PDA

View Full Version : anyone here know argonaut bikes

jimcav
12-12-2008, 09:41 AM
curious what experiences may be with the process or the ride compared to what you had, expected, etc.
thanks
jim

Fly_I80
12-14-2008, 08:58 PM
I own the Argonaut that won the Builder’s Choice Award at the Rocky Mountain Custom Bike Show in November. (Your post came up because I have a Google Alert set up since the award is still getting press--and wouldn’t you have a clip file if your bike won an award?)

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/rocky-mountain-show-handbuilt-beauties-on-display-19210

I wanted specific handling characteristics in a steel single speed cross bike with a flippable Phil Wood hub that can go fixed when I want that. Basically I replaced a clanking POS single speed cross bike I had and wanted that configuration on a bike with the build quality I’m used to. Argonaut was a great choice.

It would be no problem to work with him long distance as long as you had the fit totally under control—you really need to know exactly what works for you fit-wise. I think Ben will steer you to a Serotta-certified local fit consultant if you need that. He presented build kits after long discussions and we talked later and made adjustments. The bike is extremely well put together, it’s exactly what I wanted. Ben’s really creative and I tried to defer to him on a lot of decisions, but he didn’t really allow that most of the time, which is good. You can’t say “do whatever you think would be best” and expect him to quietly go along by just jamming the most expensive component on the bike.

He made that logo dropout for this bike, and I feel like I got the benefit of that flourish without really asking for it, it was his idea (though I was enthusiastic about it, and still am even when I have to "floss" it to clean it out). The welds and hand-polished stainless lugs are incredible and obviously took many hours. The paint on this one is a little softer than I would like, but my feedback to Ben is probably every subsequent buyer’s gain because I think he made some changes.

He really listens, and it’s exactly what I asked for. It is a cross frame with a Freightliner-long wheelbase and a really stiff rear triangle. It has all the ride characteristics I wanted in terms of stiffness, cornering, ride, etc. I find the ride to be very direct, and the result is a responsive, quick bike that can plow though varied terrain with confidence. It corners surprisingly aggressively.

If I had one concern it is that Ben is a young guy and if you can afford his stuff you're probably older and creakier than he is (I sure am). Be very careful saying that you want an extreme characteristic like stiffness, because he'll really do what you say and you might get more than you really wanted. I emphasized stiff, and dang this frame is STIFF. Present moderate views if you want a moderate bike. Be realistic with yourself and who you are, because he will mirror what you present.