PDA

View Full Version : Serotta down-under

muggins
12-07-2008, 02:33 PM
G'day from down under!

I've just acquired a colorado legend CR that has been sitting in someone's shed for some years (and it looks like maybe outside someones shed for a little while too!). I can't find much info on serottas in Australia and was wondering if someone here can help me figure out it's age and exactly what componentry it should have. The frame is lugged and the rear brake cable is routed internally through the top tube. Numbers stamped on the underside of the bottom bracket are cr561 00192. Componentry is kind of all over the place - it has a campagnolo crank, shimano 600 brakes and sti shifters, and a 105 rear derailleur, with a tiagra front! I'm guessing the last 2 aren't original!

Overall it's a bit rough, but the plan is to restore it, and maybe make it my regular ride. Any assistance with what it should actually look like would be greatly appreciated! :)

Louis
12-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

I have no useful information to provide about the bike, but do know that we have several regular posters from down your way...

Far Rider
12-07-2008, 02:57 PM
G'day from down under!

I've just acquired a colorado legend CR that has been sitting in someone's shed for some years (and it looks like maybe outside someones shed for a little while too!). I can't find much info on serottas in Australia and was wondering if someone here can help me figure out it's age and exactly what componentry it should have. The frame is lugged and the rear brake cable is routed internally through the top tube. Numbers stamped on the underside of the bottom bracket are cr561 00192. Componentry is kind of all over the place - it has a campagnolo crank, shimano 600 brakes and sti shifters, and a 105 rear derailleur, with a tiagra front! I'm guessing the last 2 aren't original!

Overall it's a bit rough, but the plan is to restore it, and maybe make it my regular ride. Any assistance with what it should actually look like would be greatly appreciated! :)
I think that if you examined the serial number very closely, it would read CR56L-00192, which denoted that this bike has Serotta's "Extended Road Geometry" and the 192nd one made of that model.

If so, the dimension of the bike would be:
Seat tube (c-t-c) 56CM
Top tube 56CM
Head tube angle 73.5*
Seat tube angle 73*
Chainstay 41.5CM
Fork rake 43
BB drop 7CM

Your Serotta is probably a Colorado or Colorado II, which date from the late 80s to the early 90s. Are there any decals on the top tube with a a model name? Do the Serotta decals have sort of a "chevron" design as part of the decal or do they simply have the Serotta name? If it has the chevrons as part of the decal it will most likely be from the 80s and if no chevrons, from the early 90s.

Serotta generally supplied the frame and forks to dealers and customers, who the built them with their choice of componentry. So anything of the era, whether Campy, Shimano or something else, would be correct. The internal brake cable routing was Serottas signature for their top of the line models.

Can you post a pic of your bike? It would help. Also an e-mail to Serotta: info@serotta.com may get you more detailed information, though a lot of info regarding the earlier years has been lost.

muggins
12-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Thanks far rider! You are probably right on the serial number, will have to check. decal on the top tube says "colorado legend CR", no chevrons on the serotta stickers, so I figure it's '90's. Will have to get the tape measure out and see if you are right on all the measurements! ;-)

Pete Serotta
12-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Welcome to the forum. I have a CR and it is a wonderful ride. the "L" that was mentioned, means a longer by 1cm top tube. IT was made of COLUMBUS tubing and was probably made around 1992 (that is when I got mine).

You might want to treat it with some Pete Weigle Frame saver on the inside of tubes because of age.

There is a SEROTTA importer in Australia.

My has the original 8 speed but 9 speed had also just come out at that time here in the US. Kelly Bedford, David Kirk, and Ben Serotta were builders at that time. (all three are still around and DAVE is a active poster and a welcome source of knowledge to the forum.

PETE

fierte58
12-08-2008, 05:23 AM
Hello Muggins- where in Australia are you?

I am in Adelaide and have a 2003 Fierte ti (bought from the Australian distributor), a 2003 Hors categorie ti (bought secondhand through the Forum), and I have also been instrumental in my partner purchasing a 2006 or so Nove ti/cf (through the Serotta Garage, and the Australian distributor).

I have only ever seen one other Serotta in Adelaide, another Nove, but saw several at this year's Alpine Classic, and they were both ti frames as well.

I think an older steel Serotta in Australia is a very rare thing indeed.

The Australian distributor is in Ocean Grove Victoria, just at the beginning of the Great Ocean Road, and the guy to speak to is Steve Draper from Oceanride, part of Hendry Cycles. Steve has always beeen very helpful, but I don't think he was importing frames when your frame was probably made, but it may be worth a call to him anyway.

Otherwise I suspect that your frame was brought in privately. Good luck in your searches, and if you are ever in Adelaide, perhaps for the Tour Down Under, let me know.

Fierte 58, aka Hybridbellbasket.

muggins
12-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the help everyone, very informative and some good leads for more info!

Fierte58, I'm in Brisbane, some friends are headed your way for the tour downunder, but not me this year. I'm just getting in to road riding, after a lot of years on mountain bikes. So far so good, and I figure the serotta will be a nice project to keep me interested. I'll eventually get some pics and post them here if I can figure it out.

cheers
muggins