PDA

View Full Version : OT: Question for MS Office Users

BumbleBeeDave
12-05-2008, 03:29 PM
It's become obvious in my job search that I need to get myself trained on MS Office to be seriously considered for many jobs that otherwise I'm totally qualified for. We just never used it for anything at the paper, so I never had a need for it.

But the newest version won't run on my 467Mhz G4 PowerPC Mac, according to Microsoft's listed system requirements for the program. As I'm understanding it now, if I want to get the latest version of MS Office, I'd have to also buy a new computer to run it on. Obviously, I'd rather not do that!

I can easily get MS Office 2004 from several different vendors pretty cheaply and it would work easily on my machine. My big question . . . What are the differences between the 2004 and newer versions? Does Microsoft still pull those tricks where the slightly older version won't even open files from the newer version? Has there been any major redesign in the total user interface in the past few years?

If I'm just trying to build proficiency will the '04 version work OK?

Many thanks for any advice!

BBD

SadieKate
12-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Um do you mean Office 2003?

I know I work for a huge corporation and we are still on 2003. There is cross-application functionality that comes with 2007 (like Sharepoint working with Excel and Word 2007), but unless you need very specific applicaiton skills 2003 will probably give you good basic MS Office skills. I've never run into problems opening files created in older versions.

sc53
12-05-2008, 03:40 PM
I have Office for Mac 2003 and use the Windows version at work; you don't need the latest and greatest to learn how to use Office. Find the 2003 version and give it a try. The programs work the same way throughout the expensive iterations that MS puts out.

rounder
12-05-2008, 03:42 PM
As a contractor, I have worked at a lot of federal and local agencies. I also worked at several corporations. The standard is Microsoft. Every place I have been used MS windows and Office, mainly Excel and Word, except back in the old days when Lotus 1-2-3 and WordPerfect were the standards. I have never seen Apple anything used anywhere (except Ipod).

BBD, while it is possible to teach yourself, I think you would be doing yourself a favor if you were sign up for some classes in Windows and MS Office, maybe at the local community college or other place where the courses are cheap. If you already know the Apple version, it would be easy to learn the MS version. Good luck.

Pete Serotta
12-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Dave you are running on a APPLE (right) and using APPLE Operating SYSTE and not XP or VISTA (RIGHT). Ask the APPLE store if you need a new system. I am still running the older OFFICE and have not updated - for none of the functions in newer release are a requirement for me. WHy do you want to update? Give me a call if you would like to discuss. PETE

SadieKate
12-05-2008, 04:17 PM
I have never seen Apple anything used anywhere (except Ipod).Is that still true for the graphics and publishing industries? I was under the impression that Mac was the preference for graphic designers, et al.

Karin Kirk
12-05-2008, 04:34 PM
BBD, I'd go ahead with the 2003 version. If you know those programs, then the new versions will make sense just the same. I just got office 07 and I'm finding it takes me a moment to find the button I'm used to having in the old version, but the functionality seems to be largely the same.

The new versions do save themselves as a file type that's incompatible with old office. However that can be overridden. There is also a free download that allows old office to open new office files. New office files have an x at the end of the file suffix, .docx, .pptx, etc.

Our institution just did a campus-wide switch to Office 07. So far so good.

sg8357
12-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Is that still true for the graphics and publishing industries? I was under the impression that Mac was the preference for graphic designers, et al.

Advertising, Graphic Design, Printers, Schools still use lots of Macs.
Multiple Screens, Color calibration, way too many fonts, are things
Mac have done well since about 1987. Windows didn't get close till XP.

chakatrain
12-05-2008, 04:54 PM
BBD: i'm using the Mac MS Office 2004 version on my '07 mac powerbook pro in my job as a Biotech Project Manager where I deal with scores of .doc and .xls files all day, sending my Mac versions to PC users. No issues at all with not using the new bells & whistles of Mac MS Office 2008 and I don't think I'm missing much. I think using the Mac Office 2004 software suite will be just fine, assuming that too can run on your older mac.

