PDA

View Full Version : Carbon bars and two screw stem?

paczki
12-07-2008, 10:11 AM
I have a set of Reynolds carbon bars and a Bontrager stem which I want to use on a bike build. The faceplate of the stem attaches with two screws (as opposed to four). I have some sort of vague memory that you shouldn't use this kind of stem with carbon bars. Am I right in this, or is it an old cyclists tale?

NateM
12-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Easton used to say to use only 2 bolt faceplate's (Easton stem) on their bars.I would just tighten a 4 bolt in a cross pattern using a torque wrench.

Peter P.
12-07-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm gonna step out on the wing and say that's why Ritchey went to 4-bolt faceplates. Should 1, or even 2 of the bolt holes on the faceplate crack and fail, you'll know it but the stem will still hold the bars. On a two-bolt faceplate, when one bolt hole fails, the other is TOO soon to follow.

tuscanyswe
12-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Well that goes for all bars, carbon or not.

know i had a carbon bar that should only be used with 2 bolt stem per the manufacturer. Think the idea was 2 bolts applied more even pressure and dident potentially crack the bar.

Bruce K
12-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Packzi;

The real issue is split clamps similar to the old Ritchey's.

It is my understanding that any clamp with a wide, one peice face plate will work fine on carbon bars but that 4 bolt plates like the Ritchey 4-axis are best.

BK

paczki
12-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Thank you all -- I guess I got it backwards!