PDA

View Full Version : Family Cross Racing

willy in pacifi
12-02-2008, 05:02 PM
A couple of weeks ago I tried my first cross race and loved it.

I've read many time how folks try their first CX race and love the sport but believe me it is true.

I have a great bike and really have not used it as it should be used so my buddies talked me into racing. I cannot believe how well that thing sticks to the ground with the right tire pressure.

Raced again last weekend in Golden Gate Park and had a blast. Even got my 11 year old daugther to race the Junior 10-14 and next weekend may be able to get her little sister in there as well.

I am very lucky that my girls love some of the things I do and very fortunate that they love to ride their bikes especially with their dad.

willy in pacifica

Chris
12-02-2008, 05:04 PM
that rocks.

SpeedyChix
12-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Sweet!
Here's to you all sticking with it too. Especially your daughters.

girlie
12-02-2008, 05:17 PM
NOW this is sweet.
Great pictures.
Here is a cool place your daughters might like to visit.
http://www.mmracing.org/

http://picasaweb.google.com/matthewr8/2007CyclocrossNationalsDay4WomenSElite#

Seriously cool.
girlie

willy in pacifi
12-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Sweet!
Here's to you all sticking with it too. Especially your daughters.

My 8 year old is really into biking. She even knows how to remove, clean and replace my cassette. She is a major "Daddy's Girl".

The 11 year old raced but was a bit overwhelmed by it all. She did fine when we practiced the day before but she is on the tiny side and has a tough time lugging that Kona up the hills. I think if I get her younger sister in the race they will be able to help each other. It is very cute to see them help pull each others bikes up the steeper hills.

We also have a 5 year old daughter but it will be a while before she gets out there.

But look out as the 11 and 8 year olds are red belts in Kajukenbo and we should all be black belts around this time next year. I figure they will be able to take care of themselves once they start dating.

Our motto is, "if at first you don't succeed, kick em in the groin"

Chad Engle
12-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Very cool!!

fourflys
12-03-2008, 09:29 AM
So AWESOME! My oldest is more into reading than riding her bike, which is ok and I love her just the same. That would be so cool though to have a family member that shares your passion!
Good for you!

pdbrye
12-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Great pics, beautiful family! Love the matching family kit.

Great stuff!

timto
12-03-2008, 01:57 PM
what an amazing family. cheers to you. you're doing something right!

My twins are 7 mo's now. I fantasize about riding trails with them and their mom (also a cyclist) in the future but worried about them being repelled from what I love - much like how I can't stand golf which my dad loves so much.

Share any tips you might have! Beautiful family.

timto

willy in pacifi
12-03-2008, 05:46 PM
what an amazing family. cheers to you. you're doing something right!

My twins are 7 mo's now. I fantasize about riding trails with them and their mom (also a cyclist) in the future but worried about them being repelled from what I love - much like how I can't stand golf which my dad loves so much.

Share any tips you might have! Beautiful family.

timto

We have three girls ages 11, almost 9 & 5. When I bought the oldest her first real bike for her 5th bday it was a $300 mini BMX bike and her next bike was a $450 Kona 24" cross bike. I figured my kids are not going to be riding Kmart crap and each bike will go thru 3 kids.

They take pride in their nice and realativly lite bikes and they are well made and surely ride better than cheap bikes. They are always ready to go if we decide to ride to the beach for ice cream. I take out the brevet bike and we throw lights on their bikes and make a night ride out of it along the bike path.

Plus the garage is full of my beautiful bikes and I commute to work as well as ride on the weekends so to them cycling is a big part of my week. Even if they do not ride with me I can take off for a 60 mile ride and end up 15 miles from home and the girls meet me for lunch and a day at Stinson Beach or in Half Moon Bay. Then I throw the bike in the van for the drive home.

Lots of trick to get in the miles without taking time away from the family.