jimp1234
12-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Microsoft has some "e-learning" classes on office, that are ok. This is probably the way to go if you're looking for a job that includes working in excel developing large and involved spreadsheets using macros, vbscript, etc. However, if all you need is an overall working knowledge of Office you can probably do as well just playing with the software and buying a book from Borders. Also if you're attending a class at a local college (or know someone who is) there is a student version of Office available at a lower cost.

http://learning.microsoft.com/Manager/Catalog.aspx?clang=en-US&dtype=Table&Sort=TitleAscending&page=1&cats=%7b3a4e9862-cdce-4bdc-8664-91038e3eb1e9%7d

SoCalSteve
12-05-2008, 05:28 PM
It's become obvious in my job search that I need to get myself trained on MS Office to be seriously considered for many jobs that otherwise I'm totally qualified for. We just never used it for anything at the paper, so I never had a need for it.

But the newest version won't run on my 467Mhz G4 PowerPC Mac, according to Microsoft's listed system requirements for the program. As I'm understanding it now, if I want to get the latest version of MS Office, I'd have to also buy a new computer to run it on. Obviously, I'd rather not do that!

I can easily get MS Office 2004 from several different vendors pretty cheaply and it would work easily on my machine. My big question . . . What are the differences between the 2004 and newer versions? Does Microsoft still pull those tricks where the slightly older version won't even open files from the newer version? Has there been any major redesign in the total user interface in the past few years?
If I'm just trying to build proficiency will the '04 version work OK?

Many thanks for any advice!

BBD

I can only speak about Windows.

Yes, MS Office 2007 has a very different interface than MS Office 2003 and to answer your other question: Yes, a file that was created in MS Office 2007 WILL NOT open in MS Office 2003...But, there is a caveat to this...You can do a "Save As" and save the file to an older file version and it will open just fine.

Good luck and welcome to the ever changing world of technology!

Steve

SadieKate
12-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Anyone ever try a video from Video Professor?

https://www.videoprofessor.com/

BumbleBeeDave
12-05-2008, 09:12 PM
It seems like in the interest of getting up and running quickly and being able to honestly say on a resume I know how to use MS Office, it's best to go ahead and get the Mac 2004 edition. Here's where I see the "student and teacher" edition for only $149.95.

http://www.softwaresurplus.com/Guaranteed/Low.Prices?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=5118&Category_Code=Microsoft_Office_2004&Product_Count=1#tt

I guess the question now is what's the difference between the "student," "standard," and "professional" editions. The standard and professional each go for $375-400.

I found some reviews at . . .

http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/office-suites/m/2723523/st=product_page/sv=review/

This quote from one of them makes me wonder . . .

<<This is a reduced-price way to get Office on your Mac without paying through the nose for the standard version, if you are eligible: this version is legally licensable by teachers and students only; hence the name, and the price. It is identical to the Standard version in other aspects.>>

Does this mean if I bought this version I couldn't use it on my home machine since I'm not a teacher or student? The Software Surplus place linked above doesn't say anything about having to provide any proof of academic status when purchasing. I'm not familiar with Microsoft's licensing scheme . . .

BBD

Louis
12-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Dave,

Specifically what parts of Office do you think one would need for your type of job?

If it's basic use of Word and Excel, then I think nearly any version of Office is good enough for you to get up to speed and legitimately claim familiarity.

If we're talking very fancy stuff then maybe any older version might not be enough.

I say you get the cheapest thing out there, play around with it for a few hours, find some good examples of semi-complex applications of the software, play around with those for a few hours and declare yourself good to go.

Louis

happycampyer
12-05-2008, 09:54 PM
MS Word is a necessary evil in the workplace, IMO. I run Office '03 on my Mac at home, and I find that the Mac version of Word doesn't try to interfere with you as much as the PC version (does anyone want to view documents in Reading Layout?). If you are used to desktop publishing software, you will pick up Word no problem. Do not attribute frustration with the application to your inexperience. MS Word is the software equivalent of bamboo shoots under the fingernails--it doesn't get any better over time.

