PDA

View Full Version : just realized what i'm looking for...more of zen from ben!

spiderman
11-24-2008, 09:40 AM
while i was listening to the iowa all-state orchestra, chorus and bands
this weekend...
...my mind drifted to cycling
and this forum.
over the past several months
i've been searching and searching
and had forgotten what i've been looking for...
...well, i realized i want to know 'what is ben's take' :) ...
not so much about the economy or the political climate...
mainly, what is he riding lately...
where is cycling in his balanced life, etc...??
...in a nutshell...
we need more zen from ben!

fiamme red
11-24-2008, 09:45 AM
I'd like to know what he thinks about wearing an iPod while riding, and about waving to other cyclists. :p

Ahneida Ride
11-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Given his historical treatment here .... I doubt his imminent return. :crap:

spiderman
11-24-2008, 10:12 AM
and lock out responses...
...until it seems as a group we're 'safer'
and aren't circling like sharks!

Lifelover
11-24-2008, 10:24 AM
...until it seems as a group we're 'safer'
and aren't circling like sharks!

+1

William
11-24-2008, 10:25 AM
http://ae.rctspace.com/images/Shark01.gif

William ;) :)

Louis
11-24-2008, 10:51 AM

1) That wouldn't prevent folks from starting a new thread on any given Z f B topic.

2) If you're going to post something for all to see on your forum you ought to be willing to have people comment.

Far Rider
11-24-2008, 11:09 AM
After the extraordinarily rude and harsh treatment he received, why would he want to post here again?

I agree with the OP, I would love to read what he's thinking/doing/trying regarding cycling and his business. What a wealth of information and stories from the "guy that owns the joint".

paczki
11-24-2008, 11:18 AM
I think the forum has changed a bit since that harsh treatment. I wish he would post, I'd be very interested to hear what he has :banana: to say.

fourflys
11-24-2008, 11:28 AM
people really treated our host that rude? (this must have been before my time on here as I haven't seen any posts from Ben.)

BTW- I think the same thing happend with Rivendell's mailing list, Grant was posting and answering questions and then the list was turned over to a non-Rivendell Bicycle Works person to manage so it wasn't an "official" forum. So, even if Ben doesn't post here, it's great he hasn't shut down the site.

Chris

Elefantino
11-24-2008, 11:42 AM
If anyone treats Ben poorly, just shut down the forum.

No?

paczki
11-24-2008, 11:43 AM

No?

+1,000,000 :banana: :banana: :banana:

Louis
11-24-2008, 01:00 PM

No?

No !

scrooge
11-24-2008, 03:37 PM
while i was listening to the iowa all-state orchestra, chorus and bands
this weekend...

One of yours make it? I tried a few times back in the day but never had the nerves to put in a good try out.

BumbleBeeDave
11-24-2008, 04:07 PM
. . . at the factory he was on a prototype Meivici AE with gold Shamals. The Meivici had a big "factory prototype" decal on the top tube. I rode with him but ketp a good interval--you know those test mules can explode or otherwise fly apart at any time if the G loads get to be too much. I'd hate to get caught by the blast wave! :rolleyes:

BBD

spiderman
11-24-2008, 05:14 PM
. . . at the factory he was on a prototype Meivici AE with gold Shamals. The Meivici had a big "factory prototype" decal on the top tube. I rode with him but ketp a good interval--you know those test mules can explode or otherwise fly apart at any time if the G loads get to be too much. I'd hate to get caught by the blast wave! :rolleyes:

BBD

i have been looking at the ae
and wondering how it rides!
...more of a detailed ride report
would help even more!

obtw,
yes...our middle daughter is a senior
and was her second time in the chorus.
she has a voice like an angel
and is a direct clone of her mother!
...a delight...!
the chorus and orchestra
closed with the battle hymn of the republic!
...very stirring indeed!!!
makes me want to learn how to play the cello!

