PDA

View Full Version : The world needs more CNG busses

flydhest
11-17-2004, 08:07 AM
CNG--compressed natural gas--is a so-called "alternative" fuel that is being used in Metro buses here in Washington, D.C. From what I understand they have less pollution than the standard diesel engines, but from a cyclists point of view, they have almost none. The stinky black cloud that is a horror to ride through and behind is gone. Icing on the cake is that they emit a fair amount of heat so that on the ride in this morning I wasn't gagging and I was nicely warmed. mmmmmm, warm commute.

What the world needs is more CNG busses.

kenyee
11-17-2004, 08:17 AM
the ones in Boston are extremely loud...enough to plug your ears if you're a pedestrian and one goes by...

Glad they're not using diesel any more though. Buses/dumptrucks are the major pollutants...far more than modern cars/suvs...

pale scotsman
11-17-2004, 08:17 AM
Sir Fly - I'm with you on this one. We had natural gas busses in highschool in Ohio, and gasahol buses in Nebraska. There are alternative fuels out there, and they work. The area where I live has tons of natural gas but the local oil companies will flare it off at the well if it's not enough to be "economical". A huge waste in my eyes, but they'll not make any money on it since the CF quantities aren't enough to justify the extra expense.

A buddy of mine, a chemical engineer that moved back to Texas :confused: , worked at a local processing plant, and had a company truck converted to natural gas. It had a cool 1/4 million miles on it when he left 3 years ago and I still see it around town. :)

zap
11-17-2004, 08:18 AM
I agree.

Still can't believe parents havn't raised a ruckus over diesel powered school buses. DON'T THEY KNOW THAT THE CANCER RISK GOES WAY UP WHEN SUCKING DIESEL EXHAUST.

dnovo
11-17-2004, 04:10 PM
And, don't you know that birth is clearly the single greatest cause of death!!! Come on, you guys, get with it. ("Nobody escapes life alive." Old Kikuyu saying.) Dave N.

bcm119
11-17-2004, 05:14 PM
We also need better restrictions on gas mileage and industrial emissions. Its a nexus of thousands of little things that all collect in the water, the air, the soil, and your body.

Theres alot more stuff out there that causes cancer than diesel fumes. You just don't hear about it because someones getting rich while sneaking toxins into the environment.

Working for the EPA, I hear about every sneaky one of them... :crap:

MadRocketSci
11-17-2004, 07:48 PM
And, don't you know that birth is clearly the single greatest cause of death!!! Come on, you guys, get with it. ("Nobody escapes life alive." Old Kikuyu saying.) Dave N.

or to put it yet another way:

"death is the #1 killer in the world"
-Kentucky Fried Movie

vaxn8r
11-17-2004, 08:43 PM
And don't forget the landmark study that showed a direct correlation between a child's height and his/her reading ability! :cool:

zap
11-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Yesterday 09:18 AM

This is a cycling forum and this thread is about diesel vs cng. When riding, I too would rather not have diesel fumes to inhale.

kenyee is correct-commercial trucks and buses pollute far more than personal vehicles.

So, if enough parents get concerned, change could happen. I'm just doing my little bit to help the cause ;)