PDA

View Full Version : A visit with Joe Bell today

Jack Brunk
12-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Spent most of the morning visiting with Joe Bell and was able to some in the raw frames from a lot of the great builders that visit these forums. Bedford, Sachs, Kirk et. al. and to see them in the raw was quite eye opening. Joe is a great guy and I learned a lot today about the history of frame building. I was also able to work out paint schemes for my JKS and something else that's in his paint room.

guyintense
12-13-2008, 11:39 PM
I was also able to work out paint schemes for my JKS and something else that's in his paint room.

Something else that's in his paint room?
You must truly delight in teasing people on this forum.

ThasFACE
12-13-2008, 11:55 PM
Jack, it sounds like you have seen my new frame in the flesh before I have. I feel sort of violated.

Jack Brunk
12-14-2008, 12:01 AM
Jack, it sounds like you have seen my new frame in the flesh before I have. I feel sort of violated.
Thas my man,
I saw a lot today but we never really put names to frames except a few rare cases.

Jack Brunk
12-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Something else that's in his paint room?
You must truly delight in teasing people on this forum.
Guy,
I can't say anything until the builder releases the info. It's hard not to say anything but I'm sure there will be some forthcoming info very soon.

JBone
12-14-2008, 12:08 AM
Jack, so you must be here in San Diego, did you get a chance to meet Bill Holland? JB and BH, 2 of the best bike guys we have here in SD...IMO. :)

Jack Brunk
12-14-2008, 12:22 AM
Jack, so you must be here in San Diego, did you get a chance to meet Bill Holland? JB and BH, 2 of the best bike guys we have here in SD...IMO. :)
Jbone,
Nope, I drove down from Ventura County. About 2 hours and 20 minutes drive time. No Bill was not there as he comes to the shop on Weds and Fridays. He has a great selection of awesome Exogrid and Isogrid frames in the shop. I did get to see Bill Waltons Exogrid that Joe was preping for paint. The head tube on walton's frame seemed as long as some peoples top tube. For a super duper large frame it seemed well proportioned. Walton has become a hard core cyclist in the area and he's been doing some centuries and even a double in Death Valley.

1centaur
12-14-2008, 09:15 AM
My impression of Joe Bell's work is that it is highly professional but sticks to traditional paint jobs - solids, panels, etc. This may reflect the taste of the people using him. I would contrast that with Dave Sem, who does a lot of more creative pieces.

Did you see any sign in talking to Joe Bell that he also does, and is comfortable with, unusual, one-of-a-kind and significantly creative paint jobs?

Marco
12-14-2008, 09:51 AM
went through the process for my red JKS Special that is on its way to me. Working with Joe Bell was a whole great experience in itself. I can't think of a better experience than what I had with DKirk and JBell (or as our good DBRK would say: "there may be equals but there are no better").

Jack- if I ever have a chance for a "next time" w/ JB here is the deal: I am flying to LA and crashing at your place before I go the next day to San Diego to Joe's place......cool?

fwiw- in my discusions with JB I had the distinct impression that he is willing and able to do some very non-traditional work if that is what the customer seeks.

93legendti
12-14-2008, 09:57 AM
http://www.kirkframeworks.com/LauraO%20400.jpg

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=42011&highlight=kirk

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/photogallery_10-15/Roberts_400.jpg

SoCalSteve
12-14-2008, 10:21 AM
went through the process for my red JKS Special that is on its way to me. Working with Joe Bell was a whole great experience in itself. I can't think of a better experience than what I had with DKirk and JBell (or as our good DBRK would say: "there may be equals but there are no better").

Jack- if I ever have a chance for a "next time" w/ JB here is the deal: I am flying to LA and crashing at your place before I go the next day to San Diego to Joe's place......cool?

fwiw- in my discusions with JB I had the distinct impression that he is willing and able to do some very non-traditional work if that is what the customer seeks.

Thats the feeling that I have as well in my many chats with JB...I get the feeling that he truly wishes people wanted more fades and non-traditional paint schemes...

Maybe he has a bit of John Slawta or Dario Pegoretti in him that just hasnt come out as yet...

Just sayin'

Steve

Jeff N.
12-14-2008, 11:32 AM
My impression of Joe Bell's work is that it is highly professional but sticks to traditional paint jobs - solids, panels, etc. This may reflect the taste of the people using him. I would contrast that with Dave Sem, who does a lot of more creative pieces.

Did you see any sign in talking to Joe Bell that he also does, and is comfortable with, unusual, one-of-a-kind and significantly creative paint jobs?I have seen MANY of his non-traditional paint schemes over the years. What he can do is only limited to how deep you want to go in your wallet. He can do anything you dream up. Jeff N.

Cinci Jim
12-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Jack,

I don't know if it is there yet or not, but did you see my Kirk Tandem?

i think Dave was working to get it in the mail to JB this past week.

Jack Brunk
12-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Jack,

I don't know if it is there yet or not, but did you see my Kirk Tandem?

i think Dave was working to get it in the mail to JB this past week.
Jim,

I looked for it but I didn't see it.

Tom Byrnes
12-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Hi Jack,

I have been to JB's shop a few times. It must be a very busy place now, with the NAHBS coming up in a few months.

While you're being quizzed, I guess I will ask: Did you see my JKS Special? JB has taken the Velo Club La Grange colors and designed a paint scheme. I am very curious to see what he has created.

