PDA

View Full Version : Remove tension on wheel between rides (trainer)?

Volant
12-15-2008, 10:47 PM
I did a search and didn't find an answer to this question. Do you guys/gals take the tension off the roller between rides on your trainer? Anyone ever encounter problems with keeping the tension on the tire (permanent indentation)?

jbrainin
12-15-2008, 10:55 PM
The trainers I've seen usually have some kind handle for raising and lowering the roller. It's easy enough to lower the roller when one remembers but I've not had any problems when leaving the roller in contact with the tire for as long as a week.

znfdl
12-16-2008, 07:35 AM
I take the tension off of my computrainer after every workout. One of the nice aspects of computrainers, is that it is fairly simple to re-calibrate during sessions, which enables equal resistance across time.

zap
12-16-2008, 08:02 AM
No.

Never had a problem.

Bikejockey42
12-16-2008, 10:30 AM
You only tighten your wheel between 1-5 NM of pressure to have a very tight interface between the roller and the tire, there is no way to leave a permanant indentation on a tire, you would only have a problem if the tire was previously damaged in some way. You can completely safely leave your bike in your trainer indefinitely and not damage any part of your bike.

RPS
12-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Do you guys/gals take the tension off the roller between rides on your trainer?Always........when I remember, which is almost always.

Don't do it for the tire though.

John M
12-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Always........when I remember, which is almost always.

Don't do it for the tire though.

I am curious as to why you do this.

RPS
12-16-2008, 02:05 PM
I am curious as to why you do this.First, I'd ask why not do it? It only takes a few seconds and my trainer’s mechanism is built so that it probably wouldn’t wear out in 50 years of use. And if it did, it would take very little effort to replace the wearable parts.

Mostly I do it to remove all forces from bearings – both trainer and rear wheel. I know it’s probably insignificant compared to what they should be rated at, but why not if it only takes a few seconds? ;)

znfdl
12-16-2008, 02:25 PM
First, I'd ask why not do it? It only takes a few seconds and my trainer’s mechanism is built so that it probably wouldn’t wear out in 50 years of use. And if it did, it would take very little effort to replace the wearable parts.

Mostly I do it to remove all forces from bearings – both trainer and rear wheel. I know it’s probably insignificant compared to what they should be rated at, but why not if it only takes a few seconds? ;)

+1, why keep something under stress when you do not have to.

KJMUNC
12-16-2008, 04:29 PM
I try to remember and usually do loosen it on my Kurt Kinetic. I've always thought it might help relieve the constant strain on the skewer so the add'l 2sec is worth it for me.

Volant
12-16-2008, 07:04 PM
+1, why keep something under stress when you do not have to.

Tell that to my wife!
---
BTW, mine is a Kurt Kinetics too. It doesn't have a lever. Rather, you have to unscrew a knob to relieve the tension.