PDA

View Full Version : Sad times these are

David Gelinas
12-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Today was a rather sad day – long story short I’m out what I believe is a 56C Nova Special; black triangle with purple stays and yellow decals with 600 groupo.

As Paul Harvey would say, “Now for the rest of the story”. When the weather is conducive we ride Tue & Thurs early (predawn/dawn) mornings. I have been riding with two good friends for about three years now and I personally or either of them for that matter have never directly had a problem. About 6 months ago a young friend about 24 decides he’d like to ride with us and I now ride my Fierte so I lent him my Nova Special. He’s a young kid with a wife and very young daughter and they are really great kids; so I had the extra bike so I let him ride it knowing full well what the eventuality of it all could end up being. My brother, a former racer and long time rider has gone with us on our early morning rides maybe 4-6 times over the past few months.

The kid had never ridden road bikes before this so needless to say he was a real squirrel when he started to ride, but his abilities have improved. As a matter of fact on our way out this AM I was noticing that he was riding much better, or so I thought. I was tired so I turned around early expecting them to catch me when after a couple of miles my phone rings. It’s this kid calling to tell me he’s broken my bike and my brother’s 2 year old Orbea w/ Recoerd groupo and Zonda wheels. The kid was in front and cornered at a high rate of speed – he just way over shot the corner and nailed the curb at ninety degrees. The problem was my brother was drafting off of him and also hit the curb. Both top and down tubes are badly crunched. My brother’s wheel will clear the down tube but my wheel protrudes about 50% into my down tube. Oddly enough, neither front wheel appears to be flat spotted – go figure. I would assume the steering tubes are also toasted but we haven’t gotten that deep into them yet.

Physically speaking they’re both okay. The kids fine aside from his pride and the fact that he feels really bad about the whole thing. My brother has a good size knot on his forehead with a little gash in it as well as some road rash on his face – not to bad for being a couple of years short of 50 (Trust me, his face doesn’t look any worse than before the ride).

Unfortunately I don’t think my frame is worth saving or even possible, maybe some of you can give me some insight. The frame still road great but it did have a tiny bit of spider webbing going on, on the top tube just before the seat tube lug. I’m gonna really miss that bike. It’s not the monetary thing; I only paid $600.00 or $700.00 for it three years ago when I stated riding again. It’s just the sentimental thing – man I loved that bike. Sure it had crappy 600 components on it but it was still special to me. Not to mention how sexy that frame was, how the pinch bolt is integrated into the seat stays – man its beautiful, very old school.

And I feel bad for the kid. Like I said he’s got a young family and he can’t afford to buy his own bike let alone replace someone else’s; and I don’t want him to worry about that. Like I said, I’m no dummy; I knew what could have happened when I let him borrow it. As a matter of fact I’d like to try and find another decent riding 56 of any make to build back up for him. Needless to say I’ve got a few used parts now lying around that I could use.

Like I said, they’re both okay. Just let this be a reminder to you; ride with novice riders, help them, encourage them, teach them – just keep them in the back of the group or at the very least keep an eye on them so they don’t kill themselves or you.

David Gelinas

KevinK
12-09-2008, 04:30 PM
I feel you pain with the loss of a treasured bike. I also feel badly for the "kid" because he is feeling that he is to blame for the whole affair. However, it needs to be said that this type of incident is not limited to novice riders. I was on a training ride years ago, and we were screaming down McBeth Road, just outside of Eugene. We had an experienced team racer in the front and I was tight on his wheel. Well, he over-cooked a right hander, and we both got way out of shape. he was a better bike handler than I was and was able to stay upright, but I crashed fairly hard, and a soft bed of poison oak was the only thing that saved me from severe injury. The leader felt really bad, but after realizing that I survived relatively unscathed, I laughed it off and we continued the decent in fairly good spirits. 10 days later I was in real agony from the poison oak. Another time a small group of us were returning from a ride and we coming to a place where the bike path crossed a busy street. I was coming to a stop and just about to unclip my right pedal when my riding buddy pulls up right next to me. He took the little space I needed to unclip and lean, and I couldn't proceed forward into the street. So I had to lean into him for support, and we both slowly pitched over onto the ground. Pretty funny until we realized that his derailleur hanger had snapped off and his rear Rolf Elan wheel was tweaked.

Yeah, even experienced riders can make bonehead moves.

Kevin

TimD
12-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Sorry to hear of the mishap. I hope it works out for you in the end.

The problem was my brother was drafting off of him and also hit the curb

One fine day I was lapping Lime Rock in the green run group. After one too many minor off-course excursions by the 944 directly ahead of us, the driving instructor in my passenger seat shouted into the cockpit radio:

Don't follow him! He doesn't know where he's going!

To be fair, one foggy pre-dawn ride I was on the front of a 10-bike paceline and nearly drove the train straight into the woods. This at a slight bend in the road which was more-or-less invisible at the time...

Tim

bigman
12-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Kids fine - your brother not to bad off, bike is probably toast - not so sad. Now yo ;) can go find another.

bironi
12-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Good for you bringing the kid along. I think your brother probably learned a lesson. Sorry that it was an expensive one. Good for you to forgive the young one also. Things will work out. :beer:

PaulE
12-09-2008, 07:55 PM
and glad the kids are alright. FWIW, the Serotta may be repairable Technically feasible and economically practical are 2 different matters, but if you can afford it and it has some sentimental value it may be worth looking into.

mgm777
12-09-2008, 10:43 PM
David - PM sent...check your PMs.

David Gelinas
12-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Guys

Thank you all for your comments they were all very nice. I saw my brother as well as our young friend, the “kid”, last night at a meeting and they were both doing well. The swelling on my brothers forehead had gone down and the road rash wasn’t even that bad. The good news is it looks as if our friend has possibly even found a bike to ride out of all of this. He’s found an early to mid 90’s Colorado w/ a Campy groupo, so I was glad about that. I hope it works out for him. Again thanks for all of your comments, I think he’ll find them encouraging and I’m gonna send them (the URL) along to ‘em.

Take care,
David Gelinas