PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Open Pro or DT Swiss RR 1.1?

Dave
12-08-2008, 09:17 AM
I have a pair of PowerTap wheels, built with 28H DT Swiss RR1.1 rims. They worked great for 2000 miles, until my recent car/bike accident. I'll be getting them rebuilt with new rims and spokes, compliments of the car insurance company.

My only complaint with the RR1.1 rims was the difficult tire installation, with Velox rims strips. I first tried Velocity hole plugs, but the red model is too small for the nipple holes. The new yellow version would probably fit, but not many places stock it yet.

I'm also considering Open Pro rims. It's been so many years since I've owned handbuilt wheels, I don't know if the Open Pro is as good. Any opinions?

Pete Serotta
12-08-2008, 09:20 AM
OPEN PRO is a very good rim and bomb proof. I also have a pair of new DT and have not noticed hard time putting on Victoria 23 Open Corsa.

Can not go wrong with either..... PETE

Charles M
12-08-2008, 09:54 AM
I would take either one too... Though I have heard now of more than a couple folks getting blow outs using spoke hole plugs... Seems the tubes can wear after inflation and deflation on the edges of the plugs, and I noticed that I can see some visual evidence on my own wheels, so I have just plain steered clear of them.

Ken C
12-08-2008, 10:47 AM
I have a set of wheels built up with the R1.1's and another with OPs. I can't tell a difference, they are both great rims. They seem to be equal in terms of durability. The DTs are harder to mount tires on, but I switched from Velox to Rox rim strips and that helps a lot. I know some people have trouble with the Rox strips but I have been using them over a year now with no problems, you just have to install them a little more carefully. I like the looks of the DTs a little more, but you can do no wrong with either.

Ken

jeffg
12-08-2008, 10:56 AM
I have a set of wheels built up with the R1.1's and another with OPs. I can't tell a difference, they are both great rims. They seem to be equal in terms of durability. The DTs are harder to mount tires on, but I switched from Velox to Rox rim strips and that helps a lot. I know some people have trouble with the Rox strips but I have been using them over a year now with no problems, you just have to install them a little more carefully. I like the looks of the DTs a little more, but you can do no wrong with either.

Ken

+1; however, my mechanic recommends swapping rim strips at about the one year mark with the Rox ... I might try the Schwalbe rim strip and see how they work.

DTs are very similar to the Campy rims (with the exception of the Eurus, which somehow are easier than Neutrons, etc.)

totally_fixxate
12-08-2008, 11:05 AM
might consider Mavic cxp33 or Ambrosio Excellight?

SoCalSteve
12-08-2008, 11:12 AM
I've used both extensively...and, here is what I have found:

Depending on your weight...The DT RR 1.1's may be a little soft for someone over 200 lbs...If so, I recommend the DT RR 1.2's as they are fabulous rims for the "bigger" rider...

The Open Pro's are a rim that you can do no wrong with. They do everything perfect and do it that way for a long time. The ONLY fault that they may have is that they are not as "sexy" looking as the DT's...

Cannot go wrong with either choice.

Good luck!

Steve

Gothard
12-08-2008, 01:01 PM
The Open Pro's are a rim that you can do no wrong with. They do everything perfect and do it that way for a long time. The ONLY fault that they may have is that they are not as "sexy" looking as the DT's...
Steve

That is why the Open Pro might be a better choice
*Everyone* who has turned a wrench on a bike knows Mavic, and availability is better.
If I was to leave for a 1000 miles road trip, I'd want the boring rim.

tuscanyswe
12-08-2008, 01:09 PM
I think open pros ceramics are hot!

I dont find the breaking is that much better than the regular OPs so they may not be worth the xtra cash. Maybe the breaking surface lasts longer? Mine still looks like the day i got them and thats atleast 3000 miles ago.

Never had DTs so cant comment on those.

MRB
12-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Both are good in my opinion. If you are shopping for rims, you might take a look at Velocity rims, too. Velocity seem to be more readily available.

I have takes SoCal's advice and I am a little more careful with the DT 1.1's.

Open pro's are what I have on my CX bike. Actually one rim is a Mach2 CD, which I think predated the Open Pro.

bironi
12-08-2008, 04:28 PM
I think open pros ceramics are hot!

