PDA

View Full Version : C02 Cart shelf life

Charles M
12-09-2008, 10:01 AM
OK, I know they're supposed to be forever, but does anyone have any info to the cont...?

Blue Jays
12-09-2008, 10:13 AM
What?

RPS
12-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Not to the contrary. I have a couple that are over 10 years old. In cycling that's almost "forever", or close enough. ;)

goonster
12-09-2008, 11:06 AM
does anyone have any info to the cont...?

No.

A sealed metal container should hold pressure indefinitely.

(well, at least until it is no longer sealed)

Louis
12-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Not to the contrary. I have a couple that are over 10 years old. In cycling that's almost "forever", or close enough. ;)

You can be sure that if they had been made by Shimano, Campy or SRAM there would have been 20 "improvements" of the thread size or whatever during that period. (Each of which would have made the previous design obsolete.)

Louis
12-09-2008, 01:49 PM
A sealed metal container should hold pressure indefinitely.

Don't the CO2 molecules eventually get "tired" (ha ha, I'm so clever) and slow down so they can't pump up to the same pressure as a new cartridge?

Cinci Jim
12-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Or freshness date? Enjoy before xx/xx/xx?

rePhil
12-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Slight thread drift, I have had 2 superflate inflators go leaky on me. I don't know if the rubber seals dry out or what, but I was happy I was carrying my Zefal as well.

RPS
12-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Don't the CO2 molecules eventually get "tired" (ha ha, I'm so clever) and slow down so they can't pump up to the same pressure as a new cartridge?Not tired, just cold. ;)

Viper
12-09-2008, 04:35 PM
For the first time*, I bought a CO2 pump system this past Spring. I looked at the cannister (Genuine Innovations) and wondered about their shelf life, energy is always lost, never gained. What is this joke, "A hand pump and a C02 inflator in one":

http://www.genuineinnovations.com/

* = But what I really thought about was:

[as Brody sends the air tanks flying]
Hooper: Dammit, Martin! This is compressed air!
Brody: Well, what the hell kind of a knot was that?
Hooper: You pulled the wrong one. You screw around with these tanks, and they're gonna blow up!
Quint: Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper. 'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it, might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull, right?