PDA

View Full Version : what if a meivici fell from the sky...a rhetorical question??

spiderman
12-11-2008, 12:32 PM
and just landed in your lap?

i am very content with my current fleet of serottas...however--
(i also have a fillmore fixed, ibis tandem and lemond alpe du huez)

1. carbon/ti
i have the ottrott decked out with red and am approaching
maybe half way to 100k on the bike. why even have another bike??
i like to get out and ride fast at noon for an hour weather permitting...
...so the bike pretty much lives at the office...

2. steel
i have my csi with campy 10 and modified with aerobars
as a great double, double century bike...420 mile ride across south dakota.

3. ti
the coupled uniscasi cross with ultegra triple...
commuting in snow pack and ice
has been a great touring, travel, cross commuter.

is number 4 currently missing? all carbon--
where does the meivici fit in the riding scenario??

i have an opportunity to seal the deal on a 'photoshoot meivici'...
my head says it's way too much bike for a hack like me.
my heart says i should just buy bikes for africa and call it good.
my gut tells me i would ride the daylights out of a meivici
and it would find it's niche in the fleet and quite possibly
become my favorite bike...

my wife is very supportive of my decision either way.

anyone care to comment and/or give me advice? :fight:

StephenCL
12-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Sorry Ben and team. The price of a new Meivici has reached the point of rediculous...its like "do I buy a new car, or do I buy a new Meivici"?

It will be interesting to see what effect the economy will have on the go forward pricing of the Meivici.

Just my .02.

Stephen

Elefantino
12-11-2008, 12:45 PM
First, I'd check my lap to make sure it's OK.

Then I'd sell it, too.

Then again, if your heart yearns for carbon, why not? If a Legend fell from the sky, I'd probably welcome it with open arms, too.

Smiley
12-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Its a different riding bike, not better then what you have just different. It is a Carbone frame and as such does what Carbone is supposed to do. Is that your thing, my guess is your more into long distance riding and your going to have a hard time beating the overall ride of an Ottrott or CSI for the distance in the saddle.

timto
12-11-2008, 01:55 PM
If it's that white 54'ish one from a couple of years ago... when that was on the sale list I was lusting for it big time. I was even thinking of being a one bike person for that bike....just to justify it's enormous cost but also force myself to get the most miles on just it.

I have always had a soft spot for our hosts bikes after owning a not so perfect fitting legend.

I've been 'trying' to find a stable spot for one still.

Tough situation to be in ! Let us know how it turns out...

false_Aest
12-11-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm probably going to annoy someone but whatever . . . .

***? You've got six rad bikes? Donate the $$. Help end cholera. Send canned goods to the food pantries that don't have anything. Sponsor kids in 3rd world countries. Send $$ for people to make bamboo bicycles.

Or

Sell one of the BITCHIN' 6 you already have, get the overpriced carbon and donate the proceeds from the sale.

OR (best idea yet)

Buy the bike. Keep the six. Figure out how much you're worth hourly and donate the equiv. cost of the carbon-bling-bling-boner-maker in work hours to a cause.

Just to make sure you realize how COMPLETELY EFFIN RIDICULOUS things are right now: According to Sertta MSRP it would take 1,282[U] hours for some dude making minimum wage, 700 hours for me (I'm effin' glad I got my masters) or 23 years for the average Joe in India to afford the carbon-bling-bling-boner-maker----yeah, that's just the frame-set. Way to go Ben.

PS. The Rabbi Heschel also said, "We may not all be guilty, but we are all responsible."

Volant
12-11-2008, 02:28 PM

I can't relate, therefore, I can't comment. :crap:

znfdl
12-11-2008, 02:31 PM
I would sell the Meivici and buy two somewhat non-carbon reasonably priced bikes.

Jeff N.
12-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Sorry Ben and team. The price of a new Meivici has reached the point of rediculous...its like "do I buy a new car, or do I buy a new Meivici"?

It will be interesting to see what effect the economy will have on the go forward pricing of the Meivici.