I dont find the breaking is that much better than the regular OPs so they may not be worth the xtra cash. Maybe the breaking surface lasts longer? Mine still looks like the day i got them and thats atleast 3000 miles ago.

Never had DTs so cant comment on those.

Believe me, the ceramics will outlive the regular op's by 4 times over. Take it from someone who has ridden many rain miles on both. :beer:

Dave
12-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks for all the comments. Weighing 135 and never riding in the rain, it seems like sticking with the DTs will work out. Maybe thinner rim strips.

A.L.Breguet
12-08-2008, 06:35 PM
I had a pair of the DT's, and had cracks develop at the ferrules after just a few months. I weigh 145lbs. I've spoken to several other people who have had the same problem. There was infact a thread about this very issue a while back.
I have put many many miles on OpenPros with 0 trouble.

Chief
12-08-2008, 06:44 PM
I had a pair of the DT's, and had cracks develop at the ferrules after just a few months. I weigh 145lbs. I've spoken to several other people who have had the same problem. There was infact a thread about this very issue a while back.

The double eyelets on my rear DT wheel seem to have eliminated the rim cracking for me. I'm approaching 20,000 miles on this wheel whereas I got about 7,000 miles and 8,600 miles on two earlier rear wheels with single eyelets. I have about 35,000 miles on my single-eyelet DT front wheel without any problems. The rims are slightly narrow so that a bit to the rim tape ends up on the vertical portion of the rim which makes installation of a tire a bear. I tried the plugs and replaced them with Rox tape which works well and makes installation of the tire a hands only affair. A cheaper alternative is to cut packing tape that is reinforced with fiber glass to make your own rim tape.

David Kirk
12-08-2008, 07:09 PM
I like the DT's better. It's not a day/night difference but I do like them better by a bit.

The DT's seem to build up straighter and are easier to get more even tension. But like I said the OP's don't suck.

I have a set of DT's laced 32h rear and 28h front and I treat them with no respect and they seem to be bomb-proof. Laced onto DT hubs with the light comp spokes they weight less that 1500 grams for the set which is pretty darn light for a bashing everyday wheel.

The truth of it is you can't go wrong either way. There now wasn't that helpful?

Dave

Keith A
12-08-2008, 09:05 PM
I've got a set of DT rims on DT hubs and am using Continental's Easy Rim Strips and haven't had any problems getting a tire on and off. Unfortunately, I don't have much experience on the rims themselves as I swapped out these wheels shortly after I got them on my Time VXR for a set of Dura-Ace hubs on OpenPro's.

One thing I do like about the DT's is they have the wear indicators on the braking surface...the OpenPro's don't.

http://www.nashbar.com/nashbar_photos/250/CO-ERT-700-NCL-TOP.jpg

FMS_rider
12-08-2008, 10:24 PM
I am using both Open Pros and DT Swiss R1.1s, and both have been rock solid (no truing and no cracks after >12k miles with the Open Pros and >2k with the R1.1s --both built with 32-rear, 28-front; I weigh 150 lbs. It is harder to mount the tires I current use (Michelin Pro and Conti GP4000) on the R1.1s, but the tradeoff is a decreased chance of a nasty crash from losing a tire from flatting on a high speed descent.

I cannnot change tires with bare hands on the R1.1s as I can with Open Pros; however with Zipp rim strips and a pair of the new thin TL-2 Park tire levers mounting is only a minor hassle.

With regard to appearance, I prefer the look of the R1.1s on a fancy painted Legend and the Open Pros on an unpainted Ti travel bike.

Lew

thinpin
12-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Have both. DTs are factory built RR1.1 rims on DT hubs (DT RR1450). Open Pros on record hubs. Open Pros are working wheels. Tough as nails. DTs have faultless performance but the finish on the rims is fragile and is scratched all over from roof rack, sand yadyadyada...

deanster
12-09-2008, 12:46 AM
I like the DT's better. It's not a day/night difference but I do like them better by a bit.

The DT's seem to build up straighter and are easier to get more even tension. But like I said the OP's don't suck.

I have a set of DT's laced 32h rear and 28h front and I treat them with no respect and they seem to be bomb-proof. Laced onto DT hubs with the light comp spokes they weight less that 1500 grams for the set which is pretty darn light for a bashing everyday wheel.

The truth of it is you can't go wrong either way. There now wasn't that helpful?

