PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Saddles...what is it?

William
11-16-2004, 06:22 AM
I have heard (ok, read) how many of you "LOVE" your Brooks saddles. What is it that you love about your Brooks? Since I have never parked my arse on one I'm curious to know what's the hub....bub? :rolleyes:

William :)

dbrk
11-16-2004, 06:41 AM
The leather on a Brooks conforms to said arse and becomes Zen-like in its absence. This, of course, is not something that a plastic shelled saddle can do. I still use the Regal and Rolls and I ride a Flite and even nowadays an Arione on one zootybike but when it comes to the long, sweet days: B17 or Swift. I've never loved the Brooks Pro (though some do, of course) and I ride a Colt too on a French bike.

There should be no break in period for a Brooks saddle. If you set it up properly (flat in the back makes the nose rise just a tad, this being the usual way), then it either works or not. Also, the rails are short and the saddle is long so be prepared for more setback required. All this stuff about soaking the thing in Brooksfeet oil and the like is more like a way to ruin it. It is, however, true that once you ride it, sweat on it to give it that handsome patina, it is even more comfortable---and if this is what people mean by a break in period then so be it. Once a year you slather it with Proofide and yer in bidness...

Don't even get me going on the old French Ideale...just as nice.

dbr(oo)k(s)

MartyE
11-16-2004, 03:42 PM
The hub bub for me is that they disappear underneath me.
Moreso the B17 than the team pro.
DBRK, any thoughts on Lepper saddles?

Marty

dbrk
11-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Leppers are Dutch-made, of course, and service about a zillion bikes in Holland. They are not quite the quality of Brooks in terms of the leather but they are quite nice enough. They are no particular bargain so I suppose I don't see the point, but good enough is good enough.

dbrk

MartyE
11-16-2004, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the response (and sorry to hijack thread).
I've read some opinions that Leppers are nicer than
Brooks so I was curious. Now if I can find that Ideal Rebour. . .

Marty

William
11-16-2004, 04:02 PM
Thank you for your replies. :cool:

I have stuck with the Selle Flite for years after going through a number of saddles. It just fits me right. That's why I haven't tried anything else. But, my curiousity has been piqued.

William

IFRider
11-16-2004, 07:29 PM
and it was love at first sit.

You see, they have always been expensive. Even back when I worked in a shop in the early eighties. I was too cheap and young and endured the pain, that I did not know could be gone.

This is the deal. The shape. The B17 is wide enough in the rear that it supports my pelvic bones perfectly. The first one I bought was from Wall Bike. They offer a money back warranty if not satisified. So I ordered a B17 Special with Titanium rails and the can of the treatment. I received it and opened the box to the hardest thing I ever thought I would sit on, on purpose. I spent a long time installing it. Measure my current saddle height and for aft adjustment. Installed and followed the recommendations for a slightly upward nose. Tried on rollers and adjusted more. First ride out, it disapeared within 5 minutes. I came home and ordered two more and if I was not nervous about mud, I would install one on my hardtail.

Try Wall Bike if you are inclined to experience what it is about.

Warren

Too Tall
11-17-2004, 07:03 AM
You heard it from Siskel and now Ebert's .002 bits. A few yrs. ago I made the switch to B17's and Brooks Pros. Everything was dandy during the cold weather. Once spring rolled around and I started riding hard problems with Brooks became evident. Because of the arse dents, you are nicely suspeneded however you are also nicely locked into a spot. For hard riding, racing etc. I move around on the saddle quite alot. Also, when I'm spinning at high rpms, chasing etc. I get on the rivet and that's extra uncomfortable with the Brooks nose up attitude.

I'd consider them again for Ultra riding but than I'm all gahgah over the Arionne.

Oo, is that cake?

zap
11-17-2004, 08:08 AM
Hence the lack of presence in the pro pelaton ;)

I've found over the years that its the shape of the saddle and the ability to maintain that shape under load is important. todays diaper shorts make it easy for me to go with plain carbon saddles such as those built by AX Lightness.

I think the AX Lightness weighs as much as 1 Brooks rivet :p

Ahneida Ride
11-17-2004, 11:23 AM
William,

You missed your opportunity .....

Personally, I require a seat that does not offer a wedge eeeee.

The B67 affords one the luxury of a spacious platform to park one's
posterior. That is, one's sit bones actually contact the seat.

After about 1000 miles the leather will deform and one can adjust the
comfort level ( hard or soft ) using the tension screw. How do you spell
relief ?

Due to weight considerations, Most Brooks are not racing equipment.

I tried numerous seats/saddles. Only the B67 worked. My first saddle
was a firm but well padded WTB,with a generous platform. OUCH !!!!
Thus the width of the seat is not the only metric for comfort. The Brooks
has a built in flex or bounce.

William
11-18-2004, 10:45 AM
William,

You missed your opportunity .....

I know,
I know!
:crap: :crap:

Don't rub it in. :crap:

But hey, I had fun anyway! :D

William