Just my .02.

StephenTotally agree. Jeff N.

csm
12-11-2008, 02:43 PM
make no apologies for the ability to afford one... BUY IT. ride it. keep on keeping on.

zap
12-11-2008, 02:47 PM
My lap.....if it had Serotta's stiffest tubeset, proper man spec tt and the headtube was short enough, I'd keep it.

Plus, it would be the fastest Serotta around and :) would be so pleased that............, well, use your imagination. :banana:

victoryfactory
12-11-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm probably going to annoy someone but whatever . . . .

***? You've got six rad bikes? Donate the $$. Help end cholera. Send canned goods to the food pantries that don't have anything. Sponsor kids in 3rd world countries. Send $$ for people to make bamboo bicycles.

Or

Sell one of the BITCHIN' 6 you already have, get the overpriced carbon and donate the proceeds from the sale.

OR (best idea yet)

Buy the bike. Keep the six. Figure out how much you're worth hourly and donate the equiv. cost of the carbon-bling-bling-boner-maker in work hours to a cause.

Just to make sure you realize how COMPLETELY EFFIN RIDICULOUS things are right now: According to Sertta MSRP it would take 1,282[U] hours for some dude making minimum wage, 700 hours for me (I'm effin' glad I got my masters) or 23 years for the average Joe in India to afford the carbon-bling-bling-boner-maker----yeah, that's just the frame-set. Way to go Ben.

PS. The Rabbi Heschel also said, "We may not all be guilty, but we are all responsible."

I've struggled with this argument before, without a satisfactory answer.
Most of us here have way more than the average person has in the "3rd world"
Many of us feel we should help others who are less fortunate. But Isn't there
a way to live in a rich country and take advantage of our gifts here without
constantly comparing our lifestyle to someone else's?

After all, when I buy a $7,000. bike from Serotta, I am helping people too,
like the guys who work there and need to pay US pricing on all the food,
clothes and rent that their families need.

One could argue that on one level, it's MORE righteous to spend at a US based
company than to go to Walmart and pay 100 bucks for a Chinese bike.

Just riffin'

VF

dshaner
12-11-2008, 04:44 PM
May the person without "sin" cast the first stone!

While I choose not to $12k for a bike, I spent $20k for a piano and $5k for a bike frame. I cannot imagine spending $20k for even a new car, and see many of us average "western civilized" folk spending far more for automobiles.

It is easy for me to find fault with others, but never for buying a bicycle, and never in a way that I do not also indict myself, and all other North Americans and Europeans.

93legendti
12-11-2008, 04:49 PM
I've struggled with this argument before, without a satisfactory answer.
Most of us here have way more than the average person has in the "3rd world"
Many of us feel we should help others who are less fortunate. But Isn't there
a way to live in a rich country and take advantage of our gifts here without
constantly comparing our lifestyle to someone else's?

After all, when I buy a $7,000. bike from Serotta, I am helping people too,
like the guys who work there and need to pay US pricing on all the food,
clothes and rent that their families need.

One could argue that on one level, it's MORE righteous to spend at a US based
company than to go to Walmart and pay 100 bucks for a Chinese bike.

Just riffin'

VF

Follow your gut and do what makes you happy.

make no apologies for the ability to afford one... BUY IT. ride it. keep on keeping on.

ThirtyEast
12-11-2008, 05:45 PM

Just my .02.

Stephen

Respectfully, I guess I'd rather spend the money on a MeiVici. I get infinitely more enjoyment from my bike than I do from my car and I spend more time riding than I do driving by a healthy margin.

Plus, I have a hard time buying everyone's indignation about the cost of Serotta bikes. Sure, other bikes are nice and ride well for a lot less coin, but don't we, generally speaking, buy cars $30k and above even though a $13k new car will still get you from point A to point B? All told, our culture is full of extravagances and luxuries that are a lot more bothersome to me and arguably debasing to our society than a dude with an expensive bike.

