PDA

View Full Version : OT: LinkedIn . . .

BumbleBeeDave
12-08-2008, 09:01 AM
I've gotten on the business networking site LinkedIn. Forum member cdub has been incredibly helpful on giving me suggestions for using it. I'm just wondering what other tips fellow users might have. Is it worth it to upgrade from a free account to "business" status? $19.95 a month . . . The "business Plus" at $50 seems excessive to me. $20 a month certainly seems reasonable, just not sure what practical good it will do me.

Also the site seems to imply there's a penalty for inviting people you don't know to join your network if they indicate they don't know you, but that's the only way I see with a free or business account to contact a lot of people through the site. If you were to get such an invite from me with a message indicating I'm spreading the word about my job hunt, would you be receptive? I want to get the word out, but also don't want to abuse the rules of the site.

I'd love to get other folks here on the forum in my network, just not sure how and looking for tips. I don't want to be a pest . . . any more than usual! :D ;)

BBD

mavic1010
12-08-2008, 09:28 AM
BBD:

I think this is a great idea. I've always wanted to network with the people on this board but well. I've opted not to upgrade my account, and so far have done well with it using the free version.

I have an idea...why don't we create a Serotta group on linkedin and then people can join and network within Linkedin. I'd be more than happy to set it up.

If you guys are interested just chime in....thanks.

Mavic1010

Hardlyrob
12-08-2008, 10:21 AM
I think a Serotta group on LinkedIn is a great idea.

LinkedIn does "penalize" you if your invitations are turned down by people because they don't know you. If that happens often enough, you will be required to enter their email address before you can send an invitation.

It is a useful tool - there is also an add in application that will put all of your linkedin contacts in MS outlook contacts.

Oh yeah - BBD, how goes the search?

Cheers!

Rob

johnnymossville
12-08-2008, 10:33 AM
I'd definitely join if you start the group. Good idea.

BumbleBeeDave
12-08-2008, 10:44 AM
I think a Serotta group on LinkedIn is a great idea.

LinkedIn does "penalize" you if your invitations are turned down by people because they don't know you. If that happens often enough, you will be required to enter their email address before you can send an invitation.

It is a useful tool - there is also an add in application that will put all of your linkedin contacts in MS outlook contacts.

Oh yeah - BBD, how goes the search?

Cheers!

Rob

Ah! I wondered about the e-mail thing. So you will be required to enter THEIR e-mail address? That makes sense. So just inviting 50 different people from companies you want to get a contact at would work--but only probably once, since if enough of those people hit the "Don't know you" button then you're in the doghouse, kind of.

That also seems to be a play to get you to upgrade to Business or higher level so you can send "Inmail." But even with the Business level at $20 per month you can only send 3 messages per month.

As for the search, I'm still applying to anything I feel qualified for and networking around town as much as possible. But it ain't the best time to be looking for a job! :crap:

BBD

mavic1010
12-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Alright...group is set...

Search....Serotta Enthusiasts.....

Hardlyrob
12-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Ah! I wondered about the e-mail thing. So you will be required to enter THEIR e-mail address? BBD

Yup - that way you prove to LinkedIn that you know them.

Good luck with the search, I'm sure something will happen for you.

Cheers!

Rob

Bobbo
12-08-2008, 12:59 PM
I joined! I'm also looking for work - anything territory sales related, especially in the healthcare field.

Bob

MattTuck
12-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Guys who are looking for jobs, what are your areas of interest/skills?

BumbleBeeDave
12-08-2008, 02:07 PM
. . . are here:

http://www.pbase.com/bumblebeedave/my_portfolio

BBD

1centaur
12-08-2008, 05:53 PM
I have often enjoyed your photos and the ones you posted were also excellent. You have a great eye for composition and light. I suppose you can't do that alone, such as by selling to the Getty Image's of the world, but I sure hope you can work that skill into the job you get, because that looks like a whole lot of talent and experience in one package.

BumbleBeeDave
12-08-2008, 06:04 PM
. . . I'm not really looking to go back to shooting full time. It's only been the last couple of years that I've started enjoying shooting again. I've found that it's true that doing something you love for your work is a pretty sure way to suck a lot of the enjoyment out of it.

BBD

chuckroast
12-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Dave, when I was going through career transition last summer and got into Linked In, my coach told me 5 "I don't know him" would get me kicked off.

I have only used the free version of it and have found it works well to connect to people I knew but had lost track of, because they were on the list of people that I knew and had connected to.

PS, I just joined the Serotta group. I somehow missed the opportunity to put my handle on there so you'll have to put up with my real name.

BumbleBeeDave
12-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Dave, when I was going through career transition last summer and got into Linked In, my coach told me 5 "I don't know him" would get me kicked off.

. . . the kind of thing I'm trying to find out. I'd like to make use of it without breaking the rules, but they're not always real clear as to what those rules are. I'm still trying to really learn my way around before possibly making any missteps.

BBD

Dekonick
12-08-2008, 08:36 PM
is this like a professional version of facebook or myspace?

EDS
12-08-2008, 09:08 PM
. . . the kind of thing I'm trying to find out. I'd like to make use of it without breaking the rules, but they're not always real clear as to what those rules are. I'm still trying to really learn my way around before possibly making any missteps.

BBD

The best way to use linkedin is to try and find people you already know, not to use it as a mass mailing type of networking medium. Link to the people you know and the people you meet. You can then view their contacts and ask for an introduction to people who may be useful for your job search or other professional/personal goals.

EDS
12-08-2008, 09:10 PM
is this like a professional version of facebook or myspace?

I have never used myspace, but it is a "professional" oriented version of facebook.

haiku
12-09-2008, 08:47 AM
i "linked-out" about a 2 years ago (joined in 2003). i dunno. never really saw any value and just got a constant stream of invitations i preferred to ignore.

imo, it's about as useful as facebook or myspace, which is "not very" in my personal experience.

Erik.Lazdins
12-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Alright...group is set...

Search....Serotta Enthusiasts.....

Thanks for setting this up - I looked for it when I first joined! Today I joined.

djg21
12-09-2008, 09:20 PM
I've gotten on the business networking site LinkedIn. Forum member cdub has been incredibly helpful on giving me suggestions for using it. I'm just wondering what other tips fellow users might have. Is it worth it to upgrade from a free account to "business" status? $19.95 a month . . . The "business Plus" at $50 seems excessive to me. $20 a month certainly seems reasonable, just not sure what practical good it will do me.

Also the site seems to imply there's a penalty for inviting people you don't know to join your network if they indicate they don't know you, but that's the only way I see with a free or business account to contact a lot of people through the site. If you were to get such an invite from me with a message indicating I'm spreading the word about my job hunt, would you be receptive? I want to get the word out, but also don't want to abuse the rules of the site.

I'd love to get other folks here on the forum in my network, just not sure how and looking for tips. I don't want to be a pest . . . any more than usual! :D ;)

BBD

Dave:

I like it. I also use Plaxo (https://www.plaxo.com). Apart from networking, it keeps outlook on my various PCs synced and keeps many of my contacts up-to-date.