PDA

View Full Version : The other power bar...

Kevan
11-17-2004, 09:22 AM
Hot Dogs!

There's a discussion going on here at the office about these wonders of culinary art, which made me think this would be a fun thread to share with you folk.

So... where, what, and how are your favorite dogs served? Or even... your least favorite?

Fav: 2 dogs grilled (Boar's Head), sauerkraut, mustard, with potato bun. :cool: :cool:

1st fav place: Walter's in Mamaroneck NY. Dogs are okay, but the location is terrific. Love the pagoda styled building. I'd offer the website but it locked up my computer. :cool:

2nd fav place: any NYC street corner. Sabrett's dirty dog, or even better the spicy sausage with the works! :D

Least Fav: Yankee stadiium served. They been sitting in the bun for umptin' hours waiting to be served. :confused:

Spinner
11-17-2004, 09:38 AM
1st: A Kosher Coney from Leo's Coney in Royal Oak, MI (a crunchy, grilled dog lying in a pond of succulent chili a-top a bun with onion in a great crowd watching dining room)

2nd: A standard chili dog from Tony Packo's Cafe in Toledo, OH (this joint is a shrine to chili dogs, and heartburn, with autographed buns lining the walls, how kitsch)

Sandy
11-17-2004, 09:42 AM
"Where, what, and how are your favorite dogs served?" Normally in the kitchen or living room- A biscuit or some pieces of chicken. I call Darby over and slowly give him the food out of the palm of my hand....

Oops, sorry Kevan, you meant another type of dog. :) :)

You know Who

pale scotsman
11-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Lucky Dog stands in the French Quarter, New Orleans. Maaannnn those babies taste good after gettin' "hypnotized" on Bourbon Street. Saw one of the best brawls ever at a Lucky Dog stand. This smokin' hot chick in a white dress was standing on the corner with her back to us. Man, she looked good. A guy runs up and grabs her jacket yelling "*****", she turns around swinging and they go toe to toe, and fall on the ground tearing each other up. When we got up closer turns out the hot chick was a dude, and he/she handed out a whoopin' of epic proportion. Gotta love the Big Easy! :beer:

scottcw
11-17-2004, 10:10 AM
Gray's Papaya.

Too Tall
11-17-2004, 10:27 AM
Papaya King in NYC. However, deep fried dawgs have fascinated me since I saw a Food Network piece on famous American eats.

Bill Bove
11-17-2004, 10:29 AM
Casey's in Natick Mass. A local secret. I like mine with mustard of course and ketchup (Hienz :D) and Tabasco. How can you eat a dog without Tabasco :confused:

Kevan
11-17-2004, 10:40 AM
thru NJ, I dragged the family off the Garden State Pkwy into the lovely town of Camden in order to partake of Rutt's Hut famous "Ripper". Deep fried, this establishment has been mentioned both on the Food Network and PBS, as having unusual and tasty dogs. I just HAD to go.

To be honest, I wasn't smitten, even with their homemade relish. :confused:

My family, to this day, has never forgiven me the detour...

bcm119
11-17-2004, 10:55 AM
Outside of New Paltz, NY on rte. 44/55 going up to Minnewaska, there is a place called the Swiss Country Chalet. They have several hard to find German beers on tap, and their dogs are the absolute best. Kraut and intense german mustard.

Or, one of the street vendors parked outside the Metropolitan Mus of Art in NYC! I think they just taste better there because you've been standing on your feet for 4 hours in a museum.

CNY rider
11-17-2004, 11:47 AM
The best street dogs I have ever had are served in downtown Toronto. A good dog on a rich yellow egg bun, sold with a soda for $2 CDN (that's two loonies or a toonie).

christian
11-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Hot Dogs!

Kevan,

I can't believe you missed it! My wife and I led a series of three rides this summer to hot dog stands in the NYC/Westchester area for NYCC.

Our inaugural ride was (of course) to Walter's. But our final ride was to the Red Rooster in Brewster. It was great! Have you been there? If not, I've got a cue sheet that goes NYC - White Plains - Saxon Woods - Rosedale Deli - Mamaroneck - Bedford Village - 121 - Bogtown/Mills/Titicus - 22N (busy) into Brewster.

I anticipate re-doing the series next summer, and also trying to find a good hot dog place in Lake Mahopac. Let me know if you want the cue sheet.

Best,
- Christian

Kevan
11-17-2004, 12:03 PM
Send it on! I might modify it a bit for our WCC rides. What a great idea!

Keep in mind that there are hot dog vans usually set up on route 100 just north of Millwood, which happens to be very near the bike path and this section of 100 is very popular with the roadies. The dogs on these trucks are dang good with a black cherry soda. :D

Know the Red Rooster all too well. Good burger and fries.

christian
11-17-2004, 12:37 PM
Keep in mind that there are hot dog vans usually set up on route 100 just north of Millwood

Yes, isn't that the home of Franks^2 (aka Frank's Franks)?

