PDA

View Full Version : Steel & Rain Riding

Steelhead
11-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Ok, I just had to ride yestreday, after a night of rainfall, and very wet streets. I rode for about 3 hours and hung my bike upside down (Steel CDA) and pulled the seat post. I got about 3 teaspoons of water running right out of the seat tube, and a very slow drip for the next few hours. My frame is about 18 months old, has been frame savered twice, and the BB threads have a nice coat of Phil Grease, as does the seat post.

Should I go ahead and pull the bottom bracket as well? What about the headset (Chris King) and head tube, should I dismantle that as well and get a good drying out? I'm not much of a mechanic, and frankly the headtube/headset would be over my head. Thanks --

:)

Elefantino
11-24-2008, 11:40 AM
I always de-seatposted and upside-downed my Atlanta and CSI when I rode in the rain. Left it to dry overnight. If it was a particularly heavy gusher, I took a blow dryer (on cold) to the tube and left it on for a while.

Never had a problem. Sold both bikes on this board and the owners still talk to me.

Of course, I now own only ti .... :D

Spicoli
11-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Ok, I just had to ride yestreday, after a night of rainfall, and very wet streets. I rode for about 3 hours and hung my bike upside down (Steel CDA) and pulled the seat post. I got about 3 teaspoons of water running right out of the seat tube, and a very slow drip for the next few hours. My frame is about 18 months old, has been frame savered twice, and the BB threads have a nice coat of Phil Grease, as does the seat post.

Should I go ahead and pull the bottom bracket as well? What about the headset (Chris King) and head tube, should I dismantle that as well and get a good drying out? I'm not much of a mechanic, and frankly the headtube/headset would be over my head. Thanks --

:)
BB should have a weep hole, I would not sweat it. Frame saver is like tar and if you do it once a year and check it every now and then you should be fine IMO.

Steelhead
11-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Awesome - Thanks fellas. :D