PDA

View Full Version : Advise on resale of Serotta Hors C

Luigi
11-16-2004, 02:42 PM
I am interested in purchasing an Ottrott, but will need to sell my 2001 Hors Categorie, first. I would appreciate suggestions regarding a fair resale price. All components are Campy Record and the bike is in excellent condition.

I would also like a perspective on the Ottrott. My local bike shop rep. has indicated that carbon/titanium hybrids are best suited for older riders interested more in a comfortable ride than an aggressive one, but as a non-Serotta dealer I question his bias.

I am in my fifties and comfort is indeed a consideration, but I would also like a frame that would serve well in local races.

Thank you for your consideration.

alembical
11-16-2004, 04:35 PM
The used bike is market it difficult. If the Hors is a 59 or 60 give it to me for $633.74 or less and I will worry about those problems. In all seriousness, I would check Ebay, the classifieds here, and the Roadbikereview classifieds and try to get an idea for what the market will pay. Keep in mind that there are big fluctuations, and contrary to public perception, size does matter. Since the Hors is no longer in production, I would think that you could get a fair price for it. Are the parts all from 2001? What is the size? Any strange angles? What is the condition? How is it painted? All of these are questions that will determine what you can get for it.

As to the salespersons comments, they are exactly what I would expect from a salesperson who does not carry what you are looking for. As you likely know with the Hors, a comfortable bike is not necessarily not designed for agressive riders. Sierra Nevada, Postal Masters, and hunderds of other strong riders can attest to that.

Alembical

bcm119
11-16-2004, 04:48 PM
It sounds like typical bikeshop BS to me. You'll find alot of similar stories if you search these pages. I would have no reservations about the racing capability of an ottrott; but wow, what an expensive bike to race! My worry would be wrecking it, not whether its an agressive enough race bike. But everyone's budget is different. Good luck selling the Hors.

bubba
11-16-2004, 04:53 PM
I would also like a perspective on the Ottrott. My local bike shop rep. has indicated that carbon/titanium hybrids are best suited for older riders interested more in a comfortable ride than an aggressive one, but as a non-Serotta dealer I question his bias.

I am in my fifties and comfort is indeed a consideration, but I would also like a frame that would serve well in local races.

Race an Ottrott? I'd keep what you got and get a disposable Caad4 or 5 from Gvhbikes.com. But, I'm just a poor redneck. :crap:

Climb01742
11-16-2004, 05:26 PM
you can go plenty fast on an ottrott. racing on one is very doable, but as others have said, crashing one is the question. :beer:

Serotta PETE
11-16-2004, 06:53 PM
Join the owners club if you are racing....the crash insurance is the best around.
Ottrotts are more difficult ($$) to repair than steel or Ti.

Using a aluminum or steel frame is the best bet if your primary focus is on repair costs from crashing.

Pete

Elefantino
11-16-2004, 07:09 PM
I am willing to empty my checkbook for the perfect 61cm Hors.

But I can't find it.

Smiley
11-16-2004, 08:39 PM
If you sell your Hors you will regret this decision one day cause there is not a bike made that makes the road dissapear from under you like the DKS rear end. The Ottrott is a fab bike but its not anywhere as comfortable for the long haul as the Hors , this is not to say in anyway that any Serotta is bone jarring and certainly the ST stay has alot of cush but again nothing like the Hors DKS rear end, but what the heck do I know anyway :banana:

OldDog
11-16-2004, 08:44 PM
If it's a 53, or even a 52, PM me please. Thanks.

TomP
11-16-2004, 08:46 PM
FWIW, I have a Legend Ti, Ottrott and an Hors. I acquired them in that order. Initially the Legend was my favorite coming from an old steel bike. Then, the Ottrott was a nice jump up from the Legend. This summer I purchased the Hors. It is my favorite bar none. If I could only keep one, it would be the Hors.

Smiley
11-17-2004, 06:55 AM
Your a smart man TomP . I have owned a Legend , ridden an OTTROTT and want to own one soon , but NOBODY is taking my Hors Away .

Tom
11-17-2004, 06:59 AM
If it's a 59 or a 60, I'll walk to Utah and hand you a wad of Federal Reserve notes, you say how big.

Stewball
11-17-2004, 08:19 AM
If comfort is the goal, you don't switch out the Hors!

The others may feel quicker but, I'll be riding my Hors Catagorie in El Tour de Tucson this weekend.

Have fun!
A. J.

Climb01742
11-17-2004, 08:26 AM
ok, another perspective...not saying i'm right...just that it was my experience...an hors is a wonderful bike...and it is very comfortable...but IMO, there are better combinations of performance and comfort...so, as always, it depends on what YOU're looking for...if comfort is supreme, then perhaps an hors is ideal...but if you wish to factor in other ride attributes, there may be other frames to consider...just another angle on things...from the peanut gallery.

Ahneida Ride
11-17-2004, 11:05 AM
Sounds like LBS BS.

Check out Ben's HC http://www.serotta.com/pages/deals.html for $2900. ( Bottom of page )

At the 2003 Serotta reunion, a sweet complete HC was offered at $3000.

Please remember that these are asking prices. But then I have to ask,
why sell ?

Dekonick
11-18-2004, 10:28 PM
Why oh why would you sell your Hors Cat?

If its 55.5 or 56 cm I would buy it myself! Oh how I wish I had a Hors Cat that would take fenders...

I won't ever sell my Hors - no way. No how. Never!

Call me crazy, but if there is one bike to keep around, its your Hors.

If you must sell, send it to me as Sandy is paying for it. :D