PDA

View Full Version : Bumblebee - Battenkill Tires?

johnnymossville
12-01-2008, 08:49 AM
I'm thinking Battenkill might be a great race for me next year and thought Bumblebee Dave might have a good idea on what kind of tires would work well for that course. From the pics it looks pretty slick out there.

Any Suggestions Dave, Anyone else? Thanks.

EDS
12-01-2008, 11:07 AM
I have ridden regular Michelin Pro2 Race 700x23 in the past. I don't know anyone who has ridden anything other then a standard road tire.

david
12-01-2008, 01:32 PM
I have ridden regular Michelin Pro2 Race 700x23 in the past. I don't know anyone who has ridden anything other then a standard road tire.

standard road tire is fine from a size standpoint.

the dirt sections have ruts, holes and some sharp rocks in places.
cutting a tire or getting a pinch flat is a possibility.
puncture resistance wouldn't hurt.

if it's wet, traction will be compromised.

the ideal tire is a tubular, pressure adjusted according to conditions.

Pete Serotta
12-01-2008, 01:41 PM
BB Dave has been known to have "more than a few" flats so keep that in mind in regard to his recommendations. When he go tot my house last week and took his bike out he had a flat!!!! Seems to be his calling card :D :D

Ask DBRK and the gang about Dave's tires at the RAMBLE :D :D

Yep "pick on Dave Day"

I'm thinking Battenkill might be a great race for me next year and thought Bumblebee Dave might have a good idea on what kind of tires would work well for that course. From the pics it looks pretty slick out there.

johnnymossville
12-01-2008, 01:58 PM
BB Dave has been known to have "more than a few" flats so keep that in mind in regard to his recommendations. When he go tot my house last week and took his bike out he had a flat!!!! Seems to be his calling card :D :D

Yep "pick on Dave Day"

LOL!

johnnymossville
12-01-2008, 02:02 PM
standard road tire is fine from a size standpoint.

the dirt sections have ruts, holes and some sharp rocks in places.
cutting a tire or getting a pinch flat is a possibility.
puncture resistance wouldn't hurt.

if it's wet, traction will be compromised.

the ideal tire is a tubular, pressure adjusted according to conditions.

Thanks Dave, I was looking at Dave's pics and the road surface looks slick as you-know-what. I'm sure if it's wet it rides a bit differently than if those roads are dry.

BumbleBeeDave
12-01-2008, 02:40 PM

Yep "pick on Dave Day"

. . . from the Peanut Gallery! :D ;)

The only time I rode the course was at the cyclo-sportif last year in the fall and I rode 30mm cross tires. But all the racers I have seen have used standard road tires. My speculation is that you lose time on the dirt sections with the slick tires, but you'd lose a whole lot more on the paved sections if you raced on knobbies. The popular solution seems to be to bring an extra set of wheels in case of a flat. They have several wheel vans that follow the various races. If you're at all close to the main peloton in any of the age classes you should be OK. But make no mistake--get a flat and you ARE out of contention. but many of the "racers" seem to be riding it more as a personal challenge than to actually win.

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
12-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Most are in pretty good shape unless it rains. Even the sections with lots of gravel usually have the standard clear hard--packed strips worn by passing car tires. It's almost like riding on pavement anyway.

BBD

tomwd3
12-01-2008, 02:47 PM

You should race on 700x23.
Your best course of action is stay as close to the front as possible in dirt sections so you can avoid the worst potholes & the rocks on Meeting house rd. It's a fast & hard race and you'll be giving up too much with a 28.
Unless your a sandbagger! :D

johnnymossville
12-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks for all the tips BumbleBee! It's a bit of a haul up there for me, BUT,... it looks like something I really want to try. We just don't have many races like that to choose from.

I have a set of Shimano Tubeless Rims I'm gonna use, and possibly put on those new "Intensive" tires Hutchinson makes if they are on the market in time. They have a bit of tread on them.

david
12-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks for all the tips BumbleBee! It's a bit of a haul up there for me, BUT,... it looks like something I really want to try. We just don't have many races like that to choose from.

I have a set of Shimano Tubeless Rims I'm gonna use, and possibly put on those new "Intensive" tires Hutchinson makes if they are on the market in time. They have a bit of tread on them.

where are you coming from?
i live in downstate ny, about three hours from the course.
i did it last year and loved it even though i flatted early and soloed most of the remaining 40 miles.
dave is right about being out of contention unless you can get a really fast wheel change from the follow vans. each age group/cat has one.
i had a slow leak from what i guess was a pinch. found myself drifting off the back and struggling to keep pace. thought i was just getting blown out the back.
despite my desperate attempts to stay within closing range, i lose too much ground and the wheel van goes around me.
one minute later and i'm on my rim.
bummer.
but it is a great course and even if you just end up slugging it out you'll still have a good time.
go for it!

johnnymossville
12-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Hi David, I'd be driving up from Baltimore. I know a few guys from down here that raced it last year, one of them came in 4th in one of the Categories.