PDA

View Full Version : BMX bike recommendation

I'm Not Worthy!
11-19-2004, 02:57 PM
A co-worker is looking to buy BMX type bike for his son for Christmas and asked for recommendations. I'm clue-less on the matter. Anybody have any recommendations on makes/models/features etc for under $200?

Also, any recommendations on shops that carry them in the Oakland, CA area would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sandy
11-19-2004, 03:01 PM
I have no idea about your question. However, if you ride a bike, you are most worthy. Change your name!!!

Sandy

PaulE
11-19-2004, 03:49 PM
I bought one for my son a few years back. Pretty bullet proof for what the kids do on them. What other 20 inch wheels have 48 spokes? Also, watch out for hernias if you try to lift it. I think the frame is made from steel bar, not tubing. As I recall, it was more than $200, but it has stood up well to the jumping, grinding, etc. that kids do with these bikes.

pale scotsman
11-19-2004, 04:55 PM
I picked up a Giant Rhythm G 20" for the wee one at the end of the summer for $200. It was a 2003 on closeout and has a full cromoly frame and fork, cromoly 3 piece crank, 48 spokes, etc.

Wee me is only 11, and the bike is a little heavy for him to be truthful. These newer jumping style bikes are way overbuilt for younger kids so if your bud's son is young I'd go with a lighter racing style bike. Specialized has some cool ones. We shopped on ebay trying to find an old school PK Ripper but they hold their value these days.

Not to sound cheap but even Walmart has decent BMX Schwinns for ~$110. I wouldn't trust their builds though. We got one 2 years back and I gave it a good hour on the stand and it's held up well.

gasman
11-19-2004, 06:11 PM
My son is 12 and the bike has not turned a hair in two years. It is completely bombproof but it was over $200. I think they make less expensive models but you do pay for what you get.
I spent a lot of time repairing his old Specialized Hot Rock and finally sold it to Play it again Sports for $15, and I think we got a good deal.

Blastinbob
11-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Go old school, I have an old Race Inc. bmx bike that I built for my son 20 some years ago, he rode if for a total of 2 miles :rolleyes:, he was a bookworm. You can find them on ebay all restored.

Lifelover
11-19-2004, 09:58 PM
Unless the kids is going to be droping in a pool with it, try to avoid the oval tube steel bikes designed the the X game generation. Look for one that is designed for racing. It will be made of aluminum or small diameter steel, light and durable.

Not many companies are making race BMX bikes anymore so 200 for a new one may not happen

However, if you can go used they are some of the best values on ebay.

Redline Proline is a great one.

Good Luck