PDA

View Full Version : Bike Shipping Cost

keno
12-17-2008, 05:21 AM
I plan to ride in California in 2009. Rather than schlep the bike I would like to ship it via UPS, FEDEX, etc. both to and from the California destination. I live in New Jersey.

I have a Trico case, and it's specs are:

Outer Size - 47" x 30.5" x 10.5"
Weight - 31lbs. (unpacked)

and the bike weighs, roughly, 19 lbs, so I have about 50 lbs. Maybe I'll put some other items in, so assume 60 lbs all told.

Has any of you done this? How much did it cost? Any pitfalls I should be aware of?

I may want to do the same next fall to Italy. I expect that the deal is quite different with international shipping in a variety of ways, but I want to explore. Otherwise, I will rent, which will cost about $300.

keno

Pete Serotta
12-17-2008, 06:49 AM
Keno, sign up for an online Fedex account then you get a discount and you can print off the shipping label and they pick up even. I would say from NJ about $75 depending on amount of insurance and whether it goes to a business or not.

As to shipping to Europe...I do not know how much for I always take my bike BUT I do know it runs in the multiple hundreds....

alancw3
12-17-2008, 06:59 AM
the last time i shipped a bike through ups i got a quote online from their website. you just input deminsions, weight and destination. if i recall it was right on when i took the packaged bike to the ups store.

i agree with serotta pete. any future shipping i will do with fedex through an online account. one of my neighbors has done this for quite awhile now and they do pickup at your door. i think you can also do a drop off at any kinkos store.

one other thing. if you use a case (trico) and ship with ups you might consider putting the case in a cardbroad box. from what i have read in prior forum threads on shipping with ups, if case is in a box and damaged, it is covered by insurance, if not in a case then not covered.

cdimattio
12-17-2008, 07:17 AM
I plan to ride in California in 2009. Rather than schlep the bike I would like to ship it via UPS, FEDEX, etc. both to and from the California destination. I live in New Jersey.

I have shipped the bike in the same Trico case stuffed with some extra gear to California with no issues from Connecticut.

FedEx ground works out the cheapest for me. About $50 last spring.

totally_fixxate
12-17-2008, 08:43 AM
open a Fedex account.

also...

http://www.aircaddy.com/

Climb01742
12-17-2008, 08:51 AM
also...

http://www.aircaddy.com/

have you used an air caddy? how well did it work? was bike well protected?
thanks!

Kirk Pacenti
12-17-2008, 08:56 AM
have you used an air caddy? how well did it work? was bike well protected?
thanks!

I have an air caddy and have transported show bikes via the airlines with it with great success. The cost may be prohibitive though... it seems to be getting more expensive ($125 iirc)

Having said that, for a show bike it was well worth the cost. You only need to remove the front wheel and seat post. The bike is very well protected, can be unboxed and reassembles in a matter of 2-3 minutes.

Because of the triangular shape, you can also gang two air caddys together...

Cheers, KP

Ken Robb
12-17-2008, 09:01 AM
where are you planning to ride?

zmudshark
12-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Be aware that if you don't put your case in a cardboard box, you *may* be hit with 'irregular package' charges.

Keep you package below 130" combined length and girth, and it will go at the 70lb rate, over that measurement, and it will be quite expensive.

I've had to dispute charges with both UPS and Fedex, pictures help a great deal.

PS--Open an on line account, as pointed out above, it's cheaper than taking it in and paying at the counter or Kinkos's/UPS Store.

I have both a Fedex and UPS acct., Fedex is usually a bit cheaper, and shipping to a business is considerably cheaper that to a home.

victoryfactory
12-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Keno:

Your measurements put the box at 130" length plus girth
That is right at the UPS/Fedex Limit for what they call Oversize3
Measure again around the girth, add the length, If it is below 130, you are in luck.

This makes a big difference in cost!

A 129" box that weighs 50 lbs is $36.40 plus 6.50 surcharge for
second longest side over 30" (yep) Published rate

A 131" box goes as an AUTOMATIC 90 lbs PLUS a $45. surcharge
for a total of $96.34 Published rate!

This assumes that whoever you ship with actually knows the rules. As I've
said before, many "shipping stores" will just weigh it and ship for the lower rate.

Note: the rates listed above are for ground NJ to CA about 5 Business days
Insurance is extra, Air is super expensive for a large box like that.
There is current fuel surcharge on ground of 6.75% and 15% on air!
Finally, the rates go up about 6% in January

VF

victoryfactory
12-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Be aware that if you don't put your case in a cardboard box, you *may* be hit with 'irregular package' charges.

Keep you package below 130" combined length and girth, and it will go at the 70lb rate, over that measurement, and it will be quite expensive.
I

UPS and Fedex have done away with the old 70 lb rate for ground shipments which was called
oversize 2 They now rate everything up to 130" with "dimensional" weight
which is:
LxWxH divided by 194
The package goes by actual weight or dimensional weight, whichever is higher.
With a $6.50 surcharge if the second longest side is >30"

And one more thing, If your Trico case bulges in the middle too much, Their
laser reader might say it's bigger than you measured, which is a battle best
fought by a regular customer with an account.

VF

Birch
12-17-2008, 09:42 AM
If you're flying SouthWest, they only charge $50 for a bike box and you might be better off just flying with it.

Keith A
12-17-2008, 11:09 AM
If you're flying SouthWest, they only charge $50 for a bike box and you might be better off just flying with it.I was getting ready to make the same point...but with some reservation. I flew from Orlando to Kentucky this summer and it was cheaper for me to take my bike with me than to ship it. I even compared this to the discounted shipping rates we get for our company.

While the price was good, the handling of my bike was not!!! On the way up there it was fine...but on the way back, they opened the case to inspect it and loosely put it back together. They only connected about half of the straps on the case when they closed it and this left one of the sides partially open :eek: Fortunately there was no damage or missing pieces...but I was po'd when I saw the case at the baggage claim. I opened it right there to make sure everything was okay.

Team Murray
12-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Keno,
If you are coming to SFO, I have a friend, who is a cyclist and runs an airport car service. He has picked up triathletes/cyclists and has the racks on his car to handle bikes, wheels and cases.

Tom

keno
12-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Thanks for all of the good advice.

(Thanks, Tom, but it's So Cal.)

keno