Dave

I concur on the better starting point with DT being a straighter rim out of the box. I have built wheels with both and both last a very long time considering my love of riding dirt roads. I have one set of OPs with over 20K and they are still going strong. I weigh 200lbs so I am not a lightweight. I will probably build most of my wheels in the future with the DTs because of their great starting point. I tend to get more uniform spoke tension. Both are terrific.

mcteague
12-09-2008, 07:23 AM
I have a pair, 28/32 DT240S and RR 1.1s, built by Joe Young and they have the single eyelet rims. I weigh 160lbs and have no problems with them. My Pro2Race tires are more difficult to get on than my old OPs but it's not a deal breaker.

Tim McTeague

soulspinner
12-09-2008, 07:49 AM

I had the same experience. Getting double eyelets in the back makes them heavier than Open Pros. I have a set of Open pros with over 15000 miles on them. I feel they ride a touch nicer than DT rims probably due to the actual wheel build, not the two mm difference in rim height. The only problem Ive ever had with the Open Pros is clicking, but my local LBS wrench solved it(dont ask me how, it was no charge so I didnt ask). Tires seem to go on slightly easier on the open pros, especially when you get a flat and its very cold outside...ymmv

Keith A
12-09-2008, 08:44 AM
...The only problem Ive ever had with the Open Pros is clicking, but my local LBS wrench solved it(dont ask me how, it was no charge so I didnt ask)...I had forgotten about this minor issue with the OpenPros. I have had a couple of rims with this problem and supposedly it is just a piece of the weld from where the seam is joined that falls off and is loose inside the rim. Not a big deal, just a minor irritant.

BTW, I checked the rim strips on my DT RR 1.1's and they are 16mm Continental's rather than 18mm ones pictured.

FMS_rider
12-09-2008, 10:35 AM

BTW, I checked the rim strips on my DT RR 1.1's and they are 16mm Continental's rather than 18mm ones pictured.

The Conti rim strips pictured in your post look very much like the Zipps I have been using with my R1.1s, also in a 16mm width. Does anyone know if they are the same (just curious)?

The Zipps are very thin (0.05 mm), weigh 9 gm each, are very easy to install and to remove (no adhesive but they stay in place). I have been buying them from Excel for $5.95 per pair. Here is a link: http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Rim+Strips+High+Performance+pair&vendorCode=ZIPP&major=1&minor=31

There is a review on the Excel site complaining about centering over the stem hole (I hold the strip in place with a pen in the hole while installing to avoid that problem), and about insufficient width, which is not a problem with the R1.1s --it only takes me a few seconds to make sure all of the holes are covered. I have used Velox and Michelin strips in the past and will never go back.

Lew

Keith A
12-09-2008, 10:50 AM
FMS_Rider -- I don't know if the Continental tape is the same as the Zipp, but I do know that Continental tape stays in place once it is installed. As I mentioned, this was already on the wheelset that came with my VXR, so I didn't put it on. But I'm guessing that there must be some adhesive on there since it doesn't budge once installed.

BTW, the Continental tape comes in several sizes (26", 650 & 700) and have two widths (16mm and 18mm) in the 700 wheel size. Nashbar has the 18mm and WiseCycleBuys has the 16mm.

rounder
12-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Has anyone ever experienced rim failure from either OPs or DTs when using campy? I was reading about wheels the other day and one of the builders recommended that Aerohead O/C (off center) be used instead of OPs because of possible wheel dish issues. I have netrons on one of my bikes and the rear rim is asymetrical to compensate for wheel dish.

thwart
12-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Has anyone ever experienced rim failure from either OPs or DTs when using campy? I was reading about wheels the other day and one of the builders recommended that Aerohead O/C (off center) be used instead of OPs because of possible wheel dish issues. Good question.

I wonder about this as well, but figure that rim stress and eventual cracking is less of an issue at 150 lbs. I suppose the same is likely about spoke failure...

A.L.Breguet
12-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Has anyone ever experienced rim failure from either OPs or DTs when using campy? I was reading about wheels the other day and one of the builders recommended that Aerohead O/C (off center) be used instead of OPs because of possible wheel dish issues. I have netrons on one of my bikes and the rear rim is asymetrical to compensate for wheel dish.
FWIW, the cracked DT 1'1 was laced to a DT 240S hub. I suppose this is moot since the double ferrules seem to have eliminated the issue.

'