Best,

Tom

Jack Brunk
12-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi Jack,

I have been to JB's shop a few times. It must be a very busy place now, with the NAHBS coming up in a few months.

While you're being quizzed, I guess I will ask: Did you see my JKS Special? JB has taken the Velo Club La Grange colors and designed a paint scheme. I am very curious to see what he has created.

Best,

Tom
I did my friend and it's a world class winner. He's not quite done but it's a stunner for sure.

BumbleBeeDave
12-15-2008, 06:31 AM
. . . that Jack be expelled from this forum for posting this thread WITHOUT ANY PICTURES!! :crap: :crap: :crap: :p

BBD

William
12-15-2008, 06:38 AM
. . . that Jack be expelled from this forum for posting this thread WITHOUT ANY PICTURES!! :crap: :crap: :crap: :p

BBD

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2003/2189568405_c1003315b0.jpg

:D ;)

Volant
12-15-2008, 10:05 AM
William comes through again! LMAO

Tom Byrnes
12-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Jack,

Thanks for the teasing news. I will just have to wait the surprise.

Best regards,

Tom

Jack Brunk
12-15-2008, 10:50 AM

BBD
That's pretty funny because I really wanted to take my camera but I didn't want to offend Joe. I really wish you guys could have seen Bill Walton's frame. For a huge frame it seemed very normal looking even with a 30cm plus head tube. Joe had to mask off every diamond shaped unit on the exogrid for painting. You talk about labor intensive.

ThasFACE
12-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Thas my man,
I saw a lot today but we never really put names to frames except a few rare cases.
Excellent news. That means that my plans for my JKS to be stealthy are working.

Ken Robb
12-15-2008, 11:52 AM
I never considered that he might have been offended on the occasions when I have gone to his place to take pix of our Forum Pals' frames in process. He seemed to think it was cool. I hope he wasn't just being polite. Heck Joe held a Kirk up so I could take the photos of one guy's frame.

Waldo
12-15-2008, 12:23 PM
That's pretty funny because I really wanted to take my camera but I didn't want to offend Joe. I really wish you guys could have seen Bill Walton's frame. For a huge frame it seemed very normal looking even with a 30cm plus head tube. Joe had to mask off every diamond shaped unit on the exogrid for painting. You talk about labor intensive.

Think about the weight of multiple coats of paint on a Bill Walton-size frame! :confused:

William
12-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Think about the weight of multiple coats of paint on a Bill Walton-size frame! :confused:

That's a lot of surface area!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3133/2328953689_335835f21a.jpg?v=0

William

Ken Robb
12-15-2008, 02:20 PM
who built Walton's frame(s)? I think he may have a Bill Holland--not sure though.

Waldo
12-15-2008, 03:07 PM
... I did get to see Bill Waltons Exogrid that Joe was preping for paint. The head tube on walton's frame seemed as long as some peoples top tube. For a super duper large frame it seemed well proportioned. Walton has become a hard core cyclist in the area and he's been doing some centuries and even a double in Death Valley.

Likely a Holland, unless Titus did something custom for Walton and asked Bill Holland's next door neighbor to paint the frame.

Jack Brunk
12-15-2008, 04:28 PM
who built Walton's frame(s)? I think he may have a Bill Holland--not sure though.
Yes Ken it's a Holland exogrid frame. Bill sure got his money worth based on how much Ti and carbon were used.

wasfast
12-15-2008, 09:04 PM
I worked at Action Sports in Beaverton, Oregon when Bill Walton was with the Trailblazers. He bought a custom built Mercian back then (1976-1977) and created lots of exposure for cycling in the bike boom era. Great to see he's still into it. I know he had terrible knee trouble but perhaps that's been dealt with now.

fiamme red
12-15-2008, 09:10 PM
I own Bill Walton's Total Book of Bicycling. For some reason there are a lot of pictures of Peter Mooney bicycles in it. I assumed he rode a custom Mooney.

http://www.bobkestrut.com/2008/09/03/rare-groove-the-bill-walton-chronicles/

http://www.adventurecorps.com/deathvalley/billwalton/index.html

Bud_E
12-16-2008, 12:49 AM
I own Bill Walton's Total Book of Bicycling. For some reason there are a lot of pictures of Peter Mooney bicycles in it. I assumed he rode a custom Mooney....

I happen to have a copy of that book also. I attended UCLA the same time as Walton ( class of '74 ). I often saw him riding a bike around campus and Westwood -- it was a pretty striking sight.

Jeff N.
12-16-2008, 08:05 AM
I own Bill Walton's Total Book of Bicycling. For some reason there are a lot of pictures of Peter Mooney bicycles in it. I assumed he rode a custom Mooney.

http://www.bobkestrut.com/2008/09/03/rare-groove-the-bill-walton-chronicles/

http://www.adventurecorps.com/deathvalley/billwalton/index.htmlI'm sure he probably DOES have a P. Mooney. But he rides alot around here in San Diego (never seen him, myself ) and Holland has quite a rep in these parts, so he probably had to go see for himself, at Bill's shop/showroom...and seeing an Exogrid is to WANT an Exogrid. Bill H. probably told him he could make it happen and that was that. But one thing kinda puzzles me...how would you press in a headset? I mean, the headset press from Park isn't long enough to get completely through a headtube as long as Walton's needs to be. Maybe make a home-made one? Curious :confused: . Jeff N.

Kevan
12-16-2008, 03:24 PM
seeing JB's shop, meeting him (Holland too), and talkin' bikes. Very cool.