PDA

View Full Version : School me in mountain bike rear derailleurs

sbornia
11-29-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm thinking about replacing a SRAM X7 rear derailleur with Shimano XT, but there are so many different XT models I could use some help navigating. The last mountain bike I rode had a traditional ("high normal") XTR derailleur with XTR trigger shifters from 2001, so that's been my most recent experience.

I now see that there a lots of choices -- high normal, low normal ("rapid rise"), and "shadow" that fits closer to the cassette. My typical rides are cross country terrain with lots of climbing but no seriously technical sections. I'll probably be perfectly happy with a traditional high normal piece, but wonder if the low normal would enhance the shifting experience in a meaningful way? If I've done my homework correctly, using a low normal derailleur with traditional trigger shifters will reverse the functionality of the buttons, which might be odd.

What say you, oh wise brain trust?

Also, it looks like the manner in which the cable inserts into SRAM and Shimano derailleurs is different -- SRAM goes in directly, while Shimano curves around and makes a loop (like road derailleurs). Should I expect any issues in swapping one style for the other?

Ken Robb
11-29-2008, 12:27 PM
why do you want to swap derailers?

sbornia
11-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Upgraditis + prior positive experience with Shimano.

Kirk Pacenti
11-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Upgraditis + prior positive experience with Shimano.

The Shadow design is (imo) the last word in rear derailuer tech!

I have been on SRAM for the last 10 years but decided to give the new Shimano design a go. I am really liking the performance and the narrow design has real world benefits for riders in rocky / rooty terrain.

Cheers,

KP

rex
11-29-2008, 06:13 PM
I don't think that the shifters are compatible.

sbornia
11-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Kirk, thanks for comments on the Shadow, sounds like it's worth a try.

Rex, I think you're right...but that's ok b/c I don't really like SRAM's push-push triggers compared to Shimano's push-pull. So I may swap both pieces out for XT.

rex
11-29-2008, 07:11 PM
I really like shimano triggers as well, but I have switched my front shifter to a SRAM twist shift because it so much easier to trim the front derailleur. It was kind of strange to get used to at first but now I love it.