PDA

View Full Version : OT iPod Sync Question

keno
11-29-2008, 08:42 AM
I have an 80gig iPod Classic. If I make a change in one of the playlists, have chosen manually sync, check only the playlist with the change, and then sync, the software nevertheless seems to start over and syncs everthing as if for the first time. It takes a very long time for a simple change.

Is there a solution, something I'm missing?

keno

OldDog
11-30-2008, 08:05 AM
bump.

And, can more than one ipod download from the same pc, i.e. can my buddy download his ipod with my playlists? I too have the 80 gig Classic.

Thanks.

oldguy00
11-30-2008, 09:16 AM
I have an 80gig iPod Classic. If I make a change in one of the playlists, have chosen manually sync, check only the playlist with the change, and then sync, the software nevertheless seems to start over and syncs everthing as if for the first time. It takes a very long time for a simple change.

Is there a solution, something I'm missing?

keno

I believe that is normal. Sync is meant to sync up the entire library, not just a selected item. But, you should probably find an ipod forum and post it there, they'd know for sure.

I was playing with a friend's iphone last night, really cool. Outside of heart rate, it can even be used like a garmin for sports with its GPS capabilities!

oldguy00
11-30-2008, 09:17 AM
bump.

And, can more than one ipod download from the same pc, i.e. can my buddy download his ipod with my playlists? I too have the 80 gig Classic.

Thanks.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA44535?viewlocale=en_US#faq6

oldguy00
11-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Keno, try this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2016219_sync-songs-ipod.html:

or this from apple:

# To automatically update your iPod with only certain playlists, select "Sync music" and "Selected playlists," and then select the playlists you want synchronized.

Charles M
11-30-2008, 10:28 PM
And yes you can have more than one device run from your PC. But they'll all get sync'd the same way... I have 3 Ipods and Apple TV on the same PC.

There are also several programs to "migrate" music from other IPODS to your pc.

keno
11-30-2008, 11:30 PM
I loaded some music in the iTunes Library to a friend's Classic and kept the music intact that was already on his. When I connected his iPod to my PC, the software asked, in essence, if I wanted his device to be synched as mine is or just to sync additional music to his that I created in a new playlist. None of it was purchased music but came from CDs.

keno

OldDog
12-01-2008, 08:57 AM
I'm pretty sure you cannot load your buddys purchased itunes to your system. My brother in law has a computer shop, I purchased a gazillion gig external drive from him. He loaded it up with all the music in his files. itunes from someone else would not load into my itunes without an account number. All other mp3 came over fine.

Thanks all for the info and links and to you Keno for allowing me to ride your thread.

12-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Smith Micro makes a product called TuneRanger (or something like that) that lets you sync multiple libraries, sync to multiple iPods, etc. Because Apple is so into open digital rights, they made iTunes very restrictive in how it would update and share files. But that doesn't mean others don't have better sync'ing software available. There are several products around -- I've used Smith's and found it worked reliably, both on Mac and Vista.

And also you can manually update your iPod by dragging out the folder or files you wanted to delete and dragging in the ones you do. It's a bit funky but works fine.