, it's lighter. I don't think there's anything about it that makes it necessarily weaker. In fact, I'd argue it's probably a bit stiffer, if minimally so.

I'm 230 right now, also all beef, and I'm not concerned whatsoever about my weight on the Compact SL. It's a hefty machine that is definitely going to take it.

Anyway, if I had to choose, I'd probably go with 3/2.5 because of price. If prices were within the same range, I'd go with 6/4 simply for the cool factor. From the same company, particularly from Moots, all the frames are going to be quality rides. You won't see the difference, unless you start your day with a gram-scale.

Of course, you could also get a Serotta with multiple thicknesses for that cool factor, too.

happycampyer
12-18-2008, 09:27 PM
I agree with Michael. I can't give you a direct comparison, but I have a Vamoots SL, a Compact SL and a Psychlo-X. Although the Psychlo-X is a very different bike, the ride quality is very similar. I doubt very much that I would be able to tell the difference in ride quality between an SL and a non-SL, and the weight difference isn't something that you're likely to notice (about a 1/3 lb. IIRC, although my Compact is built up to around 15 lbs. with alu clinchers...). The 6/4 was used in the main tubes, and they are butted. The 3/2.5 tubes are straight gauge. My understanding is that the a good bit of the increased cost was due to the fact that 6/4 tubing is much harder to work with.

I got the SL's just because. FWIW, I ride the Vamoots more than any other bike, and it has some pretty jealous company.

lavi
12-19-2008, 01:44 AM
Excellent. Thanks for the explanations/weigh ins. I didn't realize the the numbers related to the alloy makeup. It's a good day when one actually learns something. Now I can go to bed. :beer:

I was trolling an SL on ebay. I also have a friend locally selling his Vamoots complete with new Ultegra for $2,500. I don't think he realizes the deal he's offering, but that frame might be a hair too big. So I'm gonna have to ride...

gearguywb
12-19-2008, 05:59 AM
What size is your friends Vamoots ;)

lavi
12-19-2008, 01:01 PM

SoCalSteve
12-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Ummm...the Compact SL that I have is 6/4 Ti, unlike the standard Vamoots which is 3/2.5 Ti. The difference isn't just the gauge of the Ti, it's really a different alloy. (The numbers relate to the percentage of aluminum and vanadium in the alloy.) 6/4 is stronger, thus the tubing can be thinner. Thus, it's lighter. I don't think there's anything about it that makes it necessarily weaker. In fact, I'd argue it's probably a bit stiffer, if minimally so.
I'm 230 right now, also all beef, and I'm not concerned whatsoever about my weight on the Compact SL. It's a hefty machine that is definitely going to take it.

Anyway, if I had to choose, I'd probably go with 3/2.5 because of price. If prices were within the same range, I'd go with 6/4 simply for the cool factor. From the same company, particularly from Moots, all the frames are going to be quality rides. You won't see the difference, unless you start your day with a gram-scale.

Of course, you could also get a Serotta with multiple thicknesses for that cool factor, too.

I owned a Vamoots and sold it for an Compact -SL...The Compact-SL is a bit stiiffer and the OD gauge of the tubing is less...Beyond that (and a few ounces) and the fact that the SL is no longer being produced, there is no difference, save price.

Hope this helps!

Steve

rnhood
12-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Nice tour (http://www.roadbikeaction.com/fly.aspx?layout=content&taxid=67&cid=939) of the Moots factory.

Satellite
12-20-2008, 08:20 PM
I have both VaMoots and VaMoots SL. The tubes are smaller on the SL but because of the higher percentage of vandium and aluminum the tubes have approx the same stiffness. I personally can't tell a difference in the ride, except in the wheels. My straight gauge VaMoots has stiff/stiff wheels so the bike inherently feels stiffer. I bought two bikes because I bought the SL first and I can't S&S Couple it because the tubes are too thin. So I bought the straight gauge to send off to get it coupled.

If you have the funds go SL. I have heard a couple rumors Moots may have a source for SL tubing again; nothing confirmed yet. I will be keeping my fingers crossed.

Mikej
12-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Not welded sheets, dia is slight smaller. Reynols tubing. would love a 57.5 compact.