Sandy
12-11-2008, 05:46 PM
I would sell the Meivici and buy two somewhat non-carbon reasonably priced bikes.

One for you and one for me. You give me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside. Thanks!! :)

Sandy

Sandy
12-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Charity and owning an expensive bike are not mutually exclusive. An individual can be generous and giving in many ways- financial is but one. The number of bikes one has is probably not even related to how charitable an individual is, financial or otherwise.

Justification of a bicycle purchase is not necessary. A MeiVici will probably have a different ride than any of your bikes as it is all carbon. If you are satisfied with the price, your wife is ok with it, and you believe you will enjoy it, why not purchase it? If you find it as enjoyable as you anticipate, keep it, and possibly sell one of your other bikes if you feel that you will not be using it very much anymore. If the MeiVici turns out not to be for you, then you could sell it. Just remember that you will take a substantial loss when you sell a used bike. Especially in the economy that exists today.

A special bicycle will give you a special enjoyment that cannot be measured by price. It will provide you with joy that is not easily found elsewhere for many of us.

Sandy

mflaherty37
12-11-2008, 06:14 PM
i'd ride the muther, resale value sucks + it's a solid light sled. I even like the looks if it could have say a panel paint job. oh lord won't you buy me a panel paint job...

jbrainin
12-11-2008, 06:56 PM
FWIW, I like my MeiVici better than my Legend. They are both great bikes but the MeiVici is more likely to bring a silly grin to my face while riding.

Ti Designs
12-11-2008, 07:59 PM
I have a bike, so until another set of legs also falls out of the sky I'm all set. I do have to question the need for so many people on the forum to own so many bikes. I own a Serotta, and when looking at what should change to make the ride better, it's all changes in the rider. A far more expensive bike would just make me look worse. y'all are probably far better riders than I am...

mflaherty37
12-11-2008, 09:55 PM
I have a bike, so until another set of legs also falls out of the sky I'm all set. I do have to question the need for so many people on the forum to own so many bikes. I own a Serotta, and when looking at what should change to make the ride better, it's all changes in the rider. A far more expensive bike would just make me look worse. y'all are probably far better riders than I am...
well i'll ride my legend till it cracks. And to mix it up I ride a csi lots too. so I may never get another bike unless a meivici falls from the sky. and if both those crack, all i would want is whatever is cheap and does what it should. like the 2008 ridley noah for $1850ish from Excel. i'm better off spending my time riding what i have than working to pay for what i have.

avalonracing
12-11-2008, 10:19 PM
I say "Bikes for Africa". They will change lives and possibly futures. If you have to have the new bike sell the one you like/ride the least and donate. In either case give (It's cool that you considering it in the first place).

false_Aest
12-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Ti-D said it best: 2 legs 1 bike.

Clydesdale
12-12-2008, 10:14 AM
How about these...

Let's assume -
1) OP rides about 10K actual miles a year. An average of 200 miles a week about 50 weeks a year. Let's assume he rides every day, rain, shine, snow, etc.

2) Let's also assume that he and his wife just gave 50 bikes to the Trek/world vision Bikes for Africa project.

3) Also assume that he has given dozens of bikes, wheels, frames and groups to people to encourage new riders.

4) Assume that the logical place to talk to some of the relatively few people that actually own a meivici and not just have opinions about their cost is the forum,

5) and finally lets assume that this is a full on completely outfitted bike w/ top notch stuff for just a little more than retail on the frame, less than what 50 bikes for Africa cost, and slightly over 1/2 retail.

Then again, we all know what assuming does?

Blue Jays
12-12-2008, 10:27 AM
People with considerable money tend to be charitable. Look at Bill & Melinda Gates, for example. I wonder what he rides?

StephenCL
12-12-2008, 10:30 AM
A Huffy....

People with considerable money tend to be charitable. Look at Bill & Melinda Gates, for example. I wonder what he rides?

fiamme red
12-12-2008, 11:22 AM
People with considerable money tend to be charitable. Look at Bill & Melinda Gates, for example. I wonder what he rides?Shimano, of course.

