PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ride a Carbon Ibis?

fourflys
11-26-2008, 09:05 PM
So, I did a search and didn't anything recent about these bikes...

Anyone riding a Ibis Silk road bike? It sounds like a really good bike with a great price. Any opinions?
thanks,
Chris

SoCalSteve
11-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Guess not...

I have a feeling its just like many of the carbon bikes that are coming from the Far East...Except this one has an iconic name on the downtube...But, I have a feeling that it is nothing TRULY special...

Just sayin'

Steve

PS: Take this for what it's worth as I have never ridden one or even seen one in person.

rcnute
11-27-2008, 02:34 PM
I saw one. You could press the top tube between thumb and forefinger and it would give and spring back. Freaky.

fourflys
11-28-2008, 10:19 AM
I have a feeling its just like many of the carbon bikes that are coming from the Far East...Except this one has an iconic name on the downtube...But, I have a feeling that it is nothing TRULY special

I wonder if this is a bad thing though...

jeo99
11-28-2008, 03:35 PM
I wonder if this is a bad thing though...

It is thinking such as this that has contributed to this country's economic woes!
:beer:

eddief
11-28-2008, 03:56 PM
still eastern carbon, but good name and good cable hanger.

fourflys
11-28-2008, 06:53 PM
I just wonder if asian carbon is such a bad thing? I mean most bikes under $3k come from Asia and I don't think I can afford anhything more than that...

eddief
11-28-2008, 07:39 PM
it was a lightweight solid road rocket. depends a lot on your wallet and your ego and if you could feel a pea under your mattress. i am sure about all three in my own case.

medici
11-28-2008, 11:17 PM
So, I did a search and didn't anything recent about these bikes...

Anyone riding a Ibis Silk road bike? It sounds like a really good bike with a great price. Any opinions?
thanks,
Chris

Wish I had ridden one. I really like my Spanky.

I've spoken to 2 Ibis Silk Road owners. They like them very much. Light, quick,
stable, descends well. What you would expect out of Ibis. And, yes, the price is very nice.

Pete

oldfatslow
11-29-2008, 07:36 AM
go to eBay and purchase a <$500 carbon road frame/fork and enjoy it. When you crash it or it gets broken in transport you can simply get another one. Most of the carbon frames in the world come from fewer than five plants in Tiawan.

The exception would be a Serrota, Parlee, Crumpton, etc but I would ride those knowing that if the moment came when I crashed them I'd be sitting the gutter crying over their destruction.

IMHO, invest your money in steel or titanium or something that will last a lifetime.

kerrycycle
11-29-2008, 08:35 AM
go to eBay and purchase a <$500 carbon road frame/fork and enjoy it. When you crash it or it gets broken in transport you can simply get another one. Most of the carbon frames in the world come from fewer than five plants in Tiawan.

The exception would be a Serrota, Parlee, Crumpton, etc but I would ride those knowing that if the moment came when I crashed them I'd be sitting the gutter crying over their destruction.

IMHO, invest your money in steel or titanium or something that will last a lifetime.

True. Most monocoque carbon frames come from a handful of plants. However, it is the quality of the carbon, the lay-up schedule specified by the engineers, and manufacturing quality control checks that determine the final quality of the bike.

oldfatslow
11-29-2008, 09:05 AM
True. Most monocoque carbon frames come from a handful of plants. However, it is the quality of the carbon, the lay-up schedule specified by the engineers, and manufacturing quality control checks that determine the final quality of the bike.

IMHO, I'll put my <$500 ebay frame/fork/headset plus shipping up against any of the major brands (or minor brands in the case of Ibis) for stiffness, weight, ride quality, etc.).

As I stated, you can't compare my <$500 frameset to one Nick Crump would build but that wasn't the compare we were making.

If you want carbon IMHO go cheap, ride the livin' sheet out of it, and don't shed a crocodile tear if it ends up collateral damage when there is a crash in the P123 field.

zap
11-29-2008, 09:15 AM
I saw one. You could press the top tube between thumb and forefinger and it would give and spring back. Freaky.

Lightweight steel and aluminum tubes do that too.