PDA

View Full Version : San Diegans: Help! I need directions. Old Town-->Carlsbad

Steve in SLO
11-24-2008, 08:13 PM
I will be taking my bike on the train down to San Diego in the AM, and will be staying at my mother-in-laws house for a day, then hopping onto the trolley to Old Town. From there, I will need to get to my father-in-laws, which is off Poinsietta Ave. Is there a bike-friendly route from Old Town to Carlsbad? I did a Mapquest and there were >20 turns, so hard to follow. Any help would be appreciated. BTW: this'll be on Thanksgiving AM, so the Coaster isn't running.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

mosca
11-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Don't know that specific route but this site has good bike-related maps that might help:

http://www.ridelink.org/CommuterChoices/Bike_Maps.aspx

Have fun!

Jeff N.
11-24-2008, 08:44 PM
Find and take Pacific Coast Highway north to Mission Bay. From there, keep going north toward Rose Canyon (Santa Fe), then turn left on Gilman, past UCSD, and then on to Torrey Pines. Keep going north up Hwy 101 through the beach cities ( Del Mar, Solana Beach, Cardiff, Leucadia, Encinitas) until you hit Carlsbad. You'll see a bunch of cyclists on the way. If you get lost, just ask. Perhaps others will chime in here? I'm sure I've over simplified things. Good Luck! Jeff N.

Steve in SLO
11-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks Jeff and Mosca. Between the two of you, I think I've got a way. Now if I could only do something about those pesky thunderstorms in the weather predictions...

Ken Robb
11-24-2008, 09:00 PM
when you get lost call me on my cell-and I'll bail you out. :)

Steve in SLO
11-24-2008, 11:40 PM
I entered your # into my cell, just in case.
I think I should be OK, seeing that the directions basically boil down to "Head north close to the ocean, then turn right and go up a big hill".

Ken Robb
11-25-2008, 05:05 AM
you will probably need a detailed map to find the bike path off Santa Fe Street at the NW corner of Mission Bay. Yahoo perhaps, because once you get on Santa Fe you go north to the end where the bike/pedestrian only path begins. At the end of that you are where Gilman Dr. begins and you go left under I-5 and north into the UCSD campus where there used to be bike path signs to lead you through. If they are missing due to extensive construction just know that you want to come out at the Nw corner of campus at Torrey Pines RD. and Gennessee Ave. Or just find Torrey Pines Rd. on the west side of campus and go north, cross Gennessee and keep going past the golf course to Del Mar.

If the weather is ok and the time is right I might give you some on-my-bike guide service as I live just east of Gilman and south of UCSD.

MarcusPless
11-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Old Town to Carlsbad route (http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2412065)

Here's a route from the Old Town Trolley station to Carlsbad Blvd/La Costa Ave. There are several choices to get from Old Town onto Morena Blvd. Some people get confused going around Mission Bay because the bike path (I think it's called the Rose Creek bike path) isn't terribly obvious.

Watch the turn from Balboa onto Santa Fe Street. Santa Fe is a very small street *right* after you go under the railroad crossing; it's easy to confuse it for an alley and ride right past it. If you do miss it you can just ride up to the next light at Mission Bay drive, turn right, and then the first right onto Damon St will take you up to Santa Fe. It's like going around the block.

The map doesn't show the path between Santa Fe and Gilman, but it's there, and it's paved. If we've had much rain the curve about mid-ways up the path might be submerged and quite likely very muddy. Sometimes you can ride through it, sometimes you have to go around. Approach with caution.

Once you get onto the UCSD campus just work your way to the northwest to get onto North Torrey Pines Road. After that you just keep moving parallel to the coast on the main roads until you get to Carlsbad. Hope this helps!

--Marcus

fourflys
11-25-2008, 11:09 AM
It sounds like you've got what you need and even a phone number if you get lost! But, in case your interested here is the area bike map:
San Diego Bike Map (http://www.ridelink.org/CommuterChoices/Bike_Maps.aspx)

Chris