PDA

View Full Version : Winter Road Shoes

ctric
11-25-2008, 09:43 AM
I like winter riding and hanging up the booties for a pair of winter shoes.
Before plunking down the money for the Sidi Hydro GTX, I'd like to know if anyone has the new Specialized winter road shoe(which is less than 1/2 the price of the Sidis) and what you think of them.
I and my toes thank you.

cp43
11-25-2008, 10:11 AM
I don't know about the Specialized or Sidi ones, but I have a pair of Lake winter boots. I really like them, and the come in wide sizes. I have the MTB version (2 bolt cleats only), but they make a road version that takes 3 bolt cleats.

Chris

rwsaunders
11-25-2008, 10:20 AM
BBDave turned me on to a sale last year at Performance for a pair of Northwave Fahrenheit winter shoes....under $100 if I recall. They have performed well in frigid and damp conditions.

Surprisingly, they were not zebra striped and they do not attract bees. :cool:

CNY rider
11-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Lake is it.
Last time I looked, which is quite a while ago, Licktons had good deals and a full stock of Lakes.

Blue Jays
11-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Currently running Sidi HydroGTX boots with neoprene covers to keep the salt, slush, sand, and grit off of 'em. They do a great job of keeping my feet warm with only a minor weight penalty. They are sleek and the velcro cuff yields a perfect fit at the top. Gore-Tex lining performs as expected.

The latest Lake model appears more thickly insulated and likely warmer. I suspect they may have resolved their significant reliability issues. Their previous models often came unstitched, yet I think that's in the past now. If weather was brutally cold, this would easily be my top pick.

Bobbo
11-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Go with the Northwaves - you won't regret it. IMO, better than the Lakes (personal experience), and I have a bud that has the Sidis and complains a bit about cold toes.

tuscanyswe
11-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Have the spd shimano goretex wintershoes.
They are exellent. The only flaw would be the neopren ankle band is not tight enough so it will leak water down if not having tights with fotstrap or similar solution.

Have had northwave and dident like em. Have not tried lake but hear they are good but pricey.

pdmtong
11-25-2008, 01:10 PM
what temps and conditions are these dedicate winter boots optimized for? I surmise these are meant for 25 degree NE cold, and would be way to much for the the pansy hi-40's I complain about here in the bay area. it's rained once this fall and we are still outside riding for now. flame away...I really don't know.

tuscanyswe
11-25-2008, 01:21 PM
i would say the shimano atleast are not usefull for 40 unless u really have cold feet.

Regular shoes with windcovers will do the trick for me untill it gets really cold.

A reason for having wintershoes would be if you walk alot in you shoes aswell. All Shoecovers ive had tend to wear really fast if walking around esp neoprens.

Blue Jays
11-25-2008, 01:23 PM
pdmtong, not silly at all! Temperatures in the high-40's might be a tad too mild for dedicated winter cycling shoes. Colder would actually be a better situation...
Winter shoes in overly-warm conditions might lead to undesired sweating, which could paradoxically leave you colder than traditional cycling shoes coupled with neoprene covers.

acorn_user
11-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Try some nice wool socks. I like Bridgedale medium hiking socks (some are on Sierra Trading Post).

pdmtong
11-25-2008, 01:42 PM
I'll go with thicker socks and toe covers /or booties. I hate to sound like a wimp. I grew up in the bay area but lived in chicago on the south side near the lake for a few years. one day it was - 27 (-86 with wind chill) so I do know what it really means to be cold. conversely, I also know that relative temperature change is almost as bad as absolute. so when it drops from 73 to 45 you feel it. or when it goes from 0 to 28 you put shorts on and run outside! not as lucky as our cycling brethren in hawaii, but do know that still being outside is a real treat at this time of year relative to most of us on the forum.

