PDA

View Full Version : Toe Overlap Question

FungShuay
12-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Is toe overlap normal for a road bike? Mine has some and my wife keeps ragging on me about it. She thinks that it is dangerous and something might happen to me.

I tried to explain that something might happen to me and it's not going to be from my shoe hitting the front tire.

Seriously, how common is this?

Elefantino
12-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Is toe overlap normal for a road bike? Mine has some and my wife keeps ragging on me about it. She thinks that it is dangerous and something might happen to me.

I tried to explain that something might happen to me and it's not going to be from my shoe hitting the front tire.

I have overlap because I have my cleats farther back on my size 47 right foot.

No worries.

CNY rider
12-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Two of my road bikes have toe overlap.
When do I notice it: Sometimes at the end of a ride, I like to get the mail on my way back into the house. If I'm riding up our road from the south that means executing a tight little 360 degree turn in the narrow road in front of our house and stopping at the mailbox.
Have to be careful about it then. Otherwise, never been an issue.

I will say however that Mike Barry refused to build me a rando bike with toe overlap because he felt that the combination of overlap with fenders on a bike that could be ridden with significant fatigue was unsafe.
Luckily we came up with something that is perfect for me and has no overlap. The benefit (one of them) of working with a master! :banana:

saab2000
12-01-2008, 07:20 PM
I have toe overlap on this bike. Not on others that I own. They all handle similarly and are similar sizes.

I am not a designer or an expert but I would be inclined to say that it does not need to exist.

That said, it is not a danger. I ride the pictured bike all the time. At any speed less than about 3 MPH doing a 180 degree turn on the street toe overlap is not a factor. In normal turning at normal speeds I doubt you actually turn the handlebars more than 3 or 4 degrees - not enough to hit your toes on the tires.

It would not be a dealbreaker were a designer or builder tell me it was the best way to get proper handling.

Sheldon4209
12-01-2008, 07:36 PM
I have toe overlap on my Co-Motion tandem and I rarely notice it, only when making a sharp turn and I need to pedal. If I am turning at slow speeds I unclip my foot and move it back on the pedal to clear the wheel.
Sheldon

SadieKate
12-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Thoughtful thread about the same topic.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=52793&page=1&pp=15&highlight=overlap

Tobias
12-01-2008, 09:16 PM
If I'm riding up our road from the south that means executing a tight little 360 degree turn in the narrow road in front of our house and stopping at the mailbox. :confused:

Tobias
12-01-2008, 09:21 PM
I am not a designer or an expert but I would be inclined to say that it does not need to exist.I agree. The main exception I can see are very small riders who have to ride bikes with 700 wheels. It's not a big deal for me but why have it if not needed?

dauwhe
12-01-2008, 09:23 PM
:confused:

It's a spinor thing--takes a 720 to get back where you started.

Dave (who dislikes TCO, but it's tough with fenders, shoe covers, cleats way back, etc.)

CNY rider
12-02-2008, 06:31 AM

Let's just all be glad I didn't go into engineering mmkay? :D

redir
12-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Ha took me a while to get this one :)

There was a local community college TV commercial on where one of the students said, "My life has been turned 360 degrees since graduating..." I hope his life was good before he went to college :D

But the point being, toe overlap only matters when going very slow in tight areas.

cpg
12-02-2008, 10:03 AM

What size is your bike?

Curt

bfarver
12-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Toe overlap is nothing to worry about. I ride a 54 and have had toe overlap on pretty much every bike I've ever had. I bike's geometry is based on the rider's body and how the bike is supposed to handle. In many cases, a frame would have to be built with an extreme amount of rake, a very slack headtube angle, or a longer top tube to avoid toe overlap. Doing so would greatly compromise the bike's handling, and a bit of toe overlap is a much better alternative.
Long story short, don't worry about it.

Waldo
12-02-2008, 11:18 AM
I ride with cleats under the middle of my feet and have INCHES of toe overlap. It freaked me out a bit the first few times, but I've learned to avoid it and ignore it when it does happen.

Fixed
12-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Toe overlap is nothing to worry about. I ride a 54 and have had toe overlap on pretty much every bike I've ever had. I bike's geometry is based on the rider's body and how the bike is supposed to handle. In many cases, a frame would have to be built with an extreme amount of rake, a very slack headtube angle, or a longer top tube to avoid toe overlap. Doing so would greatly compromise the bike's handling, and a bit of toe overlap is a much better alternative.
Long story short, don't worry about it.
bingo imho
cheers

Lance Armstrong
12-02-2008, 03:31 PM
I have toe overlap on all my bikes and my motorcycle

RJR
12-03-2008, 10:56 AM
My generous foot size has created overlap on my road and cross bikes. I mounted some fenders on my cross bike last winter. I took off wearing shoe covers, hadn't clipped in yet and was riding slowly down the street chatting with my son. Caught the shoe cover under the fender...foot gets sucked up by the tire...resulting in a glorious endo...looked like a bmx flatlander for what seemed like forever...finally went OTB in a heap. Ego bruised, brifters scratched, all else okay. My wife, who was watching from the porch, just shook her head and went back inside. I'm sure she was humilitated in front of the neighbors. :rolleyes:

Other than that, toe overlap's no big deal! :beer:

RPS
12-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Other than that, toe overlap's no big deal! :beer:Exactly. It's not important unless it is. ;)