Microsoft = Shimano :banana:

(Ducking and running)

katematt
12-12-2008, 11:34 AM

:fight:

Is she available? not that mines not great, but lets just say the quiver hasn't expanded too much recently.

Viper
12-12-2008, 11:38 AM
If a Meivici landed in a forest and a man yells, "Hallelujah" but his wife isn't there to hear him, is he still wrong and does he get tossed into the dog house for bringing another bike home?

Ti Designs
12-12-2008, 11:43 AM
How about these...

Let's assume -
1) OP rides about 10K actual miles a year. An average of 200 miles a week about 50 weeks a year. Let's assume he rides every day, rain, shine, snow, etc.

2) Let's also assume that he and his wife just gave 50 bikes to the Trek/world vision Bikes for Africa project.

3) Also assume that he has given dozens of bikes, wheels, frames and groups to people to encourage new riders.

4) Assume that the logical place to talk to some of the relatively few people that actually own a meivici and not just have opinions about their cost is the forum,

5) and finally lets assume that this is a full on completely outfitted bike w/ top notch stuff for just a little more than retail on the frame, less than what 50 bikes for Africa cost, and slightly over 1/2 retail.

Then again, we all know what assuming does?

1) I got the 10K/year covered.

2) My ex-wife has the money, I had no idea Africa was counting on her...

3) That's pretty much the job description of coaching the Harvard team. I tried to all but give away some wheels here but it didn't work, they're all still in my car.

4) Yup.

5) So it's out of my price range, not way out of my price range...

With all this taken into account I recounted my legs - still just two. Guess my old Serotta will have to do.

pdmtong
12-12-2008, 11:56 AM
I don't see the point of the drift into charity or value or price. if you want it, buy it. it's your money, your life. don't agonize over it or try to come up with a justification/rationalization. it doesnt matter whether you ride it 1 mile a year or 10,000 miles a year. so chose a path, and don't look back.

Hardlyrob
12-12-2008, 12:01 PM
With all this taken into account I recounted my legs - still just two. Guess my old Serotta will have to do.

Now come on TiD - I KNOW you have more than one bike. I seem to remember a 27 pound fixie, and a tandem. How DO you ride all of them with only two legs?

Inquiring minds need to know!

:p

Rob

Noonan
12-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Take the Meivici.
Leave the cannoli.

Clydesdale
12-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Point made.

Now if you will excuse me it's time for lunch and I have to wash my one fork and plate before I can eat. :)

pdbrye
12-12-2008, 02:18 PM
and just landed in your lap?

i am very content with my current fleet of serottas...however--
(i also have a fillmore fixed, ibis tandem and lemond alpe du huez)

1. carbon/ti
i have the ottrott decked out with red and am approaching
maybe half way to 100k on the bike. why even have another bike??
i like to get out and ride fast at noon for an hour weather permitting...
...so the bike pretty much lives at the office...

2. steel
i have my csi with campy 10 and modified with aerobars
as a great double, double century bike...420 mile ride across south dakota.

3. ti
the coupled uniscasi cross with ultegra triple...
commuting in snow pack and ice
has been a great touring, travel, cross commuter.

is number 4 currently missing? all carbon--
where does the meivici fit in the riding scenario??

i have an opportunity to seal the deal on a 'photoshoot meivici'...
my head says it's way too much bike for a hack like me.
my heart says i should just buy bikes for africa and call it good.
my gut tells me i would ride the daylights out of a meivici
and it would find it's niche in the fleet and quite possibly
become my favorite bike...

Is your wife available to talk to my wife??? They don't seem to be on the same page... :p

Charles M
12-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Having had the Parlee Z1SL and Crumpton SL and Colnago's C40-50 and EP, and having Had the Ottrot ST and Noe And Seven Elium Race and a few others...

HELL yes I would go for the Meivici...