Blue Jays
11-25-2008, 02:15 PM
"...I also know that relative temperature change is almost as bad as absolute. So when it drops from 73 to 45 you feel it. Or when it goes from 0 to 28 you put shorts on and run outside!..."Agree 100%. Our group of fellas is doing lots of complaining now, yet they'll ride like champs come the middle of January for the exact reason you shared above.

chuckred
11-25-2008, 03:03 PM
what temps and conditions are these dedicate winter boots optimized for? I surmise these are meant for 25 degree NE cold, and would be way to much for the the pansy hi-40's I complain about here in the bay area. it's rained once this fall and we are still outside riding for now. flame away...I really don't know.

"The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco."

dekindy
11-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Many of my hard core winter riding buddies said enough was enough last year and all purchased Lakes. They are pleased with their performance and would do it again. Some still use Toasty Feet insoles in their new Lakes.

ctric
11-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Thanks, getting some good info.

I ride in the NE and really enjoy a good crisp early morning run on my trusty CDA. We've started a tradition of sorts within the local bike club. Early morning 30 to 35 mi. runs on the weekends (down to the low 20's) and, if we're lucky and the wind shifts just right, we get headwinds out and back.
A fun group as long as the toes are warm.

pdmtong
11-25-2008, 04:40 PM
tricky weather here. could be heavy fog in the morning. possible to climb above it. then you get into themicro climates along the ridge. might be so much fog its like raini n some spots. in the sun, might be fine w/o jacket, ride into the shade the temps drop enough you are wanting tights and jacket. I always need to carry a lightweight jacket in the summer since you never know what its like on the coast until you get there. not complaining but for once I'd love to do a long ride with only my phone in the middle pocket.

93legendti
11-25-2008, 05:22 PM
I have Sidi Freeze Road "boots". I think all the names mentioned here will do the job. If it's freezing or lower, I would still use toe covers or booties with my winter shoes and wool socks are a must. Buy based upon fit and price, unless you will race in them. Oh and consider sizing up a half size so as to leave room for a thicker pair of wool socks. When it is 6 degrees out and your toes are warm for all of your ~ 2 hour ride, it is a relief.

BumbleBeeDave
11-25-2008, 05:50 PM
. . . I hate to sound like a wimp.

I can get away with misjudging and wearing a layer too little on my body . . . yeah, it's cold, but I can still have a good ride. But if my hands, feet, or bald head get cold then I'm miserable for the whole ride.

I got the Northwaves--Fahrenheit--and have been very happy with them. They were $85 at Performance on Close-out. Not sure what they've got now, though. I got one size large so as to accommodate thick wool socks and liners if necessary. I end up not being able to tighten them as much as my regular road shoes, but they keep my feet nice and toasty and in the winter I don't need tight shoes for sprinting anyway, just trying to keep base miles.

My only regret is that on the road shoes with slick bottoms it's really hard trying to walk if there's any kind of ice or snow at all. I'm on the lookout for some winter MTB shoes so I can have the tread for walking and use my TIME Atacs for riding on my cross/dirty weather bike. Not real glamorous looking if you're on a road bike with MTB shoes. But again, I'm not trying to be a fashion icon in the winter--yes, you heard ME say that!--just trying to stay warm!

For my head I've been using a trick for several years of putting clear packing tape over the vents at the front of the helmet. It's invisible unless you get real close and really does a great job blocking out the wind. Also if my head gets too hot I can just rip a few pieces of it off.

BBD

xjoex
11-25-2008, 08:34 PM
First the past two winters I used Diadora Chili Extreme mtn shoes for winter riding and commuting. I use them on my mtn and road bike since they both use crank bros. When the temps really dip, I use a pair of Side Trak booties over top. Seriously every other booty is sub par compared to them. Simple construction, neoprene and velcro. I have struggled through trying to get Pearl Izumi and sugoi booties to fit over riding shoes and they are such a pain.

I found a pair of Shimano Goretex winter shoes at Conte's in DC for $75 and picked those up a month ago. They are a bit warmer than the Diadoras and I like them too.

-Joe

onekgguy
11-25-2008, 09:16 PM
I believe my wife is getting me some Lake shoes for Christmas. I've only heard good things about them.

Up until now I've only ever used my Sidi's with PI neoprene covers and some chem toe warmers. I'm good for a little over an hour in near zero weather with that setup.

