PDA

View Full Version : OT: headphones

znfdl
11-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Now that the winter is upon us, I am starting wake up in the wee hours of the morning to train on my computrainer, which means that I am going to bed at 8:30PM.

My wife likes to watch TV in bed, so I am going to get her a pair of headphones.

Should I go wired or wireless?

Any suggestions for about $200 would be great.

Thanks.

93legendti
11-28-2008, 01:56 PM
There's also ear plugs for you...have you tried any?

znfdl
11-28-2008, 02:00 PM
There's also ear plugs for you...have you tried any?

Yes, I hate them.

paczki
11-28-2008, 02:08 PM
AKG K701s are the best I've found. Better than Grados imho (in my hilbilly opinion).

Blue Jays
11-28-2008, 09:19 PM
Give the models at Howard Leight (http://www.HowardLeight.com) a try. You'll love 'em.

znfdl
11-29-2008, 11:35 AM
AKG K701s are the best I've found. Better than Grados imho (in my hilbilly opinion).

pacski: will be giving the AKGs a try. Live.com net price, $157.

sc53
11-29-2008, 05:09 PM
I have and love the 701's but be aware that these are *open* headphones and you will be able to hear the sounds out of them if you're lying next to your wife! If you're a light sleeper you will hate this. Closed headphones offer much better seal. I have some Sennheiser HD-25 closed phones and some Beyerdynamic DT 250 closed phones also. Check out various closed models at http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/sealed-and-noise-canceling/
Also--the AKG larger phones are quite large in size and don't fit most women's heads that well. The Sennheisers and Beyer's have models that run smaller and fit women better.
:D

pale scotsman
11-29-2008, 08:35 PM
The http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GRSR60 rule. I've got the SR 80's and have used them for 6 years with no trouble. You can spend big bucks, but why...

39cross
11-30-2008, 08:20 AM
I have Grado SR60's and like them quite a bit. They are very reasonably priced - in fact you could buy her 3 sets :-)

Finding headphones that fit her head in comfort is in my opinion the #1 criterion, especially if listening to tv, where the sound quality isn't that great, otherwise she will get tired of wearing them. If the headband and the ear pieces are not a good fit she will probably get fatigued wearing them - and headphones that start to hurt your head after 10 minutes don't get worn. You may want to surprise her with a gift, but maybe instead give her a 'voucher' and take her to a local audio store. Just my 2 cents - good luck!

znfdl
11-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

We have a 5.1 sound system in our bedroom, hence the need for some decent headphones. The 5.1 system is sometimes too much sound for me to comfortably fall asleep. The headphones will be mated to our amp, so that my wife will still have good sound.

I am not a light sleeper, therefore I do not feel that the open headphones will be much of a problem.

Rick, good avice but too late. I am hoping that they fit, if not pazcki is in trouble. ;)

flickwet
11-30-2008, 11:13 AM
I love mine to death, but my wife hates them cause she can hear them. As mentioned previously they are open back which contributes to their clear open sound but which also allows sound to bleed into the room. I cannot listen in bed to a CD without her complaining no matter how much I crank up the volume theres that constant harping sound that simply will not go away. I also use Sennheiser ear bud styles on the trainer and they seem to be OK, not in the same league as the Grados though, apples and oranges for sure.

paczki
11-30-2008, 11:14 AM
f not pazcki is in trouble. ;)

I'm always in trouble.

I find the AKG pads much, much, much, much more comfortable than the Grado pads. I hate the Grado earpads -- the AKGs are plush. Also the AKGs have a very relaxed sound so they'll take some of the edge off of the tv.

39cross
11-30-2008, 11:59 AM
I am hoping that they fit, if not pazcki is in trouble. ;)I hope she likes them!

My son has some Skullcandy phones that are sealed, he likes them quite a bit and wears them for extended periods. I can't hear anything leaking out of them even when we're sitting together.

znfdl
12-01-2008, 06:52 AM
If the AKGs bomb then I will look into the Skullcandy headphones.