I'll put the cue sheet on my website when I get home (around 8pm) and post a link for all to enjoy.

- Christian

geezohwiz
11-17-2004, 12:47 PM
Delaware Avenue, North of Spring Garden

Dangerous to get there by bicycle, but outstanding hot dogs and hot sausages. Highest rating, 5 Grease stains, from hollyseats.com (for reference, Gray's Papaya got 3!)

I an a hot dog aficionado and was just recently introduced to Johnny's. Well worth the trip!

MadRocketSci
11-17-2004, 07:58 PM
that place in Chicago (Lincoln Park) where large black women go off on your real and imagined inadequacies when you step through the door...what's that place called again?

OldDog
11-17-2004, 08:22 PM
every night in the summer time, my camper along the beautiful Susquahanna River, upstate PA, nightly campfire and dogs by Jerry's market if ya want 'em, Abes chili sauce on a Martin's potato roll. :hello: Usally Serriea Neveda on tap. :beer: After an evening ride, of course.

christian
11-17-2004, 08:23 PM
Kevan,

Here's the cue sheet:

http://www.christianedstrom.com/cue_sheets/

It's the only one in there for now, but I'll probably start dumping all my cue sheets in that directory...

Cheers,
- Christian

OldDog
11-17-2004, 08:25 PM
I'll be making some weekend trips this winter to find some of these places.
So much for shedding pounds this winter!

Kevan
11-18-2004, 07:00 AM
I'll have to make it a point to create a route, using many of these same roads that works for us Westchesterians.

Rich_W
11-18-2004, 10:18 AM
I didn't have a chance to read the entire thread... but I'm right with you on the Dirty Water Dogs...

I have this great training loop that takes me up over Skyline Drive, through Ringwood, and West Milford (NW Jersey)... and after the last significant climb, I always stop at this hot dog truck to grab 2 dogs and a can of coke.

So often, the guy knows my name...

If any of you have even seen the movie "The Station Agent", the truck looks just like in the movie... (except for the angry dwarf of course...)

Rich_W
11-18-2004, 10:23 AM
Outside of New Paltz, NY on rte. 44/55 going up to Minnewaska, there is a place called the Swiss Country Chalet. They have several hard to find German beers on tap, and their dogs are the absolute best. Kraut and intense german mustard.

Or, one of the street vendors parked outside the Metropolitan Mus of Art in NYC! I think they just taste better there because you've been standing on your feet for 4 hours in a museum.

Isn't that place called the Swiss Mountain Brauhaus? Right on the corner before the right turn up to the Shawgunks. They're also known for their "Gunks Platter"... a killer burger with swiss cheese, fried onions, served on raisin-pumpernickle bread. The place is cool... the walls are covered with pics of rock climbers from waaay back.

And don't forget the "Top Dog" truck that's always parked on the hairpin when you climb up to Minnewaska.

Too Tall
11-18-2004, 10:34 AM
OMG I almost forgot! This yr. at the annual Seagull Century the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile was located at the 1/2 point. Why was I the only guy willing to belt out a rousing chorus of "OH I WISH I WAS AN OSCAR MEYER WIENER...." in exchange for a wiener whistle? Sheesh what a bunch of uptight people ;)

William
11-18-2004, 10:38 AM
Wein-O-rama in Cranston, RI. (I think that's the name) Been there since the 50's or 60's. People swear by them.

Hot dogs are not big on my list just because I usually stick to lower fat foods.....BUT, Grilling Boars Head skinless franks....Hmmmmm :D . Only occasionally though. ;)

William

bcm119
11-18-2004, 10:45 AM
Isn't that place called the Swiss Mountain Brauhaus? Right on the corner before the right turn up to the Shawgunks. They're also known for their "Gunks Platter"... a killer burger with swiss cheese, fried onions, served on raisin-pumpernickle bread. The place is cool... the walls are covered with pics of rock climbers from waaay back.

The Brauhaus is on the corner, but the Chalet is up towards Minneswaska about half a mile on the left. Its not as nice looking inside, but has better weiners! And if you have one of each of their 5 german beers, you get a t-shirt that says "I climbed the Gunks", even though all you did was drink a bunch of beer. Pretty cool.

William
11-18-2004, 10:49 AM
Oh! OH! OH!

I almost forgot. Brats boiled in Fosters Lager or Guiness Extra Stout, then grilled to perfection on the barbie. MMMmmmmmmmmm. :D

But only occasionally though. :rolleyes:

William

MartyE
11-18-2004, 10:52 AM
Fav: Nathans (Coney Island establishment under the cyclone),
with Mustard and Sauerkraut.
2nd: Sabretts or Hebrew National pushcart at columbus circle
again Mustard and sauerkraut.
3rd (and this is sacrilege to some) A corny dog at the Texas state
fair with mustard.

Marty