PDA

View Full Version : Cyclist dies from injuries

A.L.Breguet
11-26-2008, 08:28 PM
http://benepesbikeblog.blogspot.com/

This is sad. Every weekend, 100s of riders pass the spot where this guy was hit

rounder
11-26-2008, 09:18 PM
That was sad. Glad that it does not happen more often than it does. The two fatal accidents that stand out in my mind are...a few years ago a woman triathlete (i believe was in the ironman) was hit by an unlicensed teenager (drunk father was riding shotgun). The article made a point that the ti serotta was unscathed. The other one that stands out was Fabio Cassertelli in the TDF who crashed off a roadside stone. Next year when they rode by, there was a little girl there holding a sign that said Adieu Fabio. It was pretty sad.

Louis
11-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Tragic.

We sometimes get ourselves into trouble, and are not always blameless, but I'm certain that clueless or inattentive drivers are the #1 threat to cyclists in the US.

Blue Jays
11-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Camille Savoy (May 27, 1954 ~ November 26, 2008)
Sounds like he was a nice guy from New Jersey with many friends in Massachusetts and France.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VXNrSt950dU/SS3m4XV9Z_I/AAAAAAAAAm8/UkmwkO4kRTY/s400/DSCN0830_2.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_VXNrSt950dU/SR5YNa3jC0I/AAAAAAAAAmU/2Dm2e0EuHzA/s320/DSCN0838_2.JPG

Horribly tragic news. :(

gemship
11-27-2008, 06:40 AM
Tragic accident. I read the article and then tried to reread it looking for a time of day that it occured and couldn't find that. Well...... I ride a lot in the dark and finally replaced my tail light. I urge everyone who rides to do the same. I have a friend who never wears helmets that says there's no conclusive study stating helmets save lives but oddly enough he is adamant about front and rear lights as thats the law in our state during dark hours. He even has them on during the day when they're barel seen. Personally I wear a helmet, happily and now I feel a little better with a new tail light. At least if I get hit at night I can say I made myself visible. A gain I don't know if this was the case with this accident but it is important to have lights. ;)

A.L.Breguet
11-27-2008, 08:11 AM
gemship, plus 1 on the lights.
The accident occured in broad daylight on a sunny early afternoon.

PaulE
11-27-2008, 07:37 PM
This happened the day after a big rain brought down most of the remaining fall leaves from the trees as well as some branches, and the leaves were still wet. I suspect that accumulated leaves and sticks in the shoulder brought him closer to the white line. 9W North of the George Washington Bridge up to Nyack and beyond is very popular with cyclists, especially on the weekends. Unfortunately there are a few areas where there is no shoulder to speak of and no drivers obey the posted speed limits, which are 35 and 40 on most of that stretch of road. And the bus drivers for Coach USA, Red & Tan, Rockland Coaches (all the same company) will buzz by you within inches on those no/narrow shoulder areas of the road.

Blue Jays
11-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Judging by his kit from the photograph, he likely was comfortable making himself evident to motorists.
The number of drivers seen that don't have the sense to reduce their speed 10-15 m.p.h. when they see groups of cyclists is unreal. Very sad situation.

vqdriver
11-28-2008, 12:03 AM
http://benepesbikeblog.blogspot.com/

This is sad. Every weekend, 100s of riders pass the spot where this guy was hit

further down on that link is another article about a lady who took out a tandem couple and left the scene. only to return later and said it wasn't her fault. cop on the scene kissed her goodbye and of course, no ticket was issued even tho she had taken off. clearly she knew she hit them or she wouldn't have returned...... after obviously calling her friendly cop.

must be nice to have one in your pocket.

vqdriver
11-28-2008, 12:04 AM
ride safe everyone. our families need us. i know my boy does.

Blue Jays
11-28-2008, 09:24 PM
It's puzzling why the death of this unfortunate cyclist has attracted minimal attention. Perhaps because of the holiday?
An outpouring of sympathy from the Serotta Forums community would likely provide comfort to the victim's friends and family.

markberra
11-29-2008, 12:57 AM
very sad indeed, may he RIP.