PDA

View Full Version : Saying good bye to a good friend

Smiley
11-26-2008, 07:27 AM
We'll its starting to set in that my beloved Hors Categorie is going to a new home. The boxes are here, the tape is purchased and its on the stand waiting for me to tear her down one last time. I thought of riding her today one last time but I could not get myself to do that as this frame is going to a new home and I did not want to risk a thing. Its been a great run. You'll have a hard time convincing me that anybody ever will build a more compliant riding bike, Ever. But a new project awaits and the thought of what's in the future excites me too. I am happy that the guy buying my bike knows what he is getting cause he is good friends with Terminaut the crazy guy that rides his Hors Cross fixed and jumps anything in his path.
Just wondering if anybody else feels sad when parting with a very good ride.

Pete Serotta
11-26-2008, 07:33 AM
Raise a glass of red :beer: to recall good times and wish her/him luck on their new journey.

ps== change your footing on your id :D to Bedford :D

PaulE
11-26-2008, 07:46 AM
May your new project bring you as much joy as the one that got away.

Blue Jays
11-26-2008, 07:54 AM
Why are you selling the Hors Categorie if the parting is causing significant heartache? :confused:

Pete Serotta
11-26-2008, 07:54 AM
May your new project bring you as much joy as the one that got away.
;) ;) YEP and that you two bring your "new" Project to SOLVANG in 09

Samster
11-26-2008, 07:56 AM
Why are you selling the Hors Categorie if the parting is causing significant heartache? :confused:for the same reason people get divorced. ;)

Blue Jays
11-26-2008, 07:59 AM
Holy crap! The bicycle cheated on him? Scoundrel Hors Categorie!

hansolo758
11-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Why are you selling the Hors Categorie if the parting is causing significant heartache? :confused:

Sounds like he's trading her in for a newer (younger? trophy bike?) model....mid-life crisis perhaps.

Seriously, Smiley, I know you're giving up a dear friend. I have way too many bikes because I usually can't bear to part with any of them -- it's usually only when my wife threatens to trade me in for a another model that I do. As it is, I frequently have seller's remorse. I feel your pain on this one. As Pete said, red helps.

Smiley
11-26-2008, 08:17 AM
When I told my wife of the impending new project she did not resist since I adhered to the rule of selling one bike to buy another one. The Uniscasi fits better and that had to stay, the Hors was the only on that could fetch good value in this economy. I may next sell my TiMAx but I doubt it. So I will be down to the following bikes:

Co-Mo Periscope Tandem
Kogswell fendered fix gear bike
New Kelly Bedford street fixee (not yet in my hands)
Serotta Uniscasi steel Rapid Tour
Serotta TiMax mountain Bike

New Project bike soon to be announced. Trust me when I say this, all my bikes fit and all ride better then I could have dreamed of. Something must go and I am not willing to part with my TiMax which is also a keeper.

bumperjohn
11-26-2008, 08:20 AM
Before I read your post I thought this was about your dog.

I think that while you will miss the Hors, your new project will make you more than happy. Remember, steel is the real deal! :banana:

John

BumbleBeeDave
11-26-2008, 10:02 AM
DON'T DO IT, SMILEY-PAL!

You can work this out! See if Karen will work a trade--you get rid of some OTHER toy from your man-cave and get to keep the Hors!

BBD

bleusky
11-26-2008, 10:10 AM
New Project bike soon to be announced. Trust me when I say this, all my bikes fit and all ride better then I could have dreamed of. Something must go and I am not willing to part with my TiMax which is also a keeper.

I have seen the future and it is awesome!!

Blue Jays
11-26-2008, 10:12 AM
"...Remember, stell is the real deal! :banana:..."

Stell is the real deal! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1A0p0F_iH8)

Smiley
11-26-2008, 10:13 AM
I have seen the future and it is awesome!!

AMEN brother Andrew, The future is very promising for sure :)

csm
11-26-2008, 10:13 AM
I sorta thought it was about a dog too.
I have an old lab that is in the twilight of his years. we've been discussing the inevitable and the folly of getting another dog before he's gone.
he's 12ish and still gets around. somedays are better than others.

Dekonick
11-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Well - I understand the fit deal - no matter how good the bike is, if it doesn't fit it isn't perfect. I also understand the pressure to keep up with new - especially with your Serotta ties.

Mark my words - you will miss her.

Hope the new project brings as much joy.

fiamme red
11-26-2008, 10:26 AM
So are you going to change your signature now? :)

Listen here, " Hor's Categorie " Best Bike on the PLANET , including Mars and the Moon !!!

Sandy
11-26-2008, 03:54 PM
I sorta thought it was about a dog too.
I have an old lab that is in the twilight of his years. we've been discussing the inevitable and the folly of getting another dog before he's gone.
he's 12ish and still gets around. somedays are better than others.

I thought it was his dog too. Glad it wasn't. I am sending you a PM.

Sandy

Smiley
11-26-2008, 05:02 PM
I thought it was his dog too. Glad it wasn't. I am sending you a PM.

Sandy
U'd be the first to know if it was Blizzard. He is slowing down now and its been awhile that he's beening living with skin cancer, we enjoy every day we have with him. A truly great dog.

alancw3
11-27-2008, 07:22 AM
"Just wondering if anybody else feels sad when parting with a very good ride."

actually i have never felt sad when parting with a very good bike and i have had some extremely good ones. the reality for me has always been that when i made the decision to part with one bike i had acquired another one that i felt even more excited about. in every case i did not part with the old before i had the new to evaluate though.

anyway i find change is good. it reenergizes you for passion of whatever the sport or endeavor.

good luck with the new project!