PDA

View Full Version : Sort of OT-Classifieds

mike p
12-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Classifieds Etiquette

1. Info--Seller should try to include as much info in add as possible. Size,year,cond.,pic's.,price. I've seen adds with none of the above. PITA to pm back and forth and by the time you find out the info which should have been put in the add to begin with it's sold!

2. Don't post add the day your leaving on vacation to an island with no internet. access!

3. Clean out mailbox or pm box before posting add!

4. Try to awnser pm's, e-mails, or posts promptly. Don't wait 3 days till you have 20 people respond and then pick who you want to sell it to.

5. Don't post adds with a link to e-bay. Give us a shot first then e-bay.

I must say the serrota add board is one of the best I've been on. I've bought many things and never had a bad experience, the people here are great!! These are just some pet peeves of my own. I'm sure you've got plenty more, feel free to add on and make the classifieds even better!

Mike

Smiley
12-07-2008, 10:37 AM
I agree, with the ads listing to e-bay. I'd rather sell here to people that know me and I know them. When I sold my Hors I was playing fair and responded to the first guy that expressed interest even though he had NO posts on this board, yet he was smart enough to have Terminaut vouch for him via pm and thats what made me go with him as a buyer.
Thanks for posting these valid remarks.

jlwdm
12-07-2008, 10:54 AM
I kill time once in awhile on my Blackberry and it is nice to have the frame size in the title so I do not waste time opening up a post that won't work for me.

Also, it is important to see how the seat tube is measured and if a sloping top tube, what the virtual measurements are.

Jeff

93legendti
12-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Please do not post and criticize the price. If you must, PM/email the seller.

PoppaWheelie
12-07-2008, 11:52 AM

Personally, I would vote to not criticize the sale PERIOD, unless there is something blatantly fishy that would harm a buyer. Send it to the seller in a PM or start a parallel thread somewhere else.

93legendti
12-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Personally, I would vote to not criticize the sale PERIOD, unless there is something blatantly fishy that would harm a buyer. Send it to the seller in a PM or start a parallel thread somewhere else.
I'll second that.

csm
12-07-2008, 12:07 PM
I'll third that.

mike p
12-07-2008, 01:30 PM
All good points. Also if you ride a 58 and someones selling a 48 don't e-mail for pic's just because you want to see it! Whoops am I the only one thats done that!

Mike

Far Rider
12-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Classifieds Etiquette

...<snip>
4. Try to awnser pm's, e-mails, or posts promptly. Don't wait 3 days till you have 20 people respond and then pick who you want to sell it to.
....<snip>

Mike
I agree with all except number 4. You imply the seller should sell to the first responder who commits to the buy. I say, that as a seller I should be able to sell to whom I wish. In the past I've advertised an item for sale, had many responses and chose to sell it to someone that I was familiar with from the forum who wasn't the first to respond. Unless you say something to the effect that the first guy gets it, selling something is not necessarily a democracy.

mike p
12-07-2008, 03:33 PM
I agree with all except number 4. You imply the seller should sell to the first responder who commits to the buy. I say, that as a seller I should be able to sell to whom I wish. In the past I've advertised an item for sale, had many responses and chose to sell it to someone that I was familiar with from the forum who wasn't the first to respond. Unless you say something to the effect that the first guy gets it, selling something is not necessarily a democracy.

I'm not sure what to make of that. I always assumed people sold to the first person to pony up. Your right though you can sell to who ever you like and why shouldn't you sell to someone you know over someone who you've never heard of. Good point, i'll have to give that some thought.

Mike

ndoshi72c
12-07-2008, 05:24 PM
While we're at it, can we abolish "feelers"? Either you're in or you're out.

zmudshark
12-07-2008, 05:43 PM
And pictures, or at least a link to pictures.

SoCalSteve
12-07-2008, 05:46 PM

I usually just end up selling to the first person who sends me $$$ via Paypal...That leaves everyone who is NOT so serious out of the picture...make sense?

The ONLY caveat to this is if a long time user-poster-Forumite wants to send me a check...I have no probem with that.

Cash is king!

Just sayin'

Steve

Ti Designs
12-07-2008, 06:44 PM
RTFP (Read The F***ing Post).

gemship
12-07-2008, 07:21 PM
a few motorcycle forums I used to visit required a price or the post would be deleted. That seems fair.

rnhood
12-07-2008, 07:45 PM
I like the Weight Weenie classified policy, which is no follow posts allowed. You contact the seller with interest, questions, offers, etc.

And yes, above all no links to ebay, chainlove, etc. This is cycling forum, not a flea market forum.

Far Rider
12-07-2008, 09:00 PM
I usually just end up selling to the first person who sends me $$$ via Paypal...That leaves everyone who is NOT so serious out of the picture...make sense?

The ONLY caveat to this is if a long time user-poster-Forumite wants to send me a check...I have no probem with that.

Cash is king!

Just sayin'

Steve
Steve, let me give you a real situation. I post an FS ad and 9 folks respond. You're the 3rd one to contact me, but because I "know" you and/or have done business with you in the past, I choose to sell you my item. I would much rather do business with you because of our past dealings or contact rather than someone who lurks or doesn't interact with me. I think it's simple.

Dekonick
12-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Unless it really offends, when I find a good deal I try to pass it along - ie - chainlove, craigslist, etc. When something appeals to fellow forumites (from past knowledge - lets say an older Serotta comes up for sale) I don't see anything wrong with giving a pointer to the folks here.

I know many who have benefited from this - myslef included.

CPP
12-08-2008, 04:43 AM
I very often get requests for more photos or for more info on something. I think that out of common courtesy, the asker could at least respond with a
"thanks I'll think about it" or "thanks, but I'll pass" or at least something!!
I hate it when after responding to a question, I get 0. A simple "thanks" would do.

Oh yeah, what about when someone posts a "IF it were my size......." :crap:

However, I have only had positive transactions from this forum! The people here that I have dealt with (quite a few) have been honest, and very trusting. It's a great place to buy and sell.

I suggest that this thread becomes a sticky in the Classified section!!

alancw3
12-08-2008, 07:38 AM

probably a good idea. i know that i have commented on prices in the past, not to criticize, but to try to help give guidance on trends in the marketplace etc. to help sellers make a sale and hoping for additional input from other forumites. but i agree that a pm seems more appropiate or no comment at all.