Excel on the other hand is an amazingly powerful application. Depending upon what you do with it, you will probably only end up needing to know a fraction of its capabilities. IMO, the PC versions of Excel run circles around the Mac versions that I have used, but the Mac version is good enough to understand the basic functions (a right-click mouse is very handy for PC version of Excel). A good tutorial is worthwhile (perhaps from a friend who is a power user?), because its features/shortcuts aren't as intuitive.

You'll be fine!

+1,000 on what Louis said.

BumbleBeeDave
12-05-2008, 10:01 PM
You'll be fine!

. . . I know. I just want to make sure I don't get tripped up by any tricks. For instance, buying the academic version to save the $$ (which is important right now) and having to supply some sort of academic proof to MS before obtaining a product key, or some cute stuff like that. Yeah, I know I'm bit paranoid, but I've just heard some nightmare stories about MS and their licensing.

It's sounding like the academic version will give me what I need. I just need to be able to honestly say I have some familiarity. I don't expect to become a power use in a few weeks. but for the types of production editing, content editing, management, or PR jobs I'm hoping to land it seems to be mandatory to have working knowledge of word, Excel, and Powerpoint.

I'm grateful for all the feedback I can get!

BBD

happycampyer
12-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Not sure about the versions, but definitely get the cheapest, single-use version you can. Maybe check with an Apple Store.

And BTW, if you are used to apps like Quark XPress or Adobe InDesign, you are in for a shock with PowerPoint. It's a worse POS than Word, that's all I'll say. I've never used Apple's Keynote, but I've heard good things about it (not that that helps, since no office I know of uses it).

mandasol
12-05-2008, 10:21 PM
This is the link to download the microsoft office 2007 compatibility pack:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en

It lets you open Office 2007 files with the extra "x" in the file name. You're better off getting Office 2003 for windows or 2004 for Mac, and installing the compatibility pack on the rare occasion you may need it.

No need for 2007 if it's just for work. Most companies haven't made the upgrade because it costs too much and takes too much time to upgrade all the computers in a company and there are too many headaches regarding compatibility, so you will rarely see 2007.

Most work computers have admin functions turned off so you can't even install the compatibility pack, so if you work from home with office 2007 and forget to save your work in 2003 you're screwed when you go to work and try to open the file. Then the IT guy at work will refuse to give admin rights on your computer so you can install the compatibility pack and will lecture you for 20 minutes (I timed it) on why you shouldn't use 2007 and windows vistas.

If you do have to use office 2007 it's a bit different than 2003. When I first used it I got confused and had trouble finding menu commands that I was familiar with because it is more of a graphical interface than drop down menus. Though now that I'm used to it, I think it's more intuitive than office 2003, and now I get confused when I have to use a computer with office 2003. Occasionally I'll inevitably email a document to someone that can't open it and tell me they can't install the compatibility pack, so I have to resave it in office 98-03 format and resend it.

Also, as long as you're not afraid of a computer and know how to move a mouse around and type there is not really anything that you wouldn't be able to pick up on the job. There was one guy we hired at our company with the understanding that he was proficient in excel, word, power point, one notes, etc only to find out he didn't know squat. At that point it's too much of a hassle to go through the hiring process all over again and it was sink or swim time. He picked it up eventually and now has been with the company almost three years. It's funny, a new girl was hired a couple days ago and now that he's training her he commented how she doesn't know anything.

You would probably be better served to focus on getting the job first, then figuring out what they use, and then learning as you go. Otherwise you could spend weeks or several months trying to learn all the different components of Office.

BumbleBeeDave
12-06-2008, 06:42 AM
You would probably be better served to focus on getting the job first, then figuring out what they use, and then learning as you go. Otherwise you could spend weeks or several months trying to learn all the different components of Office.

. . . go ahead and spend a few weeks learning the basics, even as I continue searching. If the job description requests or requires the software skills I want to be able to honestly say I have them.

BBD

SpeedyChix
12-06-2008, 06:53 AM
This is the link to download the microsoft office 2007 compatibility pack:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en

It lets you open Office 2007 files with the extra "x" in the file name. You're better off getting Office 2003 for windows or 2004 for Mac, and installing the compatibility pack on the rare occasion you may need it.

If you do have to use office 2007 it's a bit different than 2003. When I first used it I got confused and had trouble finding menu commands that I was familiar with because it is more of a graphical interface than drop down menus. Though now that I'm used to it, I think it's more intuitive than office 2003, and now I get confused when I have to use a computer with office 2003. Occasionally I'll inevitably email a document to someone that can't open it and tell me they can't install the compatibility pack, so I have to resave it in office 98-03 format and resend it.

This is one of the few issues you'd run into by going w/ 2004 vs 2008. The docx extension versus doc, etc. Since you're looking to just learn the stuff at home it won't be any issue at all. Only something to deal with IF you are working with docs sent to you or things you take home to work on. Moving forward as more PC users move to 2007 you'll start to encounter it more.

We have a mix in our office (communications) and have Mac 04, 08 and PC 03 and 07. I'd say 07 and now mac08 tend to look more the same. The biggest diff on pc 2007 is that most menu items are now visible in graphical toolbars and then the MS icon in the circle in the upper left of it all takes you to the common stuff. Sort of an if you can't find it where you'd expect the most used things like save, print, etc it can now be accessed through that 'circle'

giordana93
12-06-2008, 12:03 PM
for what it's worth, my university felt that there was enough difference between Office 2007 and Office 2003 to have training sessions on the new version (Windows). happily it is a bit closer to a mac-like interface.
I think it might be cheaper to sign up for a class on the new version; you wouldn't own the software, but you would be familiar with the latest version, rather than buying the last generation, which is not the same, or spending the big bux to get a new system and latest version.
an alternative would be to buy a stripped down windows pc and the windows version of Office, that way you could be familiar with Vista too, because if you don't know Vista, that could be a greater handicap than not knowing Office, I would think. but what do I know? does this make sense?

BumbleBeeDave
12-06-2008, 12:53 PM
. . . so I'm reasonably familiar with that.

BBD

MMM
12-06-2008, 06:45 PM
My school district made the switch to 07 this year. As a part of their license, we are able to install 07 on our personal computers at home. So, if you work for a company that has the 07, they might have made the same arrangements with Microsoft.

I've been using '07 at work and the biggest problem I've found has been finding all of the correct buttons and menus for what I need to do. I save all of my documents in compatability mode and I've been able to open them here at home. At some point I'll get the installation CD from school, I just have other priorities right now.

Jawn P
12-06-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm not an Office power user by any means, but I work at an Apple store. IMO, Office 2008 is junk, you're fine with 2004. They changed the interface on 2008 to make it look like Apple Pages and didn't really improve too many functional aspects.

Here are the system requirements for Office 2004 Standard:

• Processor: G3, Mac OS X-compatible processor or higher
• Operating System: Mac OS X version 10.2.8 or later
• Memory: 256 MB of RAM
• Hard Disk1: 450 MB for a recommended install, 630 MB for a full drag-and-drop install
• Drives: CD-ROM drive (or connection to a local area network if installing over a network)
• Display: 1024 x 768 or higher-resolution monitor displaying thousands of colors
• Input Devices: Mouse or compatible pointing device

So you should be fine running that.

pale scotsman
12-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Download open office, openoffice.org , and spend sometime in their version of word and excel. It's a free open source version of MS products. Worse comes to worse PM me for a little karma.

IBM is coming out with Lotus Symphony which will be an open souce productivity suite as well.

If you know spreadsheets and word/ wordperfect stuff then the principals are all the same. No voodoo there.

We run office xp pro, office 2003 pro, wordperfect... the whole gamut. I think I even have some older cbt's, computer based training, that I can help you out with.

All you need is the basics to get in the door. The macros, and advanced editing stuff is gravy, There's always a help option at the top, or a co-worker with a little expertise.

BBD all you need to know is enough to be dangerous. Don't sweat it.

Btw - The student/acedemic stuff requires proof. Software companies have really cracked down on this from retailers. You might find a student version on ebay. Make sure it's new and the key has not been used.