Change is coming. Change I can believe in. Lake.

Kevin g

thwart
11-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the taped helmet trick, Dave. :p

Think I remember the late great Sheldon Brown doing this as well.

BumbleBeeDave
11-26-2008, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the taped helmet trick, Dave. :p

Think I remember the late great Sheldon Brown doing this as well.

. . . or I may have read it on here. But it works great. All the helmet covers I've seen make you look like the Great Gazoo . . .

BBD

MilanoTom
11-26-2008, 07:12 AM
I can get away with misjudging and wearing a layer too little on my body . . . yeah, it's cold, but I can still have a good ride. But if my hands, feet, or bald head get cold then I'm miserable for the whole ride.

I got the Northwaves--Fahrenheit--and have been very happy with them. They were $85 at Performance on Close-out. Not sure what they've got now, though. I got one size large so as to accommodate thick wool socks and liners if necessary. I end up not being able to tighten them as much as my regular road shoes, but they keep my feet nice and toasty and in the winter I don't need tight shoes for sprinting anyway, just trying to keep base miles.

My only regret is that on the road shoes with slick bottoms it's really hard trying to walk if there's any kind of ice or snow at all. I'm on the lookout for some winter MTB shoes so I can have the tread for walking and use my TIME Atacs for riding on my cross/dirty weather bike. Not real glamorous looking if you're on a road bike with MTB shoes. But again, I'm not trying to be a fashion icon in the winter--yes, you heard ME say that!--just trying to stay warm!

For my head I've been using a trick for several years of putting clear packing tape over the vents at the front of the helmet. It's invisible unless you get real close and really does a great job blocking out the wind. Also if my head gets too hot I can just rip a few pieces of it off.

BBD

Yeah, it's sort of silly to bother with road shoes in the middle of winter, especially when you consider how much extra weight is already being carried with jacket, tights, etc. It's much better (IMHO) to throw a cheap set of Egg Beaters on the bike and use mountain bike shoes. It may not look fashionable, but it's more so than getting off the bike and immediately falling on one's *ss.

Regards,
Tom

93legendti
11-26-2008, 07:25 AM
. . . or I may have read it on here. But it works great. All the helmet covers I've seen make you look like the Great Gazoo . . .

BBD
BBD worried about how he looks on the bike?

The helmet covers work great; they are easy to take on and off; there is no waste of tape and, instead of just covering vents, they cover the entire helmet. I bought mine for $10 over 10 years ago.

Birddog
11-26-2008, 07:29 AM
I know you didn't ask about them, but another + for the Northwave. Mine are the Mtn variety and I use them with Eggbeaters.

Birddog

Blue Jays
11-26-2008, 08:12 AM
http://img.geocaching.com/track/display/007241e2-3af3-4964-98e5-5d36601d014b.jpg

Yeeessss, dumb-dumbs! The Great Gazoo! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcWPgR2df1o)

Blue Jays
11-26-2008, 08:14 AM
If it's cold enough for winter riding jacket, winter shoes, and lobster-claw mittens, I generally opt for a GoreTex helmet cover to join them.
Easy-on, easy-off, waterproof, and windproof.

93legendti
11-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Performance has a 20% sale Thursday...winter shoes and helmet covers included. :)

CNY rider
11-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Performance has a 20% sale Thursday...winter shoes and helmet covers included. :)

Yep and I just got the same email from Nashbar as well.

BumbleBeeDave
11-26-2008, 12:03 PM
. . . would be willing to post those coupon codes for those of us who are not lucky enough to be on the e-mail lists? . . . :beer:

BBD

CNY rider
11-26-2008, 12:10 PM
. . . would be willing to post those coupon codes for those of us who are not lucky enough to be on the e-mail lists? . . . :beer:

BBD

Performance: 502

Nashbar: Gobble

Both say not valid on zebra-striped items. :banana:

oldguy00
11-26-2008, 12:10 PM

BBD

Nasbar code for 20% off $75 or more:

GOBBLE

BumbleBeeDave
11-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Both say not valid on zebra-striped items. :banana:

Why do I always get left out of the good deals??? :rolleyes: ;) :D

BBD

93legendti
11-26-2008, 12:44 PM

BBD
perf: 502
20% all orders $75 or more.

