PDA

View Full Version : Storing/Hanging wheelsets?

Clydesdale
12-15-2008, 02:46 PM
It's -12 today and winter is definitely here so I'm renovating my "shop." (aka the small part of the basement my wife lets me have) Wondering if anyone has any good ideas for storing wheels. Exposed ceiling, so I can just hang them from the rafters but it seems like there must be a better way. It's only a couple sets, but I would like to find a way to store them neatly.

bigbill
12-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Whether you use hooks or a section of pipe, make sure the surface won't scratch your rims. The best setup I ever had was a section of 3/4" steel pipe with a pvc pipe over the outside. It was inserted into a hole drilled into a 4X4" block of wood mounted to the wall. It had a slight up angle but not enough to make the wheels stack on each other. In Hawaii I used the free standing wire shelves you can get at Home Depot or Lowes. I set the lower shelf next to the floor and the next shelf was about 2" higher than the height of a wheel with a tire. That was easier to organize but it took up some floor space where a bike could have sat.

djg
12-15-2008, 05:06 PM
J-hooks are fine and are coated with a non-scratching rubbery material when you get them (for a buck or two or whatever they cost at the hardware store). If you have something like a pipe extension or a metal rod holding a few wheels, you can cover it with foam pipe insulation.

I find it best not to store all my wheels in one place because . . . well, you know, somebody might think it looks like more than I need if not just an infestation. One or two wheelsets can go in wheel bags, neatly out of the way in a closet somewhere.

caleb
12-15-2008, 05:59 PM
On a related note, does it hurt to leave wheels (tubular or clincher) in an unheated garage in subzero weather?

I've never had an issue, but I thought it might do something to the glue.

Clydesdale
12-16-2008, 12:37 PM
I like the pipe idea, and I'll also check the local shop also, seems like they have a good display rack that might be copied.

97CSI
12-16-2008, 02:37 PM
J-hooks are fine and are coated with a non-scratching rubbery material when you get them (for a buck or two or whatever they cost at the hardware store).Yep. Just screw them into the floor joists if in the basement, like mine, and they will hold wheels, tires, bikes, whatever. And the soft PVC coating keeps them from scratching whatever is hung from them.

Kevan
12-16-2008, 02:46 PM
and fed them over rubberized hooks to add to the padding.

myette10
12-16-2008, 02:56 PM
.. and hang them in pairs, with the second wheel below the first. Using either a toe strap or a small piece of heavy wire coat hanger to lash the lower wheel to the upper one.

thwart
12-16-2008, 08:19 PM
On a related note, does it hurt to leave wheels (tubular or clincher) in an unheated garage in subzero weather? I've never had an issue, but I thought it might do something to the glue. I store my (ahem) small number of wheels outside in an unheated garage; both clinchers and tubulars. Never a problem.

Although... earlier today I was trying to get some miles in on the rollers I keep out there (ambient temp, 6 degrees, snowing, garage door open), and I couldn't get either of my pumps to work; I wanted to top off the pressure in the (clincher) tires before my workout. Brought both the bike and pump indoors for 20 minutes and, voila, everything worked just fine...

stackie
12-16-2008, 09:24 PM
I generally send the winter wheels off with the furs to the fur storage facility every spring. At first, I used to wrap them in my minks, but the facility caught on and offered to just store the wheels for an additional fee. They keep the summer wheels over the winter gratis since they have so much space in the winter. Overall, it works pretty well for me.

Jon

rustychisel
12-16-2008, 09:38 PM
I generally send the winter wheels off … I used to wrap them in my minks…

Jon

You sir, have style points coming your way. Too bad we're a fur free household, I can really see SWMBO donating to the cause.

97CSI
12-17-2008, 04:53 AM
... earlier today I was trying to get some miles in on the rollers I keep out there (ambient temp, 6 degrees, snowing, garage door open), and I couldn't get either of my pumps to work; I wanted to top off the pressure in the (clincher) tires before my workout. Brought both the bike and pump indoors for 20 minutes and, voila, everything worked just fine...Early dementia? :)

thwart
12-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Early dementia? Freeze and preserve brain tissue. Lord knows, there's not much there...

Worth a try anyway.

Actually if the sun is shining in and the wind blowing from behind the house, I can be down to nothing but a long sleeve T-shirt and bike shorts... the steam coming off you at that point is pretty impressive!

And it's really easy to clean up the frozen-in-place sweat droplets on the bike. :banana: