PDA

View Full Version : OT: Pandora Radio options

William
12-05-2008, 08:02 AM
I’ve been hooked on Pandora Internet Radio for a while now and have noticed some options for running it through your home stereo. I’m curious if any of you Pandora listeners have tried any of the options (or know of others) they have listed?

Samsung Blu-Ray
Chumby
Logitech Squeeze Box Duet
Logitech Squeeze Box Boom
Sonos Multi-Room Music System
Grace Digital ITC-IR1000B

Thanks,
William

12-05-2008, 09:55 AM
I’ve been hooked on Pandora Internet Radio for a while now and have noticed some options for running it through your home stereo. I’m curious if any of you Pandora listeners have tried any of the options (or know of others) they have listed?

Samsung Blu-Ray
Chumby
Logitech Squeeze Box Duet
Logitech Squeeze Box Boom
Sonos Multi-Room Music System
Grace Digital ITC-IR1000B

Thanks,
William

I have a cord from staples I imagine you can get it any place it is rca on one end and a headphone plug on the other I run it to my laptop and plug it into the head phone out and to the Aux in Rca on my receiver VIOLA pandora via home speakers.
total investment $7.00 run up though a cabinet and laptop sits on the cabinet.

SadieKate
12-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Three Squeezeboxi of the Duet type. Love 'em.

The controller can be persnickety about the WiFi signal but not significantly. With SqueezeNet you can run Pandora directly from the internet without needing to turn on a computer and then use the far better sound card in the SB. It's very good quality (depending on your stereo, of course).

If you're an audiophile and want even better sound, invest in an external DAC but I think you'll be surprised by the quality DAC in the SqueezeBox.

BTW, multiple Squeezeboxen can be sync'd to achieve whole house sound.

Pandora. :banana:

OMG, I just used a banana for the first time.

William
12-17-2008, 07:07 AM
I have a cord from staples I imagine you can get it any place it is rca on one end and a headphone plug on the other I run it to my laptop and plug it into the head phone out and to the Aux in Rca on my receiver VIOLA pandora via home speakers.
total investment $7.00 run up though a cabinet and laptop sits on the cabinet.

That's an easy solution. We will be getting a MacBook soon and want to go wireless around the house. Plugging into the stereo is certainly easy.

Three Squeezeboxi of the Duet type. Love 'em.

The controller can be persnickety about the WiFi signal but not significantly. With SqueezeNet you can run Pandora directly from the internet without needing to turn on a computer and then use the far better sound card in the SB. It's very good quality (depending on your stereo, of course).

If you're an audiophile and want even better sound, invest in an external DAC but I think you'll be surprised by the quality DAC in the SqueezeBox.

BTW, multiple Squeezeboxen can be sync'd to achieve whole house sound.

Pandora. :banana:

OMG, I just used a banana for the first time.

I have been checking these out as well. Good to know I have options, thanks! :)

Btw, is it Squeezeboxes or Squeezeboxen? :confused: ;) Congrats on the first banana. :banana:

William

paczki
12-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Squeezeboxes are great. I have two of them and a Transporter. Best bang for the buck in any audio product I know.

sc53
12-17-2008, 08:56 AM
YES to the Squeezeboxen! I have 3 plus a Boom in the kitchen, that migrates downstairs when I ride the trainer. Been listening to Bob Dylan Theme Time radio hour as I pedal, thanks to the Boom.

lavi
12-17-2008, 08:14 PM
The easiest thing I've ever done. Just plug the iphone in and off you go. The Pandora website is optimized for iPhone (very smart).

maunahaole
12-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Just got the Samsung bluray (bdp2500 from bestbuy). The pandora audio quality is good, but not CD quality. I have it hooked through my stereo receiver. It is easy to add/delete stations using the remote, but easier on the PC. Once playing, the streamis pretty solid - No skips or hiccups. Also, the netflix streaming function is nice - image quality is a step down, but it is OK.

Jawn P
12-18-2008, 02:20 AM
May be something somewhat different than you're looking for, but with an iPod Touch, you can download the Pandora application and use it from there in conjunction with your home's Wifi connection. Plug it in via a 1/8 mini to rca adapter and you've got yourself a dedicated Pandora player.

Ah, I must have skipped the wireless around the house requirement. You can use an Apple Airport Express (http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/) in conjunction with your Front Row Remote and a program called Airfoil (http://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/).

giordana93
12-18-2008, 08:01 AM
I have Sonos system in the house, after my sister/brother in law turned me on to it. It's overkill for just streaming Pandora, but for the other stuff that it does is pretty amazing. Highly recommended. (and I'm normally a cheapskate, but this was worth it.)

William
12-18-2008, 08:03 AM
Last night we were listening to Pandora while getting dinner ready and “Drive” by the Cars popped up on my Quick mix station. My son really dug it and asked to create his own “The Cars” station. I have to say that the line-up of 80’s music that came up was a great mix and a throw back for me and Mrs. William. It’s funny that I find that song/groups I wouldn’t have been caught dead listening to then have me toe tapping and singing along now. :banana:

If you like the varied groups and songs out of that era then you’ll find this a fun mix station.

Hey, I can admit it. :)

William

giordana93
12-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Last night we were listening to Pandora while getting dinner ready and “Drive” by the Cars popped up on my Quick mix station. My son really dug it and asked to create his own “The Cars” station. I have to say that the line-up of 80’s music that came up was a great mix and a throw back for me and Mrs. William. It’s funny that I find that song/groups I wouldn’t have been caught dead listening to then have me toe tapping and singing along now. :banana:

If you like the varied groups and songs out of that era then you’ll find this a fun mix station.

Hey, I can admit it. :)

William

agreed. what I find so funny is how some of the supposedly "punk" stuff of the 80s (like the Clash) is now played as background music à la muzak or in totally yuppy ads, what's up with that??

39cross
12-18-2008, 12:13 PM
agreed. what I find so funny is how some of the supposedly "punk" stuff of the 80s (like the Clash) is now played as background music à la muzak or in totally yuppy ads, what's up with that??There were riots when Stravinsky debuted The Rite of Spring. Now who cares? Whats new becomes old, just give it time.
But I still love Johnny Rotten.

giordana93
12-18-2008, 01:00 PM
But I still love Johnny Rotten.
he's crossed over too:
http://seriouslyomg.com/?p=9307

billrick
12-19-2008, 06:16 AM
I just downloaded the Pandora App for my Ipod Touch . . . WOW WOW WOW. I like this stuff! So far I have a Shins and Son Volt Radio. And it plugs straight into my Ipod dock on the home stereo. How long does it take for the stations to start learning your preferences?

Once again, the forum has given me a new obsession.

:)

giordana93
12-19-2008, 08:07 AM
you have to teach it: if you like a song, give it a thumbs up; thumbs down if not.