I'm not the best person to expect a piss and maon about the price of one high end bike versus another...

And having had custom in every material (and combination), I can say that there is simply not a metal or combo bike produced that matches custom Carbon, made at it's best, on all fronts (stiffness, smoothness and weight)...

I get that not everyone can spend the money. That leads some to have a varied opinion than I have and that's totally cool. But no way I pass on custom carbon from a company as exceptionally well qualified as a builder as is Serotta...

You might dump it because of a financial situation... But purely speaking, ride to ride, I wouldn't guess many would find much of a list of better bikes.

14max
12-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Holy crap. There are a lot more troubles in the world.

Change your life or someone else's.

Do what you freakin' want.

The United States is still a democracy, isn't it?

I freakin' miss George Carlin...

Ti Designs
12-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Now come on TiD - I KNOW you have more than one bike. I seem to remember a 27 pound fixie, and a tandem. How DO you ride all of them with only two legs?

Well, the tandem(s) work best with four legs...

KeithS
12-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Buy the Meivici. Then that old Ottrott will never get ridden. I'll give you $500 for it. No really, can't let a nice ride like that sit around. I'm just that kind of generous.

It never rains any kind of Serotta's when I'm in Iowa. I told my wife the Fierte came from the bike fairy, and I got it because I was a very good boy.

spiderman
12-12-2008, 10:51 PM
i decided i would 'go for the meivici'
if the fit worked based on the frame specs...
for any of you keeping track and have an 08 catalogue
see page number 6. the other photo i can share
is the bottom right photo at signature cycles
http://signaturecycles.com/document/111642/

as i returned home at 0130 my wife asked me
how i was going to like the color blue??
immediately i thought of the bike...
...then i realized she was asking about
the new color of the front hallway
painted in the last two days...
'i love it honey, you picked out a winner'!
...the she said, i knew you'd like it...and
'you're really going to get great mileage
out of that new bike of yours, too'!

i stopped at the shop today with the ottrott
to compare x-y measurements
with that of the meivici
and they are within 2mm...
...so i think the bike will ship within the week!

i appreciate all the comments and opinions
...if delivery goes as anticipated
next weekend i hope to host a box opening party
...either at the dead end street of my own choosing
or the expedition company!
obtw,
i'll bring plenty of clean silverware to share!

zap
12-13-2008, 08:37 AM
and they are within 2mm...

Thats well within a good, or bad, nights sleepatmo.

Keith A
12-13-2008, 01:08 PM
...if delivery goes as anticipated
next weekend i hope to host a box opening party
...either at the dead end street of my own choosing
or the expedition company!Make sure you take plenty of pictures for us...btw, this couldn't be going to a nicer fellow!

Keith A
12-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Having had the Parlee Z1SL and Crumpton SL and Colnago's C40-50 and EP, and having Had the Ottrot ST and Noe And Seven Elium Race and a few others...I am curious how you would rate these various bikes that you have had the opportunity to ride/own? What was your favorite and why?

BumbleBeeDave
12-13-2008, 01:20 PM
I am curious how you would rate these various bikes that you have had the opportunity to ride/own? What was your favorite and why?

Go too Pez Cycling News and do a search. PZ is one of their product reviewers. Hopefully his reviews are still archived.

BBD

dogdriver
12-13-2008, 01:55 PM

So do I. Give Dennis Leary a try as inheriting the "voice of reason cryng in the wilderness". His new (only) book "Why We Suck" is a good, if irreverent, place to start.

3 inches on the ground in UT. The Pugsley comes out tomorrow...

With apoplogies to Edward Abbey, Chris

Ti Designs
12-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Having had the Parlee Z1SL and Crumpton SL and Colnago's C40-50 and EP, and having Had the Ottrot ST and Noe And Seven Elium Race and a few others...

HELL yes I would go for the Meivici...

