PDA

View Full Version : SIDI MTB treads shallow?

d_douglas
11-27-2008, 02:54 AM
I just replaced my thrashed TIME ATAC cleats on my Sidi Dominators.

I love Sidis and these ones look practically new on the uppers (and in great condition on the soles) but it seems that I must've worn the treads down or TIME has unusually deep cleats, because now I can feel the cleats contacting the ground when I walk! I commute in these shoes as well, so I guess my walking on concrete, etc. has taken it's toll on the soles without me knowing it because the cleats and the soles obviously wore down at the same rate.

Unfortunately, these are not the Sidis with the replaceable sole treads. It would be a shame to buy new shoes because of this and I will not change pedals, as I love TIME pedals.

Does anyone have any suggestions? These no way to replace the soles on these shoes affordably, is there?

Karin Kirk
11-27-2008, 09:02 AM
I put ATAC cleats on my brand-new Sidi Dominators (for my trip to Switzerland, in fact) and they touch the ground somewhat. So it might be the cleats and not the shoes.

How much do they touch the ground? Every step or just occasionally?

d_douglas
11-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Although it's just a millimetre or so, it is quite noticeable. I suppose once the shoes get covered in mud, I won't know the difference :)

Actually, I am off to ride in Chamonix this weekend, so I will test out the new cleats quite extensively, I hope.

I understand 'tolerances', but I just can't quite understand why Sidi would add a few extra mm's to the tread profiles so the cleat was protected. So far, I just kinda slid while walked down the stairs in my apartment building this morning. Nothing too deadly (yet).

Hi to Bozeman, Karin!

Karin Kirk
11-27-2008, 01:09 PM
And hello to Geneva too!

Riding in Chamonix? Shouldn't you be skiing instead?

d_douglas
11-27-2008, 01:57 PM
I am one of six Canadians who can't ski. Or skate.

Actually, my buddy (used to be on the junior national French ski team) took me out for the first time last year (at 38) onto the intermediate slopes.

Scared the hell out of me, but he insisted that it was better for learning. In the end, it was pretty fun. But I am sticking to cycling.

Actually, for all his athleticism, he doesn't ride bikes. I am going spend NY eve in Southern France with him and am taking my MTB for him. Should be fun!

Darren

OK back to the subject of shoe treads!!!!