Elefantino
11-24-2008, 06:13 PM
. . . at the factory he was on a prototype Meivici AE with gold Shamals. The Meivici had a big "factory prototype" decal on the top tube. I rode with him but ketp a good interval--you know those test mules can explode or otherwise fly apart at any time if the G loads get to be too much. I'd hate to get caught by the blast wave!
Saying one of Ben's prototypes could explode is akin to treating him poorly.

What, do you want him to shut down the forum?

Louis
11-24-2008, 06:50 PM
Saying one of Ben's prototypes could explode is akin to treating him poorly.

What, do you want him to shut down the forum?

Maybe he ought to get a sense of humor first... ;)

BumbleBeeDave
11-24-2008, 07:21 PM
. . . calm down, youse guys! It was a joke! He laughed about it, too!

BBD

Pete Serotta
11-24-2008, 07:37 PM
:D :D :D

Since Dave left Raleigh, our average daily temp has risen by 10 degrees. While it was great to have him visit, we are glad he took the cold weather back with him :D :D

Bruce K
11-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Anyone remember the line from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"

"What's da matter Eddie, you lost your sense of humor?"

I think we're still looking for ours at times.

And, yes, Ben was treated EXTREMELY rudely and I am rather surprised the forum survived.

I think it says A TON about our host and his integrity, but if I were him, I probably wouldn't take another shot at Zen from Ben. Not worth the hassle.

BK

Elefantino
11-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Jeez. A guy forgets to put a little smiley face in his post and everyone thinks he's serious.

When have I ever been serious, except when I am?

RIHans
11-25-2008, 12:26 AM
I also was looking forward to some insight from Ben...
The "Zen from Ben" just chased the other frame fabricators and industry folks, out of the Serotta Forum.

You can look it up. I was welcoming Sir Ben's thoughts.
Behind the scene ****e made the other posters un-welcome.
Hans

Elefantino
11-25-2008, 05:48 AM
The other industry types are still here. They just don't post as often. Check the "who's online" and you'll see that they still lurk.

spiderman
11-25-2008, 10:04 AM
every correspondence ben and serotta has sent my way.
...and i guess the older i get
the more i realize
how much there is to learn by listening
and how little has been accomplished
when i let criticism flavor my words
or actions...
you know,
i can't recall feeling the obligation
to send a letter or even give a response
when i receive a letter in the mail from a company like serotta
letting me know the status of the businesss
and how things are in their world
as they see it...
sure would save postage if nothing else! ;)
i have a feeling the masses of serotta nation
really want to be back in the loop!

BumbleBeeDave
11-25-2008, 02:08 PM
I also was looking forward to some insight from Ben...
The "Zen from Ben" just chased the other frame fabricators and industry folks, out of the Serotta Forum.

You can look it up. I was welcoming Sir Ben's thoughts.
Behind the scene ****e made the other posters un-welcome.
Hans

Do a search and look it up. The posts are still there. Ben had the audacity to suggest that members of the "industry" who frequent the forum might purchase some advertising to help support it. A portion of the proceeds would have been donated to charity.

The reaction was more indignant huffing and puffing than you'd see in a dozen episodes of "Thomas The Tank Engine." Oddly, most of it didn't come from any of the members who I considered to be "industry" types or builders. It seemed to me to be more in line with individuals who just couldn't even conceive of actually being asked to (gasp!) PAY something for everything they got out of the forum. As if Ben's suggestion was some sort of threat, which of course it never was. The reception his comments got was way out of proportion to their content and unfair to the person who was making hem--the guy who has made this whole place possible.

I don't know of any other online forum sponsored by any bike company where posters can freely debate and criticize the relative merits of the host's products and even suggest to members alternative products from other companies. I think those who got so indignant about the whole thing were telling us far more about themselves than they were about our host. I appreciate that Ben didn't shut the whole place down, considering the rude way he was treated in what is essentially his own online home.

BBD