93legendti
11-26-2008, 02:34 PM
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/item_list.cfm?estore_ID=1939&category_ID=&orderby=6&filterby=&view_all=1

Lake and LG winter shoes on sale...

BumbleBeeDave
11-26-2008, 03:51 PM
. . . for posting the coupons! :banana: :beer: :D

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
11-26-2008, 04:52 PM
. . . with the Garneau shoes?

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=26430&item=20-5379&slitrk=search&slisearch=true

BBD

ctric
11-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Went to 2 shops and tried on: Sidi, Lake and Specialized.
I bought the Lakes. The Specialized didn't fit well. The Lakes seemed they would be the warmest and were very comfy. I did not think the Sidis (my normal shoe) were worth the extra $$.

First run in the Lakes: 2 hours in the low 30"s. Feet were warm and comfy.

Thanks to all for the advice

BengeBoy
11-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Hi,

Short-term lurker, first-time poster.

I have the Specialized BG Defroster MTB shoes. I think they are similar to the Specialized winter shoes you are referring to.

I bought them last winter after balking at the the price of the Sidi's.

I love them. I got them primarily for commuting (20-mile round trip, Seattle, so lots of rain). I have had no problem with water getting into them. They are very comfortable.

They are *too* warm over about 45 degrees or so; more comfortable under 40 degrees. I have worn them down to 25 degrees with one pair of socks and they felt fine...with two pairs of socks I imagine they're good for much colder.

I find them much more convenient than wearing booties. I am much more inclined to go for a ride in the wet if I don't have "one more thing" to hassle with, and these boots/shoes are very convenient. One of the best purchases I've made to increase winter miles.

BB

Bob Ross
11-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Not real glamorous looking if you're on a road bike with MTB shoes.

Oh please...

If we were concerned with being "glamorous looking" do you think any of us would be involved in a sport that mandates spandex diapers and foam beer cooler hats?

News flash: To 99% of the public you look like a dork.

I look like a dork too. We all look like dorks. But most of us cycle for reasons other than to be "glamorous looking."

(Sorry, pet peeve of mine...and not just because I ride 365 days a year in MTB shoes on my road bike!)

Bob Ross
11-28-2008, 05:00 PM
...and, slightly more on topic:

I got a pair of Answer winter cycling boots last year. I think I wore them twice. The problem for me is, my regular every day cycling shoes (which yes, are MTB shoes...specifically Specialized BG with Speedplay Frog cleats) plus either neoprene toe covers or neoprene booties are so warm I almost *never* feel the need for something warmer.
(The boots were on sale, I couldn't resist.)
But I rarely ride in temps colder than 23 F, and I never ride when it's snowing, so perhaps the benefits of boots are wasted on me.
(Then again, this year I might try the boots + the booties...that oughtta be good for mid-teens, ya think?)

BumbleBeeDave
11-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Oh please...

If we were concerned with being "glamorous looking" do you think any of us would be involved in a sport that mandates spandex diapers and foam beer cooler hats?

News flash: To 99% of the public you look like a dork.

I look like a dork too. We all look like dorks. But most of us cycle for reasons other than to be "glamorous looking."

(Sorry, pet peeve of mine...and not just because I ride 365 days a year in MTB shoes on my road bike!)

Even if it's all covered with zebra stripes??? :rolleyes:

BBD

hammerdocnomo
11-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Well, I decided to upgrade my foot wear for this winter's cycling and started my research and I found these Shimano Winter MTB and Road Shoe @ probikekitdotcom for $142.00
no VAT, free shipping from Great Britain.

Anyone have experience with these?

They also had the Diadora Chili Zero Waterproof Road Shoe for $58.00 size 38 and 39, not my size, but that sounds like one awesome deal.

Anyway check this site out for tyres Michelin Pro 3 Race Tyres $32.10,
Continental Grand Prix 4000 S $28.53.

Exchange rate $1.51 per GBP.

Happy Holidays.