PDA

View Full Version : Electra Townie 3

alancw3
12-01-2008, 01:18 PM
so my 38 year old daughter (yeah i am 61) wanted a new bike. she is not the most mechanically inclined. after some research i bought her an electra townie 3 (in part thanks to bill bove, he recommended electra a couple of years ago as a quality beach cruiser). thanks bill. shimano internal hub 3 speed, simple shifting (low gear is great). i have to say that any of us that has spouses, mates or significant others that are not bike oriented need to consider this bike as an option. like i said simple three speed shifting, aluminum bike very light). i would consider this the cadillac of beach cruisers. oh and they have an 8 speed internal hub also, but that does not have the "coaster brake" that my daughter is comfortable with.

cuda2k
12-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Taught my wife to ride last summer on an Electra Townie 21. She's grown up on a very busy street in SoCal so never learned as a kid. She's short in the leg so the Townie was about the only bike we could find where she could sit on the saddle flat foot on both feet while she learned. Quite the experience to ride around on a bit compared to my usual road frames that's for sure!

Ozz
12-01-2008, 02:32 PM
...Electra Townie 21...Quite the experience to ride around on a bit compared to my usual road frames that's for sure!
picked one of these up for my wife a couple years ago....she still needs to ride it more. :rolleyes:

I've been riding it while my 7 yeare old son has been learning to ride his bike. Cool bike, but it is weird not to be clipped in and laying over the top tube...

texbike
12-01-2008, 02:39 PM
I have one that is used for jaunts around the neighborhood with the kiddos and runs to the store. It works great for that.

However, I recently used it for a 15 mile round trip with a few hills in it and I wasn't impressed. It felt soooo heavy (it is) and inefficient with the position and higher bars. I walked away not liking it after that.

Oh well.... it is what it is, but it had me wondering if an old Trek 930 might be a better solution for our neighborhood needs.

Texbike