PDA

View Full Version : Ot Ms Sp3

Chief
12-06-2008, 06:42 PM
I am looking for advice from the IT people out there. I have kept my MS XP Pro OS up to date. Is there any downside to installing SP3? Is there any upside to installing SP3?

Thanks for info in advance.

pale scotsman
12-06-2008, 07:57 PM
None, unless you run more than 2 monitors. I guinea pigged myself months back and then rolled it out company wide minus the high end viewing stations.

Works fine and seems real stable. We don't run auto updates so it's good to be able to run 'em all at one time.

pdbrye
12-07-2008, 01:40 PM
I tried to download it to my wife's laptop. It took over an hour and a quarter to download then after the download was completed it gave me some kind of error message that the download failed. Now the computer operates at a crawl and I'm not sure how to uninstall or correct it.

I'd be cautious and any suggestions how to correct this mess would be appreciated.

pale scotsman
12-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Restore the laptop to a point before the service pack install. Start /programs /accessories /system tools /system restore.

This will take you back to where you were before the upgrade. FYI I always download the service pack and then install. Much less margin for error.

Pete Serotta
12-07-2008, 03:13 PM
I saw no reason to go to SP 3. In fact I hear some of the CANON camcorder software does not run with SP3 but that is something I was told and not something I know.

pdbrye
12-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Good advice...thanks.

Restore the laptop to a point before the service pack install. Start /programs /accessories /system tools /system restore.

This will take you back to where you were before the upgrade. FYI I always download the service pack and then install. Much less margin for error.