PDA

View Full Version : Integrated headset - frame build up snag...

Viper
12-13-2008, 12:53 AM
I had a friend grab a fork for my bike and he sent it to be painted. Today I received the pieces. A+B doesn't equal C; the fork is a 1-1/8th Columbus Carbon Muscle with carbon steering tube, an integrated design. There is a problem...the frame of the bike is not designed to use an integrated headset.

I had purchased a Campy Record 1-1/8th threadless headset (see below). The bottom of the headset, the fork race will not fit onto the fork. See photos and let me know your thoughts. I could press it down, as needed, but it seems like I'm going to damage the carbon. I have a friend who cut his fork crown race to fit over that carbon hump...your thoughts? Should I just split the fork crown race or slam it home with PVC tubing?

nicrump
12-13-2008, 06:44 AM
just slam it down. thats what it is made for. i do it every day.

Jeff N.
12-13-2008, 07:51 AM
Ditto. Don't make this harder than it needs to be. I'm assuming you have a crown race installation tool, or the PVC pipe you mention will probably do. Just SLAP that bad boy down. That's the way they're (crown races)made to fit. Maybe slather a bit of grease on, then SMACK that sumbeoch! Now press in your cups, install the fork and VOILA! Jeff N.

Dave
12-13-2008, 08:07 AM
A wise person would use calipers, measure the OD of the steering tube and compare to the ID of the race. Up to .004 inch interference is normal, but much more and you'll never get it pressed on.

rePhil
12-13-2008, 08:16 AM
The first thing I would do is measure both the race and seat. You can get a digital mike from Harbor freight for $15. Then you will know where the intolerance lies.
As far as using an integrated fork, I had the same situation with an Ouzo Pro.
Here's a photo:

hansolo758
12-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Hey Viper,

As we've discussed via pm, I'm no expert. I'm always uncomfortable forcing things together that weren't designed necessarily to work with each other (and thereby creating the potential for a structural problem with either the fork or the head tube). Wouldn't it be simpler just to get a fork that works with your frame? I realize it's more money after what you've already spent, but this is a new frame, and I'm sure you wouldn't want to do anything that might compromise its longevity. Just my $0.02.

rphetteplace
12-13-2008, 09:27 AM
if Nick Crumpton says it's ok I think your good to go.

Peter P.
12-13-2008, 10:29 AM
That little section the crown race won't fit over-measure it. It should be 30.02-30.07mm.

The ring you're trying to slip onto the crown race seat-it should measure 29.93-29.98mm.

Go measure. If the parts are in spec, you're okay. It's a PRESS fit, so you'll need a slide hammer, or suitable tool to do the job. If you don't have anything, bring it to a bike shop.

Viper
12-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Gentlemen, thank you. The silver Nitto ui-5gx stem and Chris King spacers won't be here for a few days. There will be peace on earth and good will to the DeSalvo. :beer:

Louis
12-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Hey Viper,

Seems to me that there are two separate issues here:

1) Whether or not that crown race is the correct one for that fork steerer tube race seat, and

2) The fact that the frame is or is not intended for an integrated H/S.

Also, cutting the crown race in order to get it installed is almost like chopping your hand off because your shirtsleeve is too short - not the right approach and defeats the purpose of the whole thing. Cartridge bearings would minimize the negative impact of doing that (unlike a traditional non-cartridge system, which would obviously not work at all and give you a nice "indexed" steering sytem) but since crown races are so inexpensive it makes sense to just use the correct size. (Assuming the rest of the H/S was the correct size to begin with.)

Good Luck

nicrump
12-13-2008, 04:19 PM
if Nick Crumpton says it's ok I think your good to go.

trust me dood, slam it home.

Viper
12-13-2008, 04:41 PM
trust me dood, slam it home.

I trust ya bro. :beer: The Nitto stem arrived today. Charcoal Fizik tape, Velox plugs and Campy BB cable guide will be here by Wednesday. I also had to order one of these (I ordered the Nashbar version too, but this one seems beefier)....

Reynolds New Compression Plug: 1-1/8''. Reynolds Compression Plug. Includes cap, bolt, and expander for carbon steerer.
Price: $21.95
Manufacturer: Reynolds