Working in a shop, I've had the chance to put a few miles on a few high end bikes as well - when customers ask about how a bike rides I'd rather not be talking out my a$$ or just making stuff up. My test rides tend to be a few hundred miles 'cause a trip around the block doesn't tell me much about the bike. Some of the bikes I've tried are really impressive - it's hard not to notice the feel of a Meivici with carbon tubulars. And yet the thought of upgrading the bike doesn't get very far. I look at my bike (a La Corsa with 9-speed Dura-Ace and Ultegra) and I look at myself, and know that I am the weak link. I'm now in a training program for my return to racing next season. Maybe 3 months of training and being 15 pounds lighter will change my thinking, but at 45 probably not. I guess I'm just not into bikes like most people here...

Charles M
12-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Even most protour riders could lose that extra pound or gain a bit more fitness...

I wouldn't pretend at all to speak for most people, but I don't think it a requirement to be the absolute pinnacle of fitness in order to appreciate a better bike.

spiderman
12-14-2008, 09:44 AM
i just found out the truth of the matter:

the new meivici is for her
and i can just pretend that it's mine...

;)

spiderman
12-26-2008, 03:53 PM
i went in for my fitting today--
...as i mounted the meivici
my bike shop owner and friend
commented on my spin
and how i have progressed in my riding...
then as we were sizing and adjusting
he just stopped and looked at me
and said this bike just wasn't going to work
...wasn't the right bike at the right time...
we had a great conversation that reminded me
of something one of my colleagues said
at a recent spirituality in medicine retreat...
1. show up
2. be honest
3. listen
4. give up control of the outcome
a good way to finish out the year
and look forward to the one upcoming--

Keith A
12-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Just curious...why didn't it work? It sure is a beauty!

KeithS
12-26-2008, 09:56 PM
I hope you aren't going to waste an open to buy from the Mrs though now are you? Keep us informed on the outcome. That sure was a pretty bike, if it had been red it would have been perfect...

jl123
12-26-2008, 10:23 PM
"I don't see the point of the drift into charity or value or price. if you want it, buy it. it's your money, your life. don't agonize over it or try to come up with a justification/rationalization. it doesnt matter whether you ride it 1 mile a year or 10,000 miles a year. so chose a path, and don't look back."

Indeed when it comes to buying a thing one may not need bring charity into it. However as we all know life most certainly is not fair. So its up to some of us somewhere to be charitable. Its as obvious as my reflection in the mirror. Life would be no fun without the ability to share- I mean that is unless one did not have the capicity to feel, then I could understand. J

Ahneida Ride
12-27-2008, 10:33 AM
The United States is still a democracy, isn't it?

Actually, The US is a Constitutional Republic, not a mobocracy

Well, it was designed to be a Constitution Republic. :rolleyes:

It sure ain't no longer.

14max
12-27-2008, 11:40 AM
Actually, The US is a Constitutional Republic, not a mobocracy

Well, it was designed to be a Constitution Republic. :rolleyes:

It sure ain't no longer.

I'm not sure what it is anymore. What's a "mobocracy" anyway?

The point was that people should choose what they want (things, ideas, etc.) based on what they think rather than be influenced by others.

dsteady
12-27-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure what it is anymore. What's a "mobocracy" anyway?

The point was that people should choose what they want (things, ideas, etc.) based on what they think rather than be influenced by others.

A "mobocracy" is the exact opposite of your last sentence.

jl123
12-27-2008, 12:10 PM
"The point was that people should choose what they want (things, ideas, etc.) based on what they think rather than be influenced by others."

It never ceases to amaze me just how many ways there are to form the same exact argument. For thousands and thousands of years us humans (and probably animals too!) have been debating this very issue.

a. I make my way, I control my destiny, I use my intellect and strength and purpose to position myself to choose anything I can dream. Will trumps all. - where have we read these ideas?

or is it

b. We must figure out how to make our way together. Or risk losing what we have.

14max
12-27-2008, 01:45 PM

spiderman
12-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Just curious...why didn't it work? It sure is a beauty!

...the stem on the meivici is too long for me...
and there's no changing that! :no: