PDA

View Full Version : Websites with .GPX files to download...

SoCalSteve
11-29-2008, 12:04 AM
Hi all,

Besides MotionBased.com and MapMyRide.com , what other websites are out there that allow you to download other peoples rides in .GPX format/files to put on my Garmin Edge 705?

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

ada@prorider.or
11-29-2008, 12:32 AM
google

SoCalSteve
11-29-2008, 10:18 AM
google

I'm curious as to what you mean by this...

Do you mean I should do my own research (which I have done, I am looking for more) through Google? Or, that Google has a database of .GPX files? And, if Google does have this database, how do I find them?

Please explain.

Thank you,

Steve

Rover-Rich
11-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Steve, I don't know the answer, but was wondering if you are having as much problems with MotionBased as I am? It seems that it takes at least two or three attempts to upload data from my garmin to the site. The problem has been getting worse, I'm not sure if this is because of Motionbased's planned migration of data to garmin or not. Any insight?
RR

SoCalSteve
11-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Steve, I don't know the answer, but was wondering if you are having as much problems with MotionBased as I am? It seems that it takes at least two or three attempts to upload data from my garmin to the site. The problem has been getting worse, I'm not sure if this is because of Motionbased's planned migration of data to garmin or not. Any insight?
RR

No insight, sorry. I dont seem to have any problems at all uploading to MB. The problems I am having is downloading GPX files from their site as they are so HUGE that the Edge 705 cannot deal with them.

When I download files from Mapmyride.com, the 705 has no problems at all dealing with the much smaller files...

I am clueless as to why MB does this..Or, maybe I am doing something wrong.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!

Steve

ada@prorider.or
11-29-2008, 12:56 PM
del

SoCalSteve
11-29-2008, 01:00 PM
well if you have a garmin you can import them in google earth

sent me a gpx and i will sent you a pic of google where its imported

ada@prorider.org
cees

Must be a language gap as my question is where do I find OTHER peoples GPX files...Not where-how to import and look at my own.

I know Google Earth reads GPX files.

I would love to know where to find other peoples rides and download them to my Garmin.

Thanks!

Steve

ada@prorider.or
11-29-2008, 01:05 PM
ohhh
sorry
you could also make them by your own
in google earth , mapsource ...........
there so many option
i would look for kml files and covert them to gpx
there many more kml(wich is a xml file) around then gpx

http://tramper.co.nz/?view=gpxFiles

1centaur
11-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Just a tip in case it helps - I download other people's gpx files from MB for use on the Computrainer. I have found at least half those files not to load properly in Computrainer. What I have discovered is that if I download the gpx to a thumb drive, then upload that file into bikeroutetoaster.com, then download that file from BRT to my thumb drive and upload it to CT I never have a corrupt data file. Translation, I think BRT cleans up GPX files in a way MB does not. You might try that intermediate step on your way to the Garmin.

jbrainin
11-29-2008, 06:04 PM
To load rides into a 705, you want to use tcx files, not gpx as tcx files are the native format for the 705.

I uploaded the tcx file of a route last night from MotionBased to my 705 without any problem. I rode the route today and was quite pleased to be able to follow the route on the map display rather than having to follow a cue sheet.

I've found it best to download files using the CRS download option in MotionBased.

SoCalSteve
11-29-2008, 06:11 PM
To load rides into a 705, you want to use tcx files, not gpx as tcx files are the native format for the 705.

I uploaded the tcx file of a route last night from MotionBased to my 705 without any problem. I rode the route today and was quite pleased to be able to follow the route on the map display rather than having to follow a cue sheet.

I've found it best to download files using the CRS download option in MotionBased.

Ok, now I'm just downright CONFUSED!!!

I can see how you can download a CRS file from MB. What is a TCX file and how do I get this? Is there some kind of conversion from CRS to TCX? Also, once I do have a TCX file, how do I put it in the 705? Do I put it in the GPX folder on its drive? Or???

Help!!!

Thanks,

Steve

jbrainin
11-29-2008, 07:44 PM
It is a bit confusing. To make it even a little more hard to understand, both the HST and CRS export options create tcx files. The CRS-sourced tcx file is just a little smaller and seems to work when exported to a 705 (whereas the HST-sourced tcx files I've downloaded don't seem to work. I don't know why.) It is necessary to import the tcx file into Garmin Training Center and then upload it to the 705 from there.

This should work. Let me know if you remain stuck.

SoCalSteve
11-29-2008, 09:25 PM
It is a bit confusing. To make it even a little more hard to understand, both the HST and CRS export options create tcx files. The CRS-sourced tcx file is just a little smaller and seems to work when exported to a 705 (whereas the HST-sourced tcx files I've downloaded don't seem to work. I don't know why.) It is necessary to import the tcx file into Garmin Training Center and then upload it to the 705 from there.
This should work. Let me know if you remain stuck.

And where does this TCX file come from? I downloaded a CRS file from MB and put through Garmin Training and into the 705...

Again, where do I get TCX files from???

Thanks (again),

Steve

jbrainin
11-30-2008, 10:53 AM
If you've managed to export the file from MotionBased, import it into Garmin Training Center and upload it into your 705, you should be all set and the CRS/tcx stuff is no longer of concern. If all this went correctly, the file you exported from MotionBased should be listed as a course on your 705 when you go to the Training menu and select the course option.

Check and confirm that your desired route is showing up as a course on the 705. If so, the question of the tcx file is irrelevant as you've already found it and done everything necessary to get in into the 705.

SoCalSteve
11-30-2008, 12:28 PM
If you've managed to export the file from MotionBased, import it into Garmin Training Center and upload it into your 705, you should be all set and the CRS/tcx stuff is no longer of concern. If all this went correctly, the file you exported from MotionBased should be listed as a course on your 705 when you go to the Training menu and select the course option.

Check and confirm that your desired route is showing up as a course on the 705. If so, the question of the tcx file is irrelevant as you've already found it and done everything necessary to get in into the 705.

Yes, yes, yes...all went well!

A couple more questions: Is there a difference between a "course" and a "route"?

And, lastly: Does the 705 navigate you from where you are starting to the beginning of the course or route? It seems like this only works sometimes...

As always, thank you in advance!

Steve

jbrainin
11-30-2008, 01:51 PM

jbrainin
11-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Yes, yes, yes...all went well!
Good. Yesterday, I followed the course as highlighted on the display and was spared the hassle of navigating by cue sheet. I haven't used turn by turn instructions as I haven't need them and I haven't spent the time to figure out how make that feature function.

A couple more questions: Is there a difference between a "course" and a "route"?
I gotta learn to be consistent in the terms I use! I mean them to be the same. Just forget that I used the word route and all will be well.

And, lastly: Does the 705 navigate you from where you are starting to the beginning of the course or route? It seems like this only works sometimes...
I don't know. I notice that if I load a course that I will be driving to while I am still home, the 705 tells me the distance to the starting point. Since I already know how to get to the starting point of the ride, I just turn off the computer at that point.