PDA

View Full Version : lance on twitter too

Climb01742
12-15-2008, 04:17 PM
http://twitter.com/lancearmstrong

i don't get the interest in twitter. when did "what i had for lunch" become fascinating?

michael white
12-15-2008, 04:58 PM
for the young, or for the young at "heart"?

1centaur
12-15-2008, 05:58 PM
i don't get the interest in twitter. when did "what i had for lunch" become fascinating?

Not a big fan of Gray's Anatomy, I take it?

Fleeting feelings are "in."

BumbleBeeDave
12-15-2008, 06:39 PM
. . . that he likes spending time with President Clinton and that he went to his kids Christmas pageant. It's so great that he can find some time out of his busy schedule between tweeting, training, and partying with Bill to spend some time with them.

BBD

csm
12-15-2008, 06:48 PM
what a waste of 2 minutes that was.

BumbleBeeDave
12-15-2008, 06:57 PM
. . . pick, pick, pick, talk a LOT, pick a little more . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbhnRuJBHLs

BBD

William
12-16-2008, 07:16 AM
I found this a bit more entertaining....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-KWIBJbGXg

William

oldguy00
12-16-2008, 07:20 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it. I wouldn't spend every day reading it, but I think it is an interesting glance into what life is like for someone like that.
I think this is the first time I've ever been excited about the Giro!

Ray
12-16-2008, 08:50 AM
http://twitter.com/lancearmstrong

You know, every generation has its "thing" that those who came before don't get. Well, this is where I get off the bus. I don't get this stuff at all. I don't use facebook or myspace or any of those, but I see their value - my kids stay in touch with their friends much more easily than I did at their age (late teens, early 20s - out of high school) by using these sites. I don't "get" them, but I sort of understand and they don't bother me. But this twitter stuff I just flat don't get. I wouldn't want to see that from my wife, my best friend, the President. I DAMN sure don't need to see it from Lance. So I won't look - no problem. But it just seems like a remarkably self-indulgent waste of time to me.

Call me old...

-Ray

BumbleBeeDave
12-16-2008, 09:02 AM
But it just seems like a remarkably self-indulgent waste of time to me.

Call me old...

-Ray

. . . You're just not as indulgent or self-absorbed as many people today seem to be. Why do you think there are so many bad, distracted, cell phone gabbing and texting drivers out there? So many people today think they are the center of the universe and that for some reason others might be interested in where they're driving to or what they had for lunch. I can't for the life of me see why anyone else would care about my daily comings and goings. Don't they have their own to pay attention to?

I'm wondering, though, if Twitter is an attempt by people to replace the personal small talk contact they have lost as our society has gotten more and more impersonal and disconnected because of the Internet and other isolating factors. Twitter seems like the sort of small talk people would normally exchange that may not have a lot of valid content, but it helps people feel as if they belong to a group or a family. It cements relationships. But if they--and their families--are so busy, overbooked, and overwhelmed by the pace of life, then they just don't get to sit next to each other and just talk very often.

Sometimes when my girlfriend and I get together in the evening one of the nicest parts is just sitting down together and telling each other about how our days went. I get the impression there may be lots of busy people who don't get to do that and this helps compensate for that lack. Maybe it's not really such hubris after all.

BBD

Elefantino
12-16-2008, 09:33 AM
I don't get Twittering, or "tweeting" or whatever you call it.

It seems to me this is the most self-absorbed Internet creation ever. For example, do I really care that Lance Armstrong is "watching the Cowboys game"?

We have young people here at work who are constantly tweeting about what they had for lunch or their favorite TV shows.

Have we become such a shallow society that we think people care about hame & swiss or Two And A Half Men's latest plot twist?

I think I have now exceeded my 140 characters.

Signed,
Curmudgeon

Richard
12-16-2008, 09:56 AM
At least it's aptly named -- "twitter" is for "twits"

johnnymossville
12-16-2008, 10:23 AM
Oh come on. Twitter isn't that bad. Here's a Twit I just got.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/xnodesign/liz.jpg

Volant
12-16-2008, 10:24 AM
what a waste of 2 minutes that was.

Thanks for saving me some time. :beer:

jnusbaum
12-16-2008, 10:37 AM
A blog is only updated occasionally and you have to present it in a pretty formal, well thought out manner. This is quite a bit easier and much more personal.

It's all good.

1happygirl
12-17-2008, 01:54 AM
Come on. Everyone needs their 5 seconds/140 characters of fame!!

:D on BBD. Lance flew in for 15 minutes to watch the Christmas play. Wow, I too am impressed.

Ray
12-17-2008, 05:05 AM
A blog is only updated occasionally and you have to present it in a pretty formal, well thought out manner. This is quite a bit easier and much more personal.

It's all good.
Yoiks! I already thought blogs were the headline act at the short attention-span theater! I read 'em a lot and I think they serve a purpose, but what do they do to people's ability/willingness to read a BOOK? I'm an old fuddy-duddy who LIKES books, and I read a lot less of 'em under the influence of the internet than I used to because of a combination of other, more immediate, stuff available and my own attention span devolution. The implications of that frighten me enough and that's from BLOGS! Which are now too formal and well thought out!?!?!?

Complex thinking is good and important and should be encouraged. Its good for the brain and its essential because the world is a complex mofo and its problems aren't given to simple solutions. It's not that simple thinking and complex thinking CAN'T co-exist, but I question how well they tend to in the same brain. There are plenty of recent examples of the limitations of simplistic thinking on the world stage. Maybe world leaders need to get off of Twitter!

-Ray

johnnymossville
12-17-2008, 07:35 AM
...Maybe world leaders need to get off of Twitter!

-Ray

I think you thought way too much about twitter to write that. Last I heard, Book Sales are up in the USA over the last 10 years.

fiamme red
03-25-2009, 01:48 PM
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?Twitter_and_blogs_to_be_taught_in_pri mary_schools&in_article_id=596127&in_page_id=34&in_a_source

Primary school pupils could be taught to master Twitter and Wikipedia instead of learning about history, it has been reported.

Former Ofsted chief Sir Jim Rose will present recommendations for revamping the primary curriculum to ministers next month.

His interim report in December said primary age children need a greater understanding of information technology and Sir Jim's proposals may say children should be familiar with blogging, podcasts, Wikipedia and Twitter by the time they go to secondary school.

Under the proposals, schools will no longer be required to teach Victorian history or the Second World War but can still opt to include them, The Guardian reported...

Kines
03-25-2009, 03:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DPKf7y1F-Q
KN

Samster
03-25-2009, 04:50 PM
facebook=narcissistic voyeurism
twitter=voyeuristic narcissism

Samster
03-25-2009, 04:52 PM
campagnolo=twitter
shimano=facebook

Arnabio
03-25-2009, 05:26 PM
campagnolo=twitter
shimano=facebook

Isn't Campy the old man of the group? Shouldn't it be:

SRAM=twitter
shimano=facebook
campy=myspace

Aaron

(http://www.twitter.com/arnabio) ;)

paulrad9
03-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Hey, not too long ago is used to be:

campagnolo = Compuserve
shimano = AoL

gemship
03-25-2009, 09:08 PM
. . . that he likes spending time with President Clinton and that he went to his kids Christmas pageant. It's so great that he can find some time out of his busy schedule between tweeting, training, and partying with Bill to spend some time with them.

BBD

that was awesome! :banana: