PDA

View Full Version : Greedy TimBad

TimB
11-18-2004, 07:25 AM
So...

I went out after work last night for my first-of-the-year ride with my lights. It was warmer than normal, and I got a slightly earlier start due to unexpectedly light traffic, so I figured I'd be able to get in a few extra miles.

I failed to consider the thickening cloud cover. It got dark earlier than I expected, and I had to turn on my lights.

I failed to remember a back-up headlight. I have a Cateye LED that shines enough to see where you're going.

I failed to remember my Performance battery has a run-time of only about an hour. (It's the old, water-bottle-sized heavy-as-lead but not lead? battery.)

The end result - I rode the last few miles in ever-increasing darkness. Toward the end, I was hoping for cars to come from behind - my light was barely throwing enough to allow me to see the edge of the pavement. I was getting more light from my blinking tail lights to help see where I was going than I was from my headlight. It's a very interesting feeling to be riding on roads I've been on literally hundreds of times and feeling I had no clue where I was going. And the last climb up Research Rd back into Greenbelt - I barely noticed it at all, as my primary concern was to not fall off the edge of the pavement.

Next ride: stick with the planned route - I know how long I can run the lights, when sunset is, etc. Bring that backup light!

RABikes2
11-18-2004, 07:30 AM
Glad you got home safe, Tim. :)

BumbleBeeDave
11-18-2004, 07:49 AM
<<It's a very interesting feeling to be riding on roads I've been on literally hundreds of times and feeling I had no clue where I was going.>>

You should have talked to Sandy about that in advance. I hear he has that feeling all the time